[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on hearing protection.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 7

Redpill me on hearing protection.
>>
You can't lose hearing if you just kys
>>
What is there to redpill? just keep your ears protected so you can keep using them
>>
>>33716136
I mean is it absolutely necessary or can I not use them occasionally?
>>
>>33716149
You damage your hearing with anything save for suppressed subsonic. You live with what is left of your hearing for the rest of your life. Make it last. Don't be retarded.
>>
>>33716107
They're just another Jewish trick to get your shekels. You don't need them, you just need to train your ears to handle the noise.
>>
>>33716123
Fpbp
Kys for using redpill op
>>
>>33716149

ALWAYS USE EAR PRO
>>
>>33716107
My buddy shot a 12 gauge 3 1/2 magnum with the muzzle right next to my ear and my ears didnt ring or anything.
>>
>>33716107
I've shot guns without protection, including 9mms, shotguns, 22s and a very loud cetme rifle. a compensated 308 with a 16 inch barrel is no joke... I haven't got any eeeeeeeeee yet.

anyway, wear protection.
>>
>>33716195
This. Start with .22lr. It might be painful at first, but soon you won't need protection for even .50bmg
>>
>>33716107

Plugs and muffs is the winning combo

Plugs make it easier to shoot long guns because it means ear muffs aren't interfering with your cheek weld, but you have to make sure the plugs are in your ear correctly, you gotta twist them up and open your ear and out them deep in the ear canal. I don't trust plugs because I'm worried they'll fall off so I use muffs.

Now, eye pro is a meme if you're shooting outside
>>
>I haven't yet experienced the deleterious effects which will inevitably occur down the line
>this must mean I'm fine
>>
Try to use both plugs and muffs. On larger caliber rounds i would recommend always doubling up.
>>
File: HL-Ear-Pro.jpg (102KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
HL-Ear-Pro.jpg
102KB, 800x800px
>>33716107
When I was a kid I would shoot everything from .22LR to .30-06 to 12ga with no earpro at all.

Thousands upon thousands of cartridges, every single one killing a little bit of this frequency, that frequency...

Now I have eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and if there's any background noise its difficult to understand people talking.

Use earpro, every time. No exceptions.
>>
>>33716223
WHAT!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, SPEAK UP! EAR PRO IS FOR FAGS BTW
>>
>>33716107
Shooting is just like sex; if you don't use protection, you end up with a little annoyance for the rest of your life.
>>
>>33716287
I got eeeee and im 3ft from the tv.
>>
Plugs + muffs is the best protection. It provides greater decibel reduction and gives you a failsafe in case your muffs get bumped or didn't seal properly. Plugs + electronics muffs is nice because the electronics are loud enough to hear things through the plugs. Just one or the other is acceptable for outdoor ranges. You should double up for indoor ranges.

>>33716149
you will get permanent hearing damage, even with something tiny like .22 LR.

By the way if you ever fuck up you can slightly limit the damage by taking vitamins E and C immediately after. This is not a 100% solution, it only slightly reduces the hearing damage, but it's significant enough to try. E and C are anti oxidants, so you could also try adding other anti oxidants like beta-carotene.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17851951
https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-study-vitamin-e-helps-hearing-loss-recovery/

remember to take your vitamin EEEEEEE
>>
>>33716253
It doesn't matter if you are outside if you are shooting steel at less than 20 yards.
>>
>>33716107
I don't think pills will work well as hearing protection, the things in the picture will probably work out better for you.
>>
>>33716253
>eye pro is a men if you're shooting outside

Why, because casings bounce off the walls of your lane at inside ranges? Mine keep occasionally hitting me in the head.
>>
http://youtu.be/ICteJQ6jVaA
>>
How do GIs and the military do earprotection in combat? I've been wondering this for a while. It would make sense to want to hear more while fighting, but after a bunch of blasts from a .50 you're probably not going to hear much anyways, so I'd assume you'd just go ahead and cover your ears somehow.
>>
>>33716253
>Now, eye pro is a meme if you're shooting outside
yeah, but in the case of catastrophic failure, they aren't.
>>
>>33716253

Hardly. Its there in case of catastrophic failure of the firearm or similar. If your shit blows up you dont want shards of metal and hot gasses blowing into your eye sockets.
>>
>>33716731
>How do GIs and the military do earprotection in combat?
muffs and plugs, but it's up to the individual to use them.
>>
hearing damage is forever. even cochlear implants can only do so much.

9 years in the us army. used ear pro as much as possible. deployed with aviation. I still can't hear people talking well enough to understand them, if there is background noise in a certain frequency.
>>
>>33716107
Tinnitus is nature's ear protection.
>>
>>33716225
Well, ain't that some shit.

I've had it since I was a kid for no reason. The fuck? Unfair.

Actually, my dad was probably still getting coked up and blowing out speakers when I was an infant, so it's probably that.
>>
>>33716287
are those any good just for urban area with lot of noise?
let's say construction, machinery and planes
>>
>>33716529
Can you explain? I planned on doing exactly that on my property. I don't want to get hit with ricochet, but I figured I'd be alright since I'd be shooting into a dirt hill as a backstop.
>>
>>33716527
Vitamin e helps with sudden hearing loss. Not tinnitus. If I shoot without ear pro on nothing is going to bring back that hearing lost
>>
>>33716107

Double up, plugs and muffs.
>>
I do fancy electronic muffs for pistol shooting (which is 95% of what I do) and plugs for shooting long guns.
I'll get around to getting a really good pair of reuseable plugs eventually, but it's not a high priority since I don't get to shoot my shotguns or rifles much nowadays.
>>
File: 41MrkGBxGmL._SY400_.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
41MrkGBxGmL._SY400_.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
Why shouldn't I buy this for $20?

I'm poor as shit and there's videos of a guy beating the shit out of one and it holding zero.
>>
>>33716886
Fuck, wrong thread.
>>
>>33716787
yes it'd work for that. They'll get sweaty if you're wearing them for long periods and working
>>
>>33716342
what did he mean by this
>>
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

If you don't want to hear that for the rest of your life, wear hearing protection.

Noise canceling ones are worth the money.
>>
>>33716886
Looks a little bit to fit in the ear. >>33716886
>>
>>33716253
You literally must stop your hobby if you lose your eye sight and you won't even put on sone shades?

Anyway, since apparently I'm being a mother hen, how many of you wear earpro at the range but not when you mow your lawn?
>>
File: 93181359.jpg (32KB, 628x504px) Image search: [Google]
93181359.jpg
32KB, 628x504px
>>33716253
>eye pro is a meme
On the 1/1000000 chance that something goes fucking tits up, I'll take the reassurance that I'm not going fucking blind.
>>33716731
We've got "combat" ear plugs which help a bit, and special squirrel types can use electronic ear pro.
What I want to know is what their earpro was like 50, 100, 200 years ago? Was everybody just fucking deaf?
>>
>>33717050
Man I know. I never used ear-pro working with power tools all day and my ears were ringing for about as long as my hands were tingling afterwards.

To be fair, I think being surrounded by gunshots is a lot louder than a grinder or lawnmover
>>
>>33717064
they probably just shoved mud in their ears
>>
>>33717073
The problem with the lawnmower is, depending on your lawn, that shit is for 60+ mins constant.
>>
>>33717064
They were aware of the deafness that occurred from battle, firearms, or war - Homer described in the Odyssey the use of wax and cotton stuffed in the ears to prevent extreme damage. This technology didn't progress until the turn of the 19th century, when the first conventional earplug was fashioned (this was 1907, so we've had good ear protection for about 110 years).

tl;dr: They used cotton and wax up until about a century ago.
>>
>>33717114
you know, I kinda figured it was something like that. I bet that works pretty good if you can get it to stay in there
>>
>>33717064

>What I want to know is what their earpro was like 50, 100, 200 years ago

in the civil war soldiers used cotton to dull the sound.

I don't know how fuckers survived back then especially with line/rank fire where there would be a muzzle a few inches from your ears.
>>
>>33716107
double up, plugs + electronic earpro.
>>
>>33716107
Pros

You can hear

Cons

WHAT?
>>
>>33716107
What!? Can't here you op.
>>
>>33716253
Eye pro has saved my sight. I had a catastrophic failure from Winchester white box in a 1911 (a low charge caused case detonation). The magazine base plate blew off, the grips got blown out, and I caught a bunch of brass with my face. When I took my glasses off that were shards of brass sticking in the glasses right in front if where my eyes were.
>>
>>33717159
>I don't know how fuckers survived back then
Pro tip, most didn't.
>>
>>33716296
WHY DO I NEED TO CARRY YOUR BAGS???
>>
>>33716253
>eye pro is a meme if you're shooting outside

The first shot out of my first handgun at a steel target ricocheted and hit my uncle in the ear. A few inches over and he'd be a pirate.

He said, at least I hit my first shot.
>>
>>33716287
I did something similar. My dad was one of those "I grew up without ear pro and I'm fine" types. Every Sunday we would go to the range and shoot 1000 .22 and he never once have me ear pro. So a decade and tens of thousands rounds later I'm half deaf just from .22 since I've worn double ear pro since buying and shooting my own guns in larger calibers.
>>
>>33716780
I have the eeeee from listening to music too loud
>>
>>33716253
No, it's not. Unless don't mind constantly bumping into shit on the side you're blind on for the rest of your life.

t. dude that lost an eye. I'm banking on robo vision becoming a thing soon.
>>
>>33717159
Reenactor fag here. Blanks are a bit less loud than full shots, but even live fire black powder guns aren't as loud as modern guns. They're still loud, don't get me wrong, but they're more like a .22LR than a 5.56 in volume (though they have a very deep tone, like you would expect from a large bore rifle)

If they guy behind you isn't a retard (no guarantees) he'll line up the barrel so that your ear is between the first and second band of his rifle, so that you aren't too close to either the cap or the muzzle blast. This still has a potential for slight EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE after each shot, especially with live fire, but as long as you plug your right ear you're pretty good to go until some dipshit in cavalry rides way too close and sandblasts your face with their revolver blanks.
>>
I use hearing protection even with pellet guns, because they can be deafening if dry fired, and every gun is simultaneously loaded and unloaded.
>>
>>33716107
WHAT? READING DEFLECTION?
>>
>>33717435
N-SSA shooter here, can confirm that black powder guns are far quieter than modern guns with live ammo. I don't feel the need to have ear protection in when I am not on the line, actually can easily hold conversations when only 20 feet or so behind it.

Cannons on the other hand, I can see people wanting some form of ear protection while working with.
>>
>>33717050
Man I put plugs in with everything now. Concerts, powertools, motorcycles. All that shit adds up real quick
>>
Damaged my hearing making loud electronic music. Be careful, doods.
>>
>>33716233
>Not telling OP that he has to apply the bullets directly to his ears.
Do you want him to get hurt?
>>
>>33718479
Yeah I am doing the same. After my moderate amount of shooting mixed in with concerts and music/games I got the EEEEEEEEEEEEEE bad enough. Gonna start double plugging on my next range trip.
>>
it's bullshit designed to sell you useless expensive hearing protection products

the more you shoot without ear protection the more your ears get used to to the sound. As long as you start off with smaller calibers and then work your way up to give your ears time to adjust.

t. quality redpill master
>>
>>33716787
I use them for work at a large international airport

They're pretty good but work way better for gunfire. They block loud engine noises but the microphone also plays back continuous noises like fans and engines running so hearing people talk isn't 100% clear. I turn them off when I don't need to interact with people but if I'm talking to people I'll flip them on.

I don't wear them in the summer because they get too sweaty though.
>>
File: unbenannt.jpg (98KB, 1077x735px) Image search: [Google]
unbenannt.jpg
98KB, 1077x735px
>>33716751
To be fair, the newest generation of CIs are incredible and have a lot of potential, it's even possible to get results like this
>>
>>33716253
The eye pro is not for bullet pieces being deflected, it's more for cartridge casings, especially if you are using a pistol.
>>
>>33716253
>he has never had spall, debris, or ricocheting pellets hit him in the face/glasses
You must not shoot very much.

Hell I had a mostly-intact .243 softpoint come straight back at me and hit me in the arm shooting paper at 300 yards once. Must've hit a rock or something in the berm. Penetrated about a quarter inch and left what looks like a chicken pox scar even through a heavy shirt.
>>
>>33717050
>allergic to fescue (yard gras) but no other forms of grass
Nigger I look like the fucking Michelin Man when I mow my lawn. Long-sleeve shirt tucked in and buttoned all the way, gauntlet-cuffed work gloves, pants bloused into my boots, wraparound ANSI rated sunglasses, 3M respirator, earmuffs, neck gaiter, and boonie hat.

If I don't I'm sicker than shit for like 3 days afterwards, and that's WITH allergy shots every week and Claritin twice a day.
>>
>>33716253
My 10/22 peppered my eyes the first time I shot it without eye protection. It was some shitty aguila ammo and even after putting on eye pro I felt stings on my forehead every once in a while. It was painful as fuck and now I always wear glasses.
>>
>>33716107
Very important. Even .22lr indoors can give you permanent hearing damage after a single shot.
>>
>>33716107

rubber bullets are not proper ear pro.
>>
>>33718837
Not really, unless you have a particularly loud .22. One or two transients around 110Db(spl) is fine. But caution is good.
>>
>>33716287
This. I forgot to put my muffs on one time not too long ago, and the guy next to me let off a .45 ACP. My ear rang for days, and shit was fucking painful too.
>>
>>33717064
My grandfather was in the army during the Korea era. He says they weren't issued anything, but that they stuffed cotton balls in their ears to try and preserve their hearing. He's got a lot of hearing damage.
>>
File: 6789.jpg (99KB, 983x758px) Image search: [Google]
6789.jpg
99KB, 983x758px
Guys I'd recommend taking ear health VERY seriously.

I am fat, 500+lbs (stopped weighing myself last year).
I got so fat that I stopped wearing ear protectors at the range a couple of years ago. Basically, I was too fat to reach my ears - it made my chest hurt. I'd try and mitigate the problem by microwaving soup in the ranges kitchen area and dipping my ears into it to block my ear drums.

It didn't work. My hearing has gotten much worse the last 2 years. I have a constant headache and ear ringing. sometimes I dont even hear my mother call me for dinner and get mad and physically assault her. It sucks
>>
>>33717114
>Homer described in the Odyssey the use of wax and cotton stuffed in the ears to prevent extreme damage.
Why, because of all the .50 cal rounds they were shooting off?
>>
>>33720060
Thousands of metal swords clanging off of shields and shit is loud.
>>
>>33719792
>physically assault her

Sexually?
>>
File: 1491314007774.png (118KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1491314007774.png
118KB, 657x527px
>>33720108
>you will never get so angry you make yourself a baby brother
>>
>>33717257
Kek
>>
>>33716107
The event that damages your ears may not take effect for 10 years. Use ear pro every time and you will thank yourself later.
>>
>>33719792
>I'd try and mitigate the problem by microwaving soup in the ranges kitchen area and dipping my ears into it to block my ear drums
Nigga you what?
>>
>>33716107
kill yourself
>>
>>33718772
I cannot fathom how fucking hot that must be. I'm trying to imagine mowing my lawn in that during the 105F summers and getting nauseous.
>>
>>33716787
They don't play nice with a hardhat for construction.
>>
>>33717257
I LEFT MY WIFE AT HOME... WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW?
>>
>>33717081
There are lots of photos of artillerymen from the Civil War on with cotton wadding shoved in their ears.
>>
>>33719792

kek
>>
>>33720189
Oh it's fucking horrible. Everything I'm wearing is soaked in sweat even when it's in the 70's in the spring, but at least I'm not 1 step away from needing an epi-pen afterwards.
>>
>>33717202
I had a much less dramatic event with a Remington Yellow jacket in .22 LR of all things. Shell ruptured at the base and I ended up with an eye load of Brass shavingings. Made out OK but I have worn Eye Pro ever since.
>>
>>33720241
Also, every fall I have to take my gloves out on the back porch and beat them with a mallet to break all the sweat-salt crust off of them.
>>
>>33717064
I imagine the people that were in the trenches during WWI improvised, and the ones that didn't were the most shell-shocked. The artillery was so omnipresent that hearing loss was unavoidable and many of them couldn't tell that shells stopped falling for a while.

I hear better with plugs in anyway, they filter out a lot of background noise and make speech clearer to me.
>>
>>33720085
>"Odysseus, why do you have wax in your ears bro? Nice job falling for the wax meme, fucking pussy."

>clanging of swords and shit.

I'm not a Greek scholar or anything, but wasn't Homer talking about Odysseus putting wax in his ears to protect himself from the Sirens' call? Don't think it had anything to do with protecting from hearing damage.
>>
>>33716107
CORRECTION? YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO SPEAK LOUDER
>>
>>33716107
they make great foam bullets to shoot your friends with.
>>
>>33716107

Wear it, retard
>>
>>33716107
GIRAFFE IS LOOSE?
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.