[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/omputer scientists- good places to work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: SKS2.jpg (483KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SKS2.jpg
483KB, 1600x1200px
Hi folks!

Where are there tech booms that are also in gun-friendly/free states and regions? Also, any CS firms that have a gun-friendly (or at least not anti-gun) culture? Any suggestions in general about being very into firearms/marksmanship and finding a CS job that won't destroy my passion?

Long time /k/ommando here, with a fair amount of world-class CS internship experience under my belt. I've been interning for a few years with a company that consistently rates top 5 for CS jobs/talent. The issue is that for full-time conversion, it's quite likely they'll want me to go to some shithole anti-gun place like San Fran, Silicon Valley, NYC, etc to work in the major corporate offices. I've spent an unbelievable amount of my life living in these terrible places for family/professional reasons, and have no desire to give up my rights and quality of life.

Pic-related, it's my Yugo M59/66. Please help it stay with its big brother.
>>
There's a lot of tech-related stuff in Austin, and a bunch in the Research Triangle area in NC. There's also a lot of government-related IT work to be had in and around Washington, which means you could live in Virginia.

I live in the Bay Area (I'm actually typing this sitting at a cafe in Silicon Valley). California gun laws are bad, but nowhere near as bad as people here make them out to be. Your fixed-magazine SKS is perfectly legal here. As long as you're not a felon, a wife-beater, or a mental patient, you'll be fine.
>>
>>33721756
I was thinking Austin and North Carolina.

And no shit, eh? Small world. I'll be interning in Sunnyvale this summer. I've met some other /k/ommandos, including one very decent fellow who was nice enough to teach me handgun safety/handling a couple of years back.

Anyways, yeah, you can manage to be a gun owner there but it's getting progressively worse. Especially with the recent referendums, I'm trying to avoid living there if I can (ammo background checks, etc). And while most fixed-mag SKS's are legal here, I'd need to remove the grenade launcher from this Yugo to bring it over.

Overall though you do have a better gun-owning culture and self-defense law than New Jersey, but I'd still like to upgrade my rights since I have the skills to pick where I go.
>>
I live in Denver and work in infosec, everyone at my company is pro-gun and frequently goes shooting. We have a company 3gun team and several FFL holders at our company.
>>
>>33721799
Funny enough, infosec is my weak point (I mostly do development). But I'll keep Denver in mind for sure! Colorado seems like a pretty great place to live, and most people who've gone to Denver/Boulder have stayed there after leaving NJ from what I know.
>>
>>33721811
Traffic is shit because dumb fucks come here from commiefornia and dont understand snow + car.

Boulder is nanny state general. Try to work in south denver or north denver. Avoid downtown.
>>
>>33721848
Nanny state general? How so? Good to know.

And South/North Denver, avoid downtown. Gotcha, definitely will keep in mind.
>>
>>33721779
Funny, I grew up in NJ (Bergen County) and now live in the Bay Area. Yeah, CA gun laws are *WAY* better than NJ. And that's really saying something.

The ammo background check is a pain in the ass and I hate the idea like poison, but again, as long as you're not a felon, a mental patient, or a wife-beater, you'll be fine. Besides, Reno is a three-hour drive away, Nevada gun shops aren't going to ask questions if you come in and buy a couple hundred bucks worth of ammo in cash, and California cops aren't going to pull over random cars just to check whether someone coming back brought some ammo with them.

Unless you really, REALLY need an assault weapon or an off-register handgun, or you REALLY want to take a high-capacity magazine to the range with you, California will be okay enough. At worst, you can get a few years' worth of experience and then leave for the job of your choice later.
>>
>>33721856
Boulder is trying to be "hip" and "cool" artificiality rather than their original granola munching as they have been historically. As a result its all speed bumps and bicyclists blocking the road.

Europe levels of shitty place to live.
>>
>>33721703
Silicon Prairie my friend.

Your choice of several super gun and knife friendly states: Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Texas. Some parts of Wisconsin and Iowa too.

Heck, Kansas even lets you fucking carry a switchblade.
>>
>>33721876
Small world! I'm from Monmouth. Would hate to be a gun owner in Bergen, at least the police here are mostly sympathetic.

And yeah, I'm aware that CA would be an upgrade, but I'd really like to live every day not feeling like a second-class citizen. The cost of living is another issue- I'm aware (having lived there for a while for internships) that $90k is just barely cutting it for a livable wage when living in the Valley closer to work. I'd rather take a job for $80k elsewhere than $120k in the Bay, since I'd get to keep most of what I make after taxes/rent/basic costs.

You guys do have a really intensely pro-gun community there, though, which I think is the only thing preventing total confiscation. I really like most of the gun owners I meet there, they tend to be much more advanced in their know-how and skill than the free areas I visit where people take it for granted.
>>
>>33721799
>trying this hard to rationalize your 15 round magazine limits.
>>
>>33721885
Fascinating. Would rather steer clear then.

>>33721914
Fucking saved. I'll keep those in mind.

>>33721925
Fuck, I just looked that up. They're almost as bad as NJ, and just about when you look at Denver's AWB
>>
File: ColoradoCantHave30RoundMags.jpg (1MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
ColoradoCantHave30RoundMags.jpg
1MB, 3888x2592px
>>33721925
>implying
>>33721950
Denver's AWB applies to the city of denver which is downtown only. The greater denver area is a bunch of suburbs that border denver.
>>
>>33721916
Remember, Bergen County is Republican central in NJ. The cops are generally fine with white people legally owning fudd guns. Anything else, however...

One odd thing about Bay Area gun culture is just how many East Asians you'll find in it. Any Bay Area range on a weekend will be the proverbial Chinese phone book that a fat guy has more Chins than. They tend to go for tricked-out memeguns that make the biggest possible booms at the range, but God love 'em for exercising their rights.
>>
>>33721968
Okay, that's a good revision. And I'm not interested in dealing with non-compliance crap. Seems like the Californians are only gonna make your state worse.
>>
>>33722003
Yeah, I noticed the East Asian folks typically get tricked-out memeguns like you describe. Couldn't have a nicer group of people to shoot with though.
>>
>>33722123
how about white people you fucking ricemixer
>>
>>33722147
White folks are pretty mixed because there are many different types of "white", and not a whole lot of "old-country" unity.

Fuck I responded to bait.
>>
File: sherrifs_wont_enforce.png (214KB, 819x855px) Image search: [Google]
sherrifs_wont_enforce.png
214KB, 819x855px
>>33721968
It is mostly unenforced, but you are still at risk of running afoul of the law.
>>
>>33722332
Yeah, I see. Good to know the police are on your side.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160713-065958.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160713-065958.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>33722821
There are 2A supporters in unlikely places, even here behind enemy lines in commiefoenia. Also, based Mimms
>>
>>33721703
heh, I'm like the amateur/low level version of you.

Instead of advanced CS I work small-town IT with a 2-year degree, but I deal with the same shit of almost everyone in my profession being gun grabbers.

Shit sucks man
>>
>>33721756
No it's not. It has a grenade launcher.
>>
>>33721914
If you're just listing off gun/knife friendly states, don't forget to include Maine. We just recently repealed a bunch of knife laws and passed constitutional carry. Probably don't come here expecting a great CS career though
>>
>>33722123
>>33722003
lel I'm an asian who brings surplus bolt actions to the range
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.