[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ books & literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 14

Hey /k/

Ctrl F revealed nothing, so I decided to start a thread. Post good books / novellas / short stories / poems about warfare, guns, SHTF fan fiction, philosophy of man's violent habits, whatever.

Audiobooks with youtube links greatly appreciated because I have a long commute.

Will dump some WWI lit I've reacently finished that I liked. In the mean time, here's a poem that's always gotten me.

------

Dulce et Decorum Est Related Poem Content Details
BY WILFRED OWEN

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
>>
File: BeastsMenandGods.jpg (26KB, 274x421px) Image search: [Google]
BeastsMenandGods.jpg
26KB, 274x421px
>>33712064
Beasts, Men and Gods by Ferdinand Ossendowski

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_LYAfUDgww
>>
The Way of Men is an okay insight into some masculine culture and what's missing today, but idk what the general opinion is on it
>>
File: WWI_Tank_Mask.jpg (256KB, 1148x1600px) Image search: [Google]
WWI_Tank_Mask.jpg
256KB, 1148x1600px
>>33712064
Life in a Tank by Richard C. Haigh

A WWI tank operator. Pretty kick-ass account of what it was like. Short- Novella/short story realm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCCj8Pe39s
>>
>>33712064
4 weeks in the Trenches - Fritz Kreisler

The narrator of this book- FNH is really good. Sounds like the tenor cousin of the Geiko Gecko.

Book is good but brief. Early WWI campaign, told by an Austrian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCErXdPsbyY
>>
>>33712093
>The Way of Men
If you liked it, and you're a cool dude that's enough for me to give it a try. Worst comes to worst I don't like it and put it down.

What's it about?
>>
>>33712064
Just finished this today. Stellar read.
>aliens attack human colonists
>earth gets pissed, sends high iq shock troopers
>time dilation means everyone lived hundreds of years
>huge advancements in tech over the years
>written by a Vietnam vet, classic sci fi

Dunno if it'll trigger /k/, but I found it enjoyable.
>>
>>33712400
That's a good fucking book
>>
>>33712400
>and it takes decades for reinforcements to arrive/travel act home**
>>
>>33712413
Back***

Meanwhile, fuck my sausage fingers
>>
>>33712172
Basically it talks about how in today's world men have lost a lot of what we had in the past, and then it talks about fixes or something along those lines.

I'm still reading it, been a while since I read it last, mind is kinda fuzzy on it. IIRC most of it is explained in the first few pages, so you get a decent idea there. Free PDFs online.
>>
>>33712400
I remember reading this for school. Great read.
>>
>>33712400
I liked it.
>>
Xin Loi, Vietnam

Generation Kill (the book)

Hero Living written by Rudy Reyes ("Fruity Rudy" from the TV series, Generation Kill)

SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam

Blackhawk Down
>>
>>33712892

Loaded with all kinds of spook stories carrying out super spook missions.
>>
>>
File: 51ljkoIerAL._SL1500_.jpg (41KB, 300x500px) Image search: [Google]
51ljkoIerAL._SL1500_.jpg
41KB, 300x500px
>>33712892

This is my all time favorite war book, though. You learn a lot about flight crews and just the crazy shit that happened. This book REALLY hooks you in and entertains you the whole way through.

The author got back in touch with many people he flew with. I was good friends with one of the pilots in the book and the said pilot gave me a copy. I miss the guy.
>>
>>33712908
sawed off RPD's are fucking awesome.
>>
What's the damn book the stalker games are based off of? I've read it, just forget right now.
>>
A Rifleman Went to War
H.W. McBride

gunner and sniper in a canadian machinegun regiment during WWI, holy fuck the amount of kills he reported are astounding

IIRC its required reading in USMC sniper school
>>
File: Semper_Mars.jpg (42KB, 385x648px) Image search: [Google]
Semper_Mars.jpg
42KB, 385x648px
This is some damn good sci-fi, pretty /k/.
>>
>>33712963

Fuck yes, they are.

And don't go kicking that dog out. He goes where I go.
>>
>>33712172
Dude this is something I definitely want to read.
>>33712400
Oh helll yeah- I read this shit recently. Really good. Got the recommendation off /k/ desu, too close for comfort at points.
>>33712942
My favoritie is The Thin Red Line, followed by The Things They Carried. This sounds like something I might really get into desu.
>>
>>33712967
There's Roadside Picnic, but I dunno if that's the one
Empties and Full-Empties fucked up my young mind when I heard it, still need to finish it.
>>
File: tmp_25237-one second1168562941.png (597KB, 505x768px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25237-one second1168562941.png
597KB, 505x768px
>>
>>33712093
It'd be a lot better if it wasn't fucking full of grammar, spelling, and syntax errors. The further in you go the denser the errors become and it's borderline insufferable by the end.
>>
>>33713735
I agree with this, it's a shame there was no real editing. Maybe I should do that one day, if I have time to burn.
>>
>>33712400
Fuck you, sir.
>>
Difficult read (emotionally), if you don't hate humans after this book, you have more faith in humanity than me.

>>33713706
I enjoyed the hell out of this book, definitely one of the better "post-apocalyptic" stories out there.
>>
Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot is a good read and teaches you about some operators from the past
>>
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque (trans. Wheen)
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
Armor - John Steakley
The Odyssey - fucking read a book nigger goddamn
>>
>>33712967
Roadside Picnic, though it's only a loose inspirations. Tarkovsky's Stalker is the closest source material
>>
Jim Corbett books are nice. I'd consider them more /out/ than /k/ but still enjoyable little books.
>>
>>33713759
Just finished this on iBooks. It didn't make me hate humanity but it did make me think that maybe, just maybe Churchill's OP Unthinkable and Patton's plan to rearm some Panzer Divisions maybe should have been looked at a little closer. Also after reading this book and Blood Red Snow right after; it is pure fantasy to think the Germans had ANY chance to win the war in our time line.
(Not to say that the Nazis and Wermacht didn't do horrible shit too but they mostly got their comeuppance; the little the Sovs got came from old Joe himself after the war and still doesn't seem enough.)
>>
>>33712400
The big problem that I have with this book is that it is too repetitive after the first engagement. It rinsed and repeats. If it got more into the politics about what was happening on earth and the socioeconomic implications by the forever war that would have been more interesting. It just felt like too much of the same thing after the training on the space rock.
>>
Every single time a thread like this appears no one mentions the most hardcore novel about WW1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Fire_(Barbusse_novel)
>>
Any good shit on audible? Just got the Amazon prime student deal succ.
>>
Low Level Hell.

Vietnam little bird pilot and his crew chief who is hanging out of the heli on a monkey strap thumping away with his m79 and their shenanigans. Amazing book.
>>
>>33713759
epub

http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/oVV5wddX/file.html
>>
File: 1712448.jpg (154KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1712448.jpg
154KB, 1200x1600px
A great book about the Battle of Isandlwana.
>>
File: 23267354692556565.jpg (78KB, 806x1306px) Image search: [Google]
23267354692556565.jpg
78KB, 806x1306px
Marines used this to make their sniper school post WWII
>>
File: ed-macy-apache.jpg (42KB, 341x498px) Image search: [Google]
ed-macy-apache.jpg
42KB, 341x498px
>>33712064
Just finished Apache. I was actually surprised.
I figured the era of amazing aviation stories ended in vietnam. Where pilots pushed their aircraft up to, and over the limit to get the job done. Today it isn't common because of strict flight restrictions and the price of the aircraft.

>>33714635
This and chickenhawk are my favorite helo books.
>>
File: aap7-square-1536.jpg (294KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
aap7-square-1536.jpg
294KB, 648x648px
Spends a little too much talking about Leahy and not enough about Halsey, but it's pretty good nonetheless.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.