[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any advantages to a heel magazine release?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1002px-Beretta_34_(6825664724).jpg (93KB, 1002x768px) Image search: [Google]
1002px-Beretta_34_(6825664724).jpg
93KB, 1002x768px
Are there any advantages to a heel magazine release?
>>
cheaper/simpler to make since it can just use the main spring thats already there like the 1903. i guess you could make an argument that you're less likely to accidentally engage it, especially in a pocket gun.
>>
Also for guns not issued with spare magazines, retention is important. Heel releases don't generally drop "clean"
>>
>>33712059
Not really. But there are really no disadvantages either. Executing a reload with either style is fast enough to not matter, even though the thumb-release style will always be faster.
>>
>>33712059
If you carry your gun in a soft leather holster, and you get jostled/pressed against things, then it's possible for a button mag release to accidentally drop the magazine. A heel magazine release is immune to this particular issue.
>>
>>33713400
This.

As someone with a Tokerev, I completely get why Russia went to a heel release for the makarov if they were gonna use leather flap holsters (the best kind)
>>33712059
Also, there's the fact that they're kinda intuitive for stupid people like noguns and europoor conscript armies that are handing guns to people who've never been in the same room as one before.
>>
>>33713742
on the note of leather flap holsters, who else here wishes they made leather flap style holsters for modern day guns?

It's like a range trip you can wear on your belt. A cleaning kit, the gun, an extra mag, hell, all that's really needed is an extra pouch for a target and maybe a set of clips or pins.
>>
File: Walther_P38k.jpg (159KB, 960x946px) Image search: [Google]
Walther_P38k.jpg
159KB, 960x946px
>>33712059
Better retention, sturdier, and simpler to name a few.

>>33713020
I can't deny buttons and paddles are faster, but you're right in saying there's nothing slow about heel release reloads: https://imgflip.com/gif/1m1fxz
>>
well, i don't think there are disadvantages to this particular style.

i had a 1935 beretta, and it felt strange at first, but it was my carry gun and i eventually got used to it.

under stress, i would prefer to have a button mag release, but it's no deal braker for me.
>>
File: braindeadWojak.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
braindeadWojak.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
>>33714010
>i had a 1935 beretta
>it was my carry gun
>>
>>33712059
You can remove magazine without removing gun from holster.
>>
>>33714353
It's compact and powerful enough.
>>
>>33714353

it's much like a .32 acp ppk from the same era, just way cheaper.

it's a very capable small gun, and if you train enough with it, it's probably just as good as a ppk.

i liked it a lot, would carry again.
>>
>>33714353
Nothing wrong with that.
>>
File: 1481134758193.jpg (9KB, 256x259px) Image search: [Google]
1481134758193.jpg
9KB, 256x259px
>>33713020
That's quite literally incorrect.
>>
>>33714836
Who the fuck carries without one in the chamber?
>>
>>33712059
no chance of you accidentally hitting the magazine release while firing the weapon
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.