[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here in the British Army? Would you recommend someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: _20170420_224544.jpg (131KB, 1080x748px) Image search: [Google]
_20170420_224544.jpg
131KB, 1080x748px
Anyone here in the British Army? Would you recommend someone joining? If so what unit/regiment and why?
>>
>>33709823
I was a Infantry US Marine.

There's only one answer. Royal Marine or suck a dick.
>>
>>33709855
>Royal Marine

Why?
>>
>>33709867
Because they are bad ass mother fuckers.
>>
Many, many, many years ago.

I would recommend joining. My grandson is in at the moment and he loves it, he joined in time for Iraq and Afghanistan but has made a career out of it (which is more than his father or I managed). Some things he hates, namely the food and some of the extra curricular stuff, but overall he likes it. My son joined in the 80s and hated it, did his four years and left.

>If so what unit/regiment and why?

Depends on a whole host of things. I joined my father's Regiment, the Grenadier Guards, which was also the Regiment of two uncles. I enjoyed it a great deal, despite moving elsewhere in the Army at a later date. When I first joined, I expressed an interest in the Royal Engineers, but I hadn't the qualifications.

If you're the smart type, go with the Intelligence Corps. I know that seems obvious, but they really do a lot of interesting stuff and given that there's not a major combat commitment on at the moment you'd probably get more out of it than you would an Infantry unit.

Whatever you do, don't be the sort who plans out a whole career before he's even attested on the Bible and the portrait of HM the Queen. My enlistment took a funny turn and I did things I'd never dreamt of. Apply, work your arse off and have at it.

Oh and ditch the girlfriend.
>>
>>33709889

Will there be many opportunities for boipucci?
>>
>>33709867

I mean, if you like wearing dresses and/or getting naked lots, then yeah, go for it.
>>
I was thinking Royal Marines just because they seem the most operator is that true?
>>
>>33710082
>if you like wearing dresses and/or getting naked lots
I do but I do have a small penis.
>>
>>33710088
Lympstone is a more challenging training program than ITC Catterick, but not by much. Their fitness going in will be higher and they'll do more wet stuff, but in reality they've not done anything on operations that the Army Infantry haven't.

The difference lies mainly in the opportunities and what you want out of it. There is every chance that after finishing Commando training, you have to go and be a chef or a signaller or a driver. With the Infantry you go in a Rifle Coy, no questions asked. Conversely, RM have a more "grown up" attitude to lifestyle and you're given a degree more independence than the Infantry in your spare time.

There is also every chance that after RM training you end up in the middle of nowhere in Scotland for two years, followed by a year on a ship then Norway. Army are a lot more keen to get guys out to Belize, Kenya etc.
>>
>>33710088
They are the most operator thing you can directly join, yes
SRR, pathfinders and the SAS are more operator
>>
>>33710132
SRR aren't a combat outfit. They have men on the books who provide that capability, but in practice they're intelligence types. That is not a criticism of them, far from it, but it's an acquired taste to put it one way.

They collect and collaborate intelligence for direct action operations. If they've fired their weapons then something has gone wrong.
>>
>>33710163
But they are operator
They sneak about, and they probably do butt-stuff in those little hides of theirs
>>
>>33710163
>Not wanting to spend two weeks hiding in a bush and shitting into cling film while videotaping poor people, knowing that if anyone sneezes at the wrong moment you'll be captured, handcuffed to a radiator and raped to death
>>
>>33710129
>Lympstone is a more challenging training program than ITC Catterick, but not by much. Their fitness going in will be higher and they'll do more wet stuff, but in reality they've not done anything on operations that the Army Infantry haven't.

What are the main differences between Royal Marine training and normal infantry training at Catterick?

And what do you mean by a more grown up lifestyle? Is it just that Royal Marines aren't babied as much by their COs?
>>
>>33710088
>because they seem the most operator

You sound like an ideal RAF Regt candidate.
>>
>>33710397
>RAF Regt candidate.

I used to think it was just army banter when I heard people talk shit about the RAF Regiment until I found out they literally do not leave the airbase they are on.
>>
File: para-afghanistan-hr.jpg (655KB, 3600x2177px) Image search: [Google]
para-afghanistan-hr.jpg
655KB, 3600x2177px
>>33709823

In this day and age the only thing worth joining in the Army is the Parachute Regiment (or the Royal Marines if you fancy the Navy instead).

Royal Engineers or Royal Signals are good for a trade if you just want to do a few years.
>>
>>33710526
>In this day and age the only thing worth joining in the Army is the Parachute Regiment (or the Royal Marines if you fancy the Navy instead).

Wouldn't it just be the same experience as any infantry regiment?

Royal Engineers or Royal Signals are good for a trade if you just want to do a few years.

Would 4 years earn me an actual trade where I can do the same job in the civilian world?
>>
>>33709889
>My grandson

How the fuck old are you to be on /k/ if you were born in at least the late 50's
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.