[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought my first handgun. I got a Glock 17. Did I do good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: Glock-17-9mm_main-1.jpg (100KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Glock-17-9mm_main-1.jpg
100KB, 1000x1000px
Just bought my first handgun. I got a Glock 17. Did I do good?

Intended for home defense.
>>
>>33720844
Yes , now train
>>
>>33720872

fpbp
>>
>>33720872
hitting the range tomorrow.

What's my goal at the range? Just shoot over and over until I have good aim?
>>
>>33720844
Yes if you didnt spend over $650 before tax
>>33720896
Yeah and accurate groupings
>>
>>33720844
First gun thread?

Local shop was having an S&W sale. M&P Shield 9mm for $375 + $75 rebate.

Was debating that or a G19. Couldn't turn down the $200 difference.

Plus I got a hat, pen, and they threw in 2 free mags since it was the display model.

How'd I do?

(No really first gun tho. Have a 10/22, and Papa's S&W 38 from Korea).
>>
File: 1490946181614.jpg (42KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1490946181614.jpg
42KB, 344x344px
>>33720896
Try going for moving targets and running a few laps to try to get a sight picture while outta breath.
Shooting while under "stress" is good and moving targets.
>>
>>33720935
>Gets a Shield
>Picture is a 9c
>Look at filename
>SHIELD 9mm
Surely this is a ruse.
>>
>>33720965
Don't do this
>>
>>33720971
Not gonna lie. Literally googled "m&p shield 9mm" and took a random pic.

Didn't even look at it. Fuck me, I'm dumb.
>>
>>33720935
I've been trying to talk myself out of this, but I'm gonna do it.
>>
>>33720844
You did good, and if you are a big guy you can still manage to CC it.
>>
>>33721075
Honestly, if you're looking for micro-carry level gun there's little difference.

You're pretty much going to to do the same mods (trigger and sights) and they're going to be the same mostly internally since you'll be going with some kind of striker fired setup.

So just wait for whatever is on sale then do what you want.
>>
>>33721214
Big, but not fat. 6'3", 190#
>>
>>33720844
>>33720935
not bad, certainly acceptable. you'd be cooler though if you got CZ, GP, or something a little neater like that
>>
>>33720896
>>33720844
Glock 17 is a good gun anon. Great for training, which you should do.

as for a goal, just learn how to shoot the gun comfortably. If you've never shot before, maybe ask if they have someone on staff who would be willing to teach you the basics, proper grip, proper stance, ect.

Maybe looking up videos beforehand will help.

Practice getting good follow-up shots. Practice learning how to reload and deliver a fast shot on target. Practice clearing jams (A good way is to randomly load in dummy rounds or snapcaps. This will also let you see how badly you're flinching.)

If it's home defense, get a flashlight put on the thing. Lets you have a second hand to call the police, rather than hold a flashlight.

And if you drop your gun from the recoil, don't grab it, cause chances are, your finger will squeeze the trigger. Then you become a statistic, or you become an anon who tries to claim his glock slamfired or something.
>>
>>33721332
Very helpful, thank you
>>
>>33720844

Depends, how much did you spend?

Other than price, you did good.
>>
>home defense

You can hide them in plain sight within your home. Just put them under the edge of your doors.
>>
>>33721228
My carry right now is a micro, da auto internal hammer fired, but I'd like something in 45 instead of .380. And it's on sale.
>>
File: 20170421_211405.jpg (3MB, 1440x2470px) Image search: [Google]
20170421_211405.jpg
3MB, 1440x2470px
It's a good pistol.
But I find the subcompacts (26,27,32,30,29) fit my hand, handle and shoot much better.
The hump on the 17 (And the compacts, 19 23 etc) is not in the right place. on the subs the hump fits right in the middle of my palm perfectly. I have average to large hands. Ymmv

Alao Stipple your glock bro!
>>
Can anyone tell me if this is a shit deal? Looking to get my first gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/639918446
>>
>>33723351
>http://www.gunbroker.com/item/639918446
its average, honestly you could probably go to any store and get one for roughly the same price after everything.
by same price i dont mean $469.99
i mean $469.99 +30 shipping + whatever your ffl charges for transfers which will be somewhere between 20-100 most likely 30.
550-600 otd is the standard glock price
>>
>>33723351
That's the everyday low price for a nib g3 glock 17. Completely fair, nothing more nothing less.
>>
>>33720844
Stock photo, still noguns or a trolling piece of shit.
>>
>>33720896
Watch some videos on YouTube about safe gun handling and how to improve accuracy. Knowing proper grip, stance, and how to get over anticipating recoil will make your range time more efficient and thus you a better shooter.
Buy ammo online and in bulk. Significantly cheaper than ALL stores and never buy ammo at the range or reloads from a independent retailer at the gunshow.
Next buy more magazines as your budget allows. First thing everyone does to their glock for customization/pimpmyride is change the sights out. The factory weak ass plastic bucket and dot drives some people crazy that learned on three dots. Read up and look at three dot, fiber optic, tritium night sights. Plenty of other options are available: guide rods, disconnecting -,reduced power/ny springs, magazine base pad actions, grip tape/agrip/talon grips, grip chop, stippeling, crazy ass expensive trigger group replacements, threaded barrel, or if you bought gen III can throw a Glock 22 slide on your frame to shoot 40 S&W add a 357 Sig barrel and use g22 mags for multiple calibers out of your pistol.
Shoot it a lot. Don't be afraid to run steel case (tula/wolf) or aluminum case (federal/blazer) ammunition through it. GLOCK is cheap to replace the extractor. Get a holster then apply for a concealed weapon permit. Eventually you could get a g19/26 for carry and know the platform as well as using your g17 mags. Congrats and keep it maintained.
>>
>>33720965
Do this
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.