[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would wrist-mounted flashlights like used in later Star Trek

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 15

Would wrist-mounted flashlights like used in later Star Trek episodes be useful in a tactical environment? Why aren't they a thing?
>>
why not a headlamp?
>>
Because they'd looks pretty stupid unless fasionable, and to hold your arm out for that length of time, you're better off getting a head mounted flashlight.
>>
Because the idea is retarded and so are you
>>
Pretty sure Surefire makes a watch with a built-in flashlight. Willing to bet it's stupid-expensive too.
>>
>>33711667
Headlamps move when you move your head. You want to keep your light trained on whatever you're pointing your weapon at. Wrist lights achieve this without adding weight directly to your weapon.
>>
Someone post the Osprey picture of that guy with the maglite on his arm
>>
>>33711689

but why not put a light on your gun then?
>>
>>33711659
Why not just have a light on a gun.
And not those pussy ass phasers the Federation uses, I mean a primo slug-thrower.
>>
>>33711737
>>33711739
Balance? I guess you can get a tiny lightweight light that won't effect much, but some guns like AK's are already crazy forward-heavy.
>>
>>33711659

Because you have more freedom of movement with a torch in your hand, and Headlamps provide a much less taxing resting spot for a light.

No advantage whatsoever, 0/10 delete this thread
>>
>>33711739
Also, why would you want something illuminated and not in your sights? Especially in a tactical situation.
>>
>>33711659
Same drawback as a weapon mounted light. You have to point at what you look at.
>>
>>33711807
>You have to point at what you look at.
That's generally how a flashlight works.
>>
>>33711689
Why on earth would you want to illuminate something you werent looking at?
>>
>>33711849
Point your gun. Or in this case, whatever is in your hand.

Fuck, you have to spell it out for kids these days.
>>
>>33711942
You have to twist your whole body if you want to look at something that's a bit too much to your right or left, pretty sure that's what he means.
>>
>>33711942
Keeping your light in someone's face instead of showing them that you're looking off to the side slightly.
>>
>>33711965
This is dumb, we dont live in a video game world where flashlight beams are a foot in diameter
>>33712045
This I can kinda see being useful, but it still doesn't justify having anything more than a handheld light or one mounted on rails
>>
>>33711774
To trick people as to where you're looking, it's called strategy
>>
>>33711689
>if I turn my head I cant see what Im looking at
>if I turn my head im not looking at my target anyway

think about it dumbass
>>
>>33712758
>flashlights are lasers that only shed light at a single point and produce no ambient light and light doesn't reflect off of surfaces
>>
File: IMG_20170420_230817.jpg (351KB, 1200x821px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170420_230817.jpg
351KB, 1200x821px
>>33711659
You mean like this, OP?
>>
File: Steven-Seagal-New-Watch.jpg (87KB, 445x822px) Image search: [Google]
Steven-Seagal-New-Watch.jpg
87KB, 445x822px
>>33711659
I'll just leave this here.
>>
no, mounting something on the wrist ruins the entire point of the wrist, which is to offer nearly 360 degrees of movement
>>
File: 1466880509608[1].jpg (82KB, 712x530px) Image search: [Google]
1466880509608[1].jpg
82KB, 712x530px
they should have had light amplification/thermal imaging contact lenses, headsets, or weapon sights.

Roddenberry and his wife are both long dead. It is time for a star trek that actually tries with their weapons and tactical gear.
>>
>>33713498
which is completely irrelevant to the point of Star Trek. Go jack off over BSG
>>
>>33713498
Ezri is cutest Dax
>>
>>33713540
Star Fleet is military organization.

also it is the freaking future!

genetic enhancement might be against the law. yet I don't see why they don't have cybernetics. Geordi had his visor and later eye implants. why wouldn't everyone be enhanced to at least a Batou or Togusa level?
>>
>have to scratch nose
>suddenly blind

think about it nigga
>>
>>33713498
I'd watch an operator Trek.
>>
>>33711667
/thread
>>
File: both.png (88KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
both.png
88KB, 260x260px
>>33711659
>>33711807
>>33712045
flashlight on gun and flashlight on wrist for maximum illumination
>>
File: 1492403666092.jpg (367KB, 911x1221px) Image search: [Google]
1492403666092.jpg
367KB, 911x1221px
>>33711659
Maybe
>>
>>33711659
Because you and everyone else that likes tacticool shit is the best are too fat and weak to hold their arm out for any length of time. True story.

Stick your arm out like in your picture. Not up in the air, straight out and perpendicular to your body.

I give you 30 seconds before you start quivering
>>
>>33711659
You can point a regular flashlight forward while your arm hangs down at your side. With a wrist mounted flashlight, you need to hold your arm outstretched to point the light.

It's a stupid idea that only looks cool to nerds who watch too much television and don't live in the real world.
>>
>>33711685
$649, but it's a Luminox watch, so isn't terrible for a Luminox. The non-watch version is $169 or $229.
>>
File: dax.jpg (79KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
dax.jpg
79KB, 694x530px
>>33713611
>yfw someone thinks Ezri is better than Jadzia
>>
Because nobody in the military actually uses flashlights outside of their tents, and then only RED ONES, anyway.

If it's dark, you either stay dark or equip NVGs. If you turn on a flashlight you are instantly spotted by every mong and their dog, and then ventilated.

>mfw laying in the dirt, in my shallow grave, at night, in a German forest, G36 rested on a sandbag
>GERMAN FOREST
>THEY DON'T CALL IT THE BLACK FOREST FOR NO REASON
>camo'd my grave
>camo'd my helmet to blend in with the foliage I used to camo the grave
>practically invisible from the front
>only one issue
>close eyes
>open eyes
>repeat this five times
>cannot spot any visual difference because it's SO FUCKING PITCH BLACK
>I didn't get the NVGs because there wasn't enough to go around
>I know that SOMEWHERE in front of me there's OPFOR fags creeping around WITH NVGs
>pine cone hits me in the helmet from the left
>dudes in the shallow grave 10m next to me are whispering over orders from the squad leader

Operating in the dark is fucking retarded, but it REALLY does mean that you operate IN THE FUCKING DARK
>>
File: Kes76.jpg (28KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
Kes76.jpg
28KB, 576x432px
>>33715131
>tfw no Ezri x Kes fanfic
>>
>>33711659
They are a thing, just not for dry land. They are used a fair bit for diving, you can look up wrist mounted dive lights and find a lot of them.
>>33713389
This is one but its also a watch so it only kinda counts.
>>
>>33715169
least you didn't get the broom stick
>>
>>33715195
And Kes is such a submissive little bitch, you know Ezri would ride her face hard.
>>
As others mentioned, weapon lights are better for use with weapons. For utility I want something that I can point down at something I'm reading. I think back-of-the-hand would be better than the wrist, you could more easily point that Maybe one that points down like holding a flashlight backwards instead of pointing inline with your arm. There's still the issue of activation, where do you put the button? It has to not interfere with the weapon and not activate unintentionally.

>>33714644
>>33714667
dude, what? There is no reason to stick your arm out. Bend your arm and point from the waist.
>>
File: scubalab-light-test-handmount.jpg (118KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
scubalab-light-test-handmount.jpg
118KB, 1000x667px
>>33715214
neat
>>
>>33715226
>imblying it's not Curzon riding Kes' face
>>
>>33715230
>>dude, what? There is no reason to stick your arm out. Bend your arm and point from the waist.
Unnecessary with a real flashlight. Sorry, your low-budget sci-fi is retarded.
>>
File: nr3c02.jpg (63KB, 800x526px) Image search: [Google]
nr3c02.jpg
63KB, 800x526px
>>33713611
>>33715131
Jadzia had the sex appeal but I could just snuggle Ezri for days

>>33711659
Back on topic, why not strap the phasers on their wrist and hold a regular flashlight if they needed it?

At least their (later) rifles had lights.
>>
>>33713389
I always thought there were kinda cool.
The light is angled so that it points past your hand, but also specifically so that if you're holding a handgun in a standard two-handed grip, it points straight towards your target
>>
>>33716790
I'm not OP. I just don't know why you think a wrist flashlight would be difficult. You can hold your arm the same way you'd hold a regular flashlight.
>>
>>33717218
A regular flashlight is far more versitile because it can be held in many different ways. A wrist flashlight can only be held in one way; on the wrist.

For instance, holding a flashlight like this down at your side is trivially easy, not fatiguing at all. You can't do that with a wrist flashlight because at least part of your arm must always be held up unless you're looking at your feet.

As seen here: >>33715250 This product already exists for scuba divers, who don't have to worry about arm fatigue from holding their arms out in front of them. If it were a viable product on land, then it would already be done.
>>
>>33715169
I wanted to make some jokes about germany, but then I remember that germany is joke by itself.
>>
>>33714590
>Johnson, why do you have a fucking maglite strapped to the back of your hand?
>It's dark, sir!
>>
>>33711689

So have two lights. Put one on your weapon and one on your head.
>>
>>33713614
>yet I don't see why they don't have cybernetics
They reserve it for repairing injuries like Picard's heart and Nog's leg. Willful cybering-up as a healthy humanoid is reserved for the Borg because the Trek writers are all luddites.
>>
>>33717327
>A regular flashlight is far more versitile because it can be held in many different ways. A wrist flashlight can only be held in one way; on the wrist.
The wrist flashlights and derpy slings for tricorders and phasers literally existed because the Trek showrunners didn't want to add pockets to the uniforms.
>>
>>33717678
But they couldn't have tool belts either? I'm pretty sure half that shit was designed just to look different. The designers obviously didn't care one bit about the ergonomics.

Like the phasers, why not make them pistol shaped? It's a superior shape. They're different for the sake of being different.

This is one of the reasons sci-fi is shit.
>>
What about wrist mounted rockets?
>>
>>33718769
You have to watch those things
>>
>>33718769
as a real weapon for humans ... shitty. You can't line up your arm with your eyes in order to use sights. For a robot, fine because they internally know the position of their limbs and don't need to look at sights

>>33719249
kek'd, haven't played Battfield 2 in a while
>>
>>33716796
muh trigger discipline
>>
>>33711756
Except AKs are not forward heavy.
>>
>>33719274
>You can't line up your arm with your eyes in order to use sights
I can quite easily. I can even line up my right arm with my left eye. Just need to hyperextend my elbow.
>>
File: jadzia2.jpg (89KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
jadzia2.jpg
89KB, 694x530px
>>33716796
>tfw you'll never be able to fuck Jadzia in front of Ezri and then have a three-way post-coital cuddle session
>>
>>33721485
No you can't. Not with your wrist and arm in a straight line. You can do it by angling your wrist out of alignment with the rest of your arm but if it's aligned (so as to effectively brace the wrist rocket) then by definition, it's lined up with your shoulder, not your eyes.

Additionally, lining up a wrist rocket inline with your body or your eyes would probably cause backblast problems.
>>
>>33711659
The only reason Star Trek does it, is it allows them to reasonably keep their hands free even if you are using said hand to scan the area.

You can easily add a tricorder or a phaser to that hand without disrupting your ability to use the light.

It's a very niche problem that only really exists in the Star Trek universe. We don't have the same day to day mission goals as the ST dudes do.
>>
>>33723105
Nah, I definitely can. I have my elbow pointed out, but I hyperextend well past straight.

pic is how it looks from the top.
>>
>>33723531
>>33723105
Just link videofeed from your wrist to your scouter desu

>tfw no CC gyrojet watch connected to my google glasses
>>
>>33718769
These were really fucking stupid. Build a man sized robot with a huge torso but give him a tiny blaster on his right wrist. Why the hell is he so big?
>>
>>33711659
I'm not sure about tactical environment, but surely it would be awesome during urination
>>
>>33721485
I can if I really bring my shoulder up. Not very comfortable though
>>
>>33711689
Except the portion of my wrist with the light and the barrel of my firearm aren't going to line up perfectly. A wrist mounted flashlight 'fixes' a problem that already has multiple better solutions.
>>
>>33724669
>Why the hell is he so big?

They are insanely armored and can take multiple, consecutive blaster hits.

In the Republic Commando games they are essentially walking tanks that required using heavy ass ordnance on. Imagine an average soldier you needed to hit with a 40mm or a 50.cal to take down reliably. Those are the Super's
>>
>>33711807
you want both a headlamp and a weapon mounted one.

i learned this on a nigh game of airsoft where the dead came back as zombies. it was incredible fun and pretty much everyone died.
>>
>>33726556
oh and you want a thumb switch on the grip for the rail light definitely.
>>
they bumped the thread
>the madmen
>>
Here's a variant designed for fudds mounted on your gloves. There are also variants designed for mechanics, to get more light under a car hood or where ever they are working.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KnrwN0nwYNM/maxresdefault.jpg
>>
>>33711659
They look cool but they are a pain in the ass to use. Your elbow has to be pointed at what you want to look at... all the time. Reduce the use of your hands with out using your hand.
>>
>not wrist mounted guns
>>
>>33723531
>I have my elbow pointed out, but I hyperextend well past straight.
Then you're not bracing the shot which is both inaccurate and super bad for your elbow.

You want to hyperextend your elbow, then fire rockets from your wrist? Goodbye elbow.

In that pic, your wrist is cocked and your elbow is over extended, two problems.

Think of how you throw a straight punch, that's the alignment you need to brace a rocket that you're firing. It's nowhere near your eye line.
>>
>>33726344
Also, if firing a longarm then you'll be getting pretty spectacular glare + shadowing from the gun itself. There's a lot more gun getting in the way of light coming from your wrist than from your barrel/head.
>>
File: papermoon_136.jpg (78KB, 709x530px) Image search: [Google]
papermoon_136.jpg
78KB, 709x530px
>>33715131
I liked Jadzia when watching DS9 back in the day, but
Ezri is better than Jadzia.
>>
>>33726394
But why give them such dinky firepower? Especially when you have shit like drodekas rolling around with personal shields and quad blasters?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.