[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun Knowledge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: EOD guy.png (57KB, 880x558px) Image search: [Google]
EOD guy.png
57KB, 880x558px
Alright /k/ ive got a paper due for an english class im taking at one of the most liberal schools in my state (Kent State). We got to pick our topics and i picked gun knowledge and safety. I've got about 4.5 pages done and need 2 more about general gun knowledge.
I've already covered the history, basic calibers and different grains, types of guns (rifle shotgun etc) and basic death/suicide stats. If you've got any ideas on what else I should include id appreciate it.
>>
>>33711357
Here's a bunch of info mostly pertaining to gun laws, dunno if it'll help:
http://therevenantrising.tumblr.com/tagged/gun-control-master-post
>>
File: Sweet_Guy_Danny_Trejo.png (1MB, 916x976px) Image search: [Google]
Sweet_Guy_Danny_Trejo.png
1MB, 916x976px
>>33711357
Your paper sounds pretty good, but a little too cerebral. Introduce a section on proper gun handling, local gun laws (for CC or OC), and maybe a section on 9mm vs STOPPING POWAH.
>>
>>33711357

Cover the basic gun safety rules. Point out that actors on TV and in movies nearly always have their fingers on the trigger.

A gun is useful tool. Unless you're an elderly Jew Senator who finds a modern rifle "scary".
>>
>>33711357

do your own gdamn homework you lazy ass piece of shit
>>
>>33711357

Subsequent massacres after public disarmament efforts by governments around the world is worth touching on.
>>
>>33711357
WTF does gun knowledge have to do with English class? Are you learning English as a second language? If not, what exactly are you learning through this exercise? I'm guessing anything they teach you can be looked up online.

Here's a protip: drop out of college. Learn a trade. Work for a few years, marry a woman who loves you and supports you emotionally, and start your own business once you have accumulated enough money.
>>
>>33711357
talk about how children should be educated about guns at an early age to avoid accidents, things like they should be told how to not touch them without adult supervision and let an adult know if they find one to make it safe
>>
>>33713575

>Drop out of college

Ask me how I know you're poor.
>>
>>33711357
Make sure you threaten to murder all of them.
>>
>>33713465
>Sweet Guy
A true patrician
>>
>>33713575
It's probably a English course for people who don't intend to pursue a lit degree and just need the credit for the degree they are working on. As long as yo can write semi-coherently and don't make too many spelling errors, you'll pass the course.

I TA'ed a physics course for non-STEM majors; you would not believe how lacking in basic writing skills some college students are.
>>
>>33714314
*you

fuck
>>
>>33711357
i'd watch out

it doesn't matter how delicately you approach the subject, you're gonna be the 'school shooter'.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8tm4LXBmZ4
Just watch this movie.
>>
>>33713575
last 2 years of HS i went to a trade i'm in college to further the trade.
>Not writing essays in English over stuff I know
>Getting a gf
>>
>>33713032
Thank you
>>
>>33714489
It's Kent state... The National Guard already did that better than most anyone could.
>>
>>33715948
Just shoot up Kent State to assert dominance.

What are the topics you cover? Do you discuss how useless modern gun control is? Like all the BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS REEEEE? Just curious, always wanted to write a paper on gun control, but didn't get the chance, my school was focused on STEM
>>
>>33716032
So far i've done the history of guns, different types of them (shotguns rifles etc.) caliber and ammunition types (hollowpoint FMJ etc), any type of gun relate deaths across the world (Homicide/suicide) and im going to go into basic safety and maybe some misconceptions like Australia is the safest place ever because no guns and Assault Rifle 15. Shit like that
>>
Ah, so is it informative about guns, or is there an argument about gun control?
>>
>>33716266
If OP could give us a little more information on the paper requirements/goals, we could really bring our encyclopedia knowledge of useless thing to bear.
>>
>>33716299
Yeah, op can you share the outline? Especially when it comes to gun control, I think /k/ could help
>>
>>33716210
Without actually reading a draft or knowing you objective, there isn't much I can recommend that wouldn't be frivolous fluffy filler. What you have is good enough, unless you want to hit an emotional nerve. In which case, all you have to do is bring up the Kent State massacre.

Also Kent State is still Akron's party bitch.
>>
>>33716359
for the Akron part i can't confirm or deny because im a freshman and dont give a fuck about any of our teams.
>>33716299
The only requirements for the paper are 5 sources and 6-7 pages. I've got 2 sources and 4.5 pages done. It's an argumentative essay where I just have to argue my point. Which is gun safety and knowledge should be taught in schools similar to D.A.R.E but more effective if possible especially since DARE was a joke

I'll work on getting my paper to a google doc where everyone with the link can see it
>>
>>33716513
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jDJoD-p23bBGc9CE8Zwd12JjzmaAIfwZOvlG2hibPSg/edit?usp=sharing

This is the link for the paper (i took out my name for obvious reasons).
>Inb4 sources are fucked up I know that. Will fix later
>>
>>33716513
Thanks for the clarification.
If your argument is for in-school gun safety courses (I assume the reasoning is that it's basic knowledge everyone should be required to know) then I'm not too sure how some of the stuff you mentioned in >>33716032 (gun/ammo types specifically) actually backs up your point. If you're trying to fill space, I get that, but it doesn't seem super relevant. That said, I don't know how you incorporated it, so it might make more sense than I'm imagining.
Good support for gun safety exists in the form of studies on gun accidents in children. If you can find the one that graphs homicides/accidental deaths by age, that's a great one (I believe that 3 year olds kill exponentially more that all the others in that study).
>>
>>33716571
The parts where i'm talking about the calibers and such are part of the knowledge portion of my paper. Safety is important but knowledge can help as well. We have to present our papers to the class (about 20 kids total I think) and we're encouraged to bring in something to show everyone. I've got about 10 empty shell casings im bringing in from 9mm, 44/45 and 5.56. Teacher already said he's enjoyed my rough draft of it and it flows well for the class too
>>
>>33716513
Look up the freakenomics essay on accidental gun deaths and swimming pool deaths. We give swimming lessons, we should have gun lessons. Look at ownership rates of guns compared to ownership rates of other things. Kids are likely to come into contact with a gun at some point, even if their parents pretend they don't exist. Uniform instruction could save lives right? It's for the children! Now hand out the 10/22s.
>>
>>33716619
So compare accidental deaths? I didn't think of that. And with the fucking idiot who killed himself on instagram live this week that'd be a good starting point
>>
>>33716619
The pool argument is a classic, and is extra good because it is logic-based, but also includes fee-fees.

>>33716617
This page includes that graph I was talking about, but I was wrong, you're most likely to be murdered by a 12 year old. 3 year olds actually just kill themselves. Still useful though, and having some anti-gun sources adds credibility by showing you looked at both sides (assuming you have some pro-gun sources for balance).
https://everytownresearch.org/reports/innocents_lost/
>>
File: More Knowledge.jpg (66KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
More Knowledge.jpg
66KB, 500x328px
>>33716546
Like >>33716571 said, it is pretty good overall. I'd like to add that grain is a unit of measurement defined as 1/7000 of a pound, or 64.79891 milligrams. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units

Nowadays only the bullet is measured in grains because there are a plethora of different types of gun powders with different chemical properties. But back in the day black powder use to be measured by grains too, just look at the .45-70 Government cartridge, which use to be a .45 caliber bullet loaded with 70 grains of black powder.

Another angle of argument is that marksmanship is an integral part of our culture and up until the last few decades, many schools had marksmanship teams. Last I heard (circa 2006) University of Akron had a competative marksmanship team.
>>
Seriously to everyone who is helping out thank you. Getting more ideas for this paper and critiquing some things is going to help me just ace this fucking thing
>>
>>33716687
No problem, it's not like I get to write a paper on funs very often.
If you want to get into examples of non-military firearms training/education, the Civilian Marksmanship Program here in the States is a good example. Switzerland trains its citizens as part of obligatory military service, but the principle is similar, and they have little/no shooting incidents as far as I know. Even more militaristic is the ROTC programs common at colleges, but I don't know the specifics. You could conceivably get a primary source by interviewing some ROTC program head near you.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.