[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard would it be to recreate doom in real life.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13

File: ItsGoingtobelikefuckingdoom.png (785KB, 800x605px) Image search: [Google]
ItsGoingtobelikefuckingdoom.png
785KB, 800x605px
How hard would it be to recreate doom in real life.
>>
>>33710684
Its raining like a motherfucker in colorado right now so id assume there would be a slip hazard.
>>
>>33710684
It's gonna be hard unless you can open a portal to hell on mars.
>>
>>33710684
Giant overengineered bespoke weapons all over the place, genetically engineered demons, not to mention the cost of building the levels you'd play on.
I dunno, OP. What do you think? That sound hard to you?

I must say though, pic related never fails to tickle my pickle.
>.50 cal assault rifle with a cute little box of mini-missiles
>>
>>33710693
Kek
>>
>>33710684
it wouldnt work the way it did in the game... abit of an /x/ discussion but...

the demons (barons/HKs), but also including the imps, would probably be casting other kinds of spells and exerting mind-affecting powers to make people scared and freak out.

And I mean you could say thats why all the base security became zombies, except for flynn taggart for some reason.

But if they could cast spells to throw fireballs, there's alot of other things they could cast too. Scenery altering stuff, levitation, putrefying someone to death, and so on.

I mean just think of the spells in Call Of Cthulhu (hp lovecraft inspired roleplaying game), not even necessarily the tentacle stuff, there's some bad stuff in it.

And how about this - your weapon breaks spontaneously. That was a common spell trick in lord of the rings - bladebreaking, thats just another kinda weapon. How about you just not fight back because i'll break your weapon from a distance (the firing pin disappears, weapons parts break).

Supposedly demons and any other malevolent spirits on the "other side" are genius level intelligence, which is why it takes genius to try to corral them with magical words for a summoner/satanist and not get screwed by it (or in the case of a succubus, get screwed, but not get sucked dry).

Even the daemons in 40K were more intelligent than the critters in the doom game.

So the reality is if Doom shit happened it wouldnt happen the same way. Sorry.

In terms of Weapons though...
> Plasma Gun could easily be replaced by a specialized exploding tip machinegun, maybe .50 Beowulf with a large projectile that carries an explosive warhead in it.

> Rocket Launcher could be built most likely, but id have approached it as a Belt Fed grenade launcher with a very short priming distance. Themobaric explosives rather than fragmentary. Maybe DP - shaped charge and thermobaric. As a grenade launcher it makes more sense, no backblast, and can be fired semi automatic.
>>
File: Doom4AdvancedResearchLobby.jpg (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Doom4AdvancedResearchLobby.jpg
229KB, 1920x1080px
I don't even give a fuck. I REALLY enjoyed the latest Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

>>33710856
>make people scared and freak out.
Rage, anon. Harness your anger and make it your own sword.
>>
>>33710919
Yeah, the new doom, despite what salty purists kept saying about 'muh brutal doom ripoff/catering', was fucking awesome. My only problem with it was that there was arguably not enough stuff to rip and tear, there were some really empty places that I felt like should've had more enemies in them.
>>
>>33710919
Is that a screenshot from ps4 or something? it just looks like someone toned down the graphics a lot
>>
>>33710684
Doom is the most /k/ game ever.
>>
>>33710856

Shotgun Spread can be achieved by using a spreader choke, particularly the kind on the spas-12 shotgun.

The spread arc is a little narrower than it is in the video games - but its at least double the patterning you get with an unchoked shotgun.

I can see the potential use of a double barreled shotgun, but only if its 20 Gauge or less. I cooked this idea up with a roleplaying game idea based on Quake 1.

Using less lethal ammo, with a SBS double barrel that can fire both barrels at once - any technicials or test subjects (being subjected to this clandestine facility) can be sufficiently persuaded into doing what they're told or contained if they outburst. But without necessarily maiming or killing them.

In real life Buckshot is as deadly as it is in games, but having any kind of nice body armor stops it in its tracks. Especially at a distance because then the force is spread out. However you do still get the chance to hit someone in an unprotected area - so it can still damage someone.

At least in Doom3/4 they included a medium machinegun caliber - and you would definitely find that in black ops facility stocks.

>>33710684
To even reproduce some of the same dynamics we would need Resident Evil scale first aid medicines and equipment.

In real life you get shot, you're dead without immediate medical assistance, the bleeding has to stop, the internal damage has to be attended to.

Maybe its possible to create some medicine or substance that instantly patches that stuff. And then you would need some kind of pain-meds that arent addicting and dont have an overdose potential.

But if you can achieve that now you have the thing that makes Doom and other first person shooters possible:

> The Medikit

Now you can possibly get shot multiple times and keep on going, because you inject this fallout stimpack shit or squeeze a tube of junk down into the wound and you dont feel it anymore and that wound is sealed.
>>
>>33710684
Can you:
>Run at full-speed without stopping for unspecified amounts of time?
>Carry hundreds of pounds of gear while doing it?
>Take rockets to the face and just shrug them off?
>Punch giant demons to death in the event that you run out of ammo?
>>
File: Doom4_Codex_Chainsaw.png (672KB, 1356x448px) Image search: [Google]
Doom4_Codex_Chainsaw.png
672KB, 1356x448px
>>33710935
>People assmad that the great-great-grandson of the first FPS and notoriously violent video game is even more violent and encourages legitimate brutality

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. My first chainsaw kill on a Baron of Hell was very fucking fulfilling.
>>
>>33710919

The problem is I think someone channeling their own rage in demonic fashion would actually make them more vulnerable to demonic mind control. You fight you lose. You act like the demons, welcome your new master - da Baron of hell makes you a foot soldier just like those other chaingunners.

>>33710996

> run at full speed
Combat Drugs, look into what the cleaner assassins use, keeps you amped up without giving you a heart attack. Also if you're in peak physical condition and prone to having good endurance, this could be possible.

> hundreds of pounds of gear
40 pounds for the armor, 10-30 pounds for the weapon, who knows how much for that Dimensional Backpack he carries (im going to guess 30 pounds because its armored, and its more of a device).

yknow the one which has a pocket dimension in it which is literally bigger on the inside than the outside, and transfers none of the weight of the contents to the holder

> take rockets to the face
small anti-personnel rockets that honestly explode like a 20mm or 25mm grenade

and the revenant rockets are likely smaller than that, those are more like shotgun grenades, the point of them is they can track

though I have made the point earlier about how shotgun blasts can overcome armor just because they can hit in exposed areas

> punch giant demons to death

Well at least ID software got to the point that they just admitted that Doomguy is partially demonic because the UAC found him in hell.

In the original games he did have Spiked Knuckles, though.
>>
>>33711101
>Well at least ID software got to the point that they just admitted that Doomguy is partially demonic because the UAC found him in hell.

Someone didn't pay attention to the in-game lore.

I took it as a nod to the past, honestly.
>>
>/k/ - video games
>>
>>33711123
I have no capacity to play the new game, and on my comp even doom3 runs at like 2 frames per second. Im not gonna be playing doom4 for a long time, if at all (since I dont like it).

Its what someone else mentioned though.

>>33710919
>>33710935

Honestly since as a kid I played the originals I was displeased with the big difference in the way doom3 was designed compared to 1 and 2.

There weren't enough enemies, and even quake2 had weapons that used ammunition that other weapons used. And I would have welcomed dropping weapons to grab better ones (not 5 weapon slots would have been great).

Plasma Gun should have caused more damage too - even in quake1 and quake2... and quake3 surprisingly, the plasma gun slot (lightning gun, hyperblaster) did crazy damage compared to the machineguns.

And Doom 4 only carried this disparity even further from Doom 3, now there's even more weapons and he can carry all of them.

The BFG got more dangerous but thats the only selling point to me.

And I find the constant item and bonus drops from the enemies to be Annoying, from what ive seen in playthrough vids. Demons are like pinatas to bust to get + health items with.

Fuck that shit. I would've liked less items. Force the player to hunt for Soulspheres and Megaspheres here and there, rather than medikits. Get your health replinished 100 at a time just like in Halo CE.
>>
File: fleckvz.jpg (315KB, 800x801px) Image search: [Google]
fleckvz.jpg
315KB, 800x801px
>>33711202
>>
File: D4_BFG.png (887KB, 1600x922px) Image search: [Google]
D4_BFG.png
887KB, 1600x922px
>>33711253
>Force the player to hunt for Soulspheres and Megaspheres here and there, rather than medikits. Get your health replinished 100 at a time just like in Halo CE.

Health and armor were a fucking myth. You might get 45 health off murdering a Hell Knight, but a Baron will whip around the corner and cunt-punt you anyway. The real powerups were the ones you mentioned.

Maybe this only happened for me. Not sure. My playthrough of the whole game was shoot and scoot or you fucking die. The entire game is nothing but move and shoot or jump and smash. Halo atleast let you pause and ambush. Doom didn't allow such shit for me. I'll give it credit for making me feel like I was actually in a real-time fight. And by that I mean, I had to think and act quickly and take advantage of minor faults to really knock the shit out of many of the enemies. There were several times where I was able to make a Mancubus shoot at other enemies, and that was usually my opening to start crumpin' heads.

Once you get the upgrade train rolling, it becomes a fuckload easier to use the more devastating guns, but ID responded to this with dumping more enemies at a time. Fortunately they also are pretty generous with the BFG reloads if you can find them.
>>
File: 1482044041058.png (40KB, 648x645px) Image search: [Google]
1482044041058.png
40KB, 648x645px
>>33711253
>even even even
>surprisingly
The fuck is your problem with the Quake games?
>>
>>33710684
Not too hard, though I can't remember the last time I saw any tec-9's at the lgs.
>>
>>33710840
>not going full doom 1 with just a 9mm pistol and a pump action shotgun
You don't even need the rocket launcher or BFG9000. A Beretta and a reputable pump action shotgun is all you need.

Now you just gotta get some demons...
>>
File: 1481452669910.jpg (386KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1481452669910.jpg
386KB, 720x1280px
>>33710935
Don't you dare confuse us purists with the brutaltards.

Now excuse me while I go play Chocolate Doom.
>>
>>33710935
The only problem I have with nu-Doom is the somewhat ridculous graphical settings. Other than that, I think it's pretty much perfect.
>>
File: file.png (52KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
52KB, 1280x800px
>>33711070
>DOOM
>First FPS
>>
File: mark of the doomslayer.jpg (45KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mark of the doomslayer.jpg
45KB, 750x1000px
>>33710856
>implying the doomslayer didn't have some rune/magic buff to protect against imp magic
>implying doomguy isn't just pissed off enough to not give a fuck about imp magic
>>
>>33712524
>pump
>doomguy cosplay
>not using based sawed-off double barrel
absolutely haram
>>
>>33712956
>guy is so pissed off he ignores the existence of demon magic

Makes sense for me.
>>
>>33710856
>He doesn't have a priest bless his weapon then cross himself and pray for God to grant him a fruitful demon slaying.
>>
>>33712529
gzdoom masterrace
>>
File: 1492742355334.png (309KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492742355334.png
309KB, 750x1000px
>>33710856
>And how about this - your weapon breaks spontaneously. That was a common spell trick in lord of the rings - bladebreaking, thats just another kinda weapon. How about you just not fight back because i'll break your weapon from a distance (the firing pin disappears, weapons parts break).
Punch the demon in the fucking face. Rip his arms off and use them as a weapon. Make a shillelagh out of his thigh and crack some skulls.
>>
>>33712882
nobody calls them wolfenstine clones.
>>
>>33712956
Doom guy is chronologically accompanied by a Seraphim and given power from God himself for the sole purpose of kicking Lucifer in the balls. Plus Doom Guy is so angry he can not die.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbg87dcfdi0
>>
Making people act like monsters at gunpoint would be easy enough.
>>
>>33710856
>except for flynn taggart for some reason.
You only read the first two books. It's all explained in 3 and 4.
>>
>>33713357
Doesn't mean Wolfenstein wasn't first, it just means Doom had more impact, fucknuts.
>>
>>33712882
>Wolfenstein
>First FPS
>>
>>33713852

First Person Wizard ffs
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.