[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about caliber for a revolver I plan to buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
Ok, i have asked a question previously about buying this revolver, a 357 magnum Chiappa Rhino after watching reviews of it. i want to own it and also carry it (in jerusalem), i was advised that due to over penetration that 357 is too much if it hits some bystander and i should go with a slower .45 acp.
Since then i've looked into different calibers and saw this model also comes with .40s&w and that a 357 can shoot 38 special so i can still get the 357 and use a weaker bullet. i've heared that 38 special isn't as powerful as 9mm so i'm assuming i should use a stronger 38 bullet on that gun. which model would you suggest i choose? the 357 magnum to shoot 357 and carry 38sp, or a 40s&w?

(served in the IDF as an MP, shot FN MK3, and IMI jericho)
>>
.357. Getting two calibers in one package not only alleviates your fears about over penetration, it means you can also save money when purchasing ammo. .357 and .38 special are classic rounds and there's no way production will stop on them for the foreseeable future, so you'll always have ammo to feed it with.
>>
.357 is perfectly fine for self defense. It's not going to leave exit wounds on Hamas.
>>
>>33717564
.357. I have the 50DS, and it's fun as hell to shoot. .357 is quite controllable, and .38 is almost boring. I could have sworn there was a 9mm version, but at that point, why not just get a semi-auto?
I would also just simply carry .357, with soft points or something. But maybe I just like the idea of using a big boy cartridge on a dindu/chug/snackbar.

On the ammo note, how expensive is ammo in Jerusalem? And how hard is it to get authorization to carry?
>>
Welcome shekelstein
Don't worry about over penetration - as long as you carry it with hollow points 357 works great. Also the likelihood of you missing and hurting someone is far greater than your shooting achmed and then hurting someone directly behind him because your bullet overpenetrated.

Wouldn't recommend a rhino for serious self defense though - slow to reload, limited capacity, heavy trigger, etc
>>
>>33717644
Everything is expensive in my country. So I'm not looking at price. I'm already preparing myself to pay double the MSRP. I can get a civilian carry permit since I work in Jerusalem so I have a reason.

>>33717658
I want it more for ownership , I'm aware it's not the most suitable carry gun. I'm going for the 40DS.

Overall I also impressed ant to minimize my chances of killing someone if I miss - so I fear a 357 might be an overkill for carrying.
>>
>>33717729
Want to minimize*
>>
File: 20160201_193658.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160201_193658.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>33717564
If you want to get a .357 I'd recommend dropping the extra cash and getting the one that has mated 9mm cylinders. It's a lot more fun that way. To be honest while I like my Rhino the SA is pretty shitty to get to because the hammer is just not nearly as easy to cock as it should be. Chiappa is also a shit company so I recommend avoiding it by virtue of that. Oh and don't listen to the people who say you can take it apart completely. You can, but make sure you have pliers
>>
>>33717564
OP, take a look at these:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

These tests cover almost every major kind of self-defense ammunition out there in all of the commonly used/available calibers. As you can probably see, .357 Magnum actually has FEWER problems with overpenetration compared to .45 ACP. This is because the .357 will pretty much always be going fast enough for the bullet to open up and stop in the target as designed; this is not always true for .45 ACP, which is a lot slower and may fail to work correctly if the HP cavity gets clogged by fabric or something.
>>
>>33717809
Ty for the info, another piece of info is welcomed, I have heared of some problems in some of the revolvers that were purchased by users but overall the views are positive on this model from what I saw.

>>33717896
Thanks a lot man, it took me a while to look at the charts, I checked the 40s&w as well and I see the 357 is Much more consistent. Would I be correct to assume that if I want a round to have the best chances of not being fatal in case it hits a bystander that I should pick a specific aamo type and stick with the magnum? (I.e semi jacketed 125gr Remington)
Thanks again for that info!
>>
>>33718499
Yes, if you want to minimize the possibility of injuring an innocent bystander:

1.) Pick a round that has consistent penetration of 14'' to 16''.
2.) Make sure you include that round in your practice sessions. A lot of people make the mistake of only practicing with target ammunition that has a different point of impact than their personal defense ammunition.
>>
>>33718888
Thank you. You've helped me a lot.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.