[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time buyer's remorse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1878.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1878.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>shell out 250 total for a maverick 88 online
>needs to be delivered to a local pawn shop
>said shop has a 180$ (store owner said 160$ in cash) Yimmens Chinese Winchester defender knockoff
>used but great condition, short barrel and heavy wood, excellent patina wood furniture
>when 88 is delivered I find that the magazine port has no dirt cover
>plastic furniture has mediocre feel and mold

Son of a bitch.
Any other first time buyers feeling like boo boo the fool?

>not buying online again: the thread
>>
>>33706850
I dont get how people can be this fucking dumb. If you are gonna buy a shotgun for $250 and then cry that its a cheap piece of shit you deserve it. Do your research if you want to buy a gun you won't be disappointed with.
>>
>maverick 88 for $250 when Mossberg 500's go for just $300 all damn day

stupid fuck
>>
>>33706858
>spent hours on this board talking about my first time buy ideas
>everyone told me to just get an 88

A-alright
>>
>>33706859

This.
>>
>>33706866
This.
>>
>>33706859
88 was actually 205, 6 in shipping and 35 in taxes.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
At least she's not an ugly gun
>>
This.
>>
>>33706866
Everyone told you to get a maverick 88 because its the cheapest POS shotgun you can buy and you should have done your own research because you could have gotten a mossberg 500 like >>33706859 said.
>>
>>33706850
I paid a 3 percent charge for using credit.

Pissed me off but i told myself thats what i get for convenience of proximity getting it in my town instead of a half hour away.
>>
>>33706850
>magazine port
Ignoring that, the 88 is never marketed to have a dust cover, nor are pretty much any other pump action shotgun. That's not even a valid complaint, maybe you should have looked up what you are buying. Also, oh wow the literal bargain barrel shotgun has cheapo furniture.
>>
>>33706973
Oh, thanks. I at least hope the gun is dependable.
>>
File: 1491549318512.png (43KB, 318x470px) Image search: [Google]
1491549318512.png
43KB, 318x470px
>>33706983
It'll go bang, most of the time.
>>
>>33706859
You probably said you were a poorfag with a strict $200 budget.
>>
>>33707073
I did, I just should've gone to the pawn shop before making online purchases.
>>
>>33707162
Pawnshops are your firends. I got an old Ithaca stakeout for $100. You never know what you'll find.
>>
>>33707162
You bought a gun with more aftermarket options than your cheaper alternative, chill.

Just get a decent surefire on it and maybe a saddle and call it a day.
>>
>>33707162
Step 1: go to pawn shops.
Step 2: if you found something you're done otherwise continue to step 3.
Step 3: save $100 more and get an actual Mossberg or continue saving for a BPS
>>
>>33706894
is the screw that holds the barrel in place threaded for a sling swivel mount? ive seen some of them are, some not, and im buying one soon so im curious
>>
>>33706888
>$35 in taxes on a $205 gun
What the fuck
>>
>>33706850
I've come to find out that guns are one of the most "you get what you pay for" things there are

If you cheap out, you'll get failures within 500 rounds, mag wobble, slide wobble, sticky controls, machining marks, etc. Something will always go wrong, be it big or small.

People who claim they found a gem are people who don't take their guns to the range more than once or twice a year.
>>
>>33706850
The 88 is a CHEAP shotgun, that's why the furniture feels crap, but its reliable and well supported with aftermarket parts
>>
>>33707735
>I have no idea how to look for good deals or shop around
>>
>>33707785
Good deals aren't cheaping out

Buying a cheap gun is cheaping out
>>
>>33707788
>you get what you pay for
>People who claim they found a gem are people who don't take their guns to the range more than once or twice a year.

Getting a good deal is finding a gem, anon.
>>
>>33706850
>I find that the magazine port has no dirt cover

what shotguns have fucking "dirt covers"
>>
>>33706894
If you're OP, you did fine
That barrel and mag tube combination costs $150 alone
>>
>>33707812
I think he means the lifter, like an 870.

It's better to not have that anyway, OP.
>>
>>33707828
I hate the fuckers
Always bite my finger when loading
>>
What are you complaining about? You bought a decent gun for a decent price. Okay, so you found out that you could get some cheapass Chinese POS a few bucks cheaper - so what? That doesn't change that you got a reliable, well-made gun that has tons of aftermarket support. Don't like the furniture? Buy something different for it. There's no end of stuff that will fit. Stop being tightfisted - if you want something nice, spend money on it, or stop complaining. Just how much of a poorfag are you? "Value" doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest thing you can possibly get - it means what's good for a decent price.

Oh, and it's not like the situation with your Chinese counterfeit would have been any better.

Also, "dirt cover" - WTF are you talking about? You *do* know that port is where you put the ammo in, right? So you're saying you want a piece of plastic sitting over that port to make sure that it takes longer and is more of a pain in the ass to reload? Where is that a plus? Hunting? Home defense? Here's an idea - take care of your gun. Clean it regularly, and don't drag it through mud puddles like you were some Angolan peasant with a rusted-up AK and a shitty Marxist cause to fight for. Do that, and you won't have a problem.
>>
>getting aftermarket bits for a mav 88
Its a cheap pump gun dont fuck with it. Its not like its a hipoint or taurus that literally does not work right. Its a fine gun, itll go bang when you pull the trigger. Maybe get a sling, put a light on, or some alt barrels if you want to hunt or shoot clays. Otherwise keep it loaded and in a corner in case of chimpouts.
>>
>>33707974
>Its a cheap pump gun dont fuck with it

>doesn't like what's on it

HAHA YOU DIDN"T SPEND $1400 ON THIS GUN
DONT BOTHER GETTING OTHER STUFF FOR IT BRO HAHA
>>
Walmart sells 870 expresses for $300. Its a basic bitch remshit gun but id rsther have the 870
>>
>>33707985
If you're going to spend a bunch on aftermarket parts why waste it all on a gun that will fall apart 500 rounds in?
>>
>>33706850
>getting a mav 88 instead of the mossy 500
Why do people unironically do this? Spend a hundred bucks more and get a much better gun.

Can't afford an extra 100 bucks? Then sell your guns, because you can't afford this hobby.
>>
>>33707185
>Step 3: save $100 more and get an actual Mossberg or continue saving for a BPS
Aren't mav's literally made by Mossberg?
>>
>>33707735
>I've come to find out that NEW guns are one of the most "you get what you pay for" things there are

Surplus stuff is generally a better value than something twice as expensive. Note I said value and not strictly quality.
>>
>bought a poorfag special
>surprises when it has poorfag qc
I mean I'm in the same boat over a 10/22, but goddamn what did you expect?
>>
>>33707985
If you try to replace the furniture, which is really the only thing that's very bad, it would be about 100 bucks for a decent set, plus the forend needs to be altered to fit the mav88. At that point you could've bought an old 870 or a mossberg 500 with good furniture.
>>
>>33707805
Finding a gem usually means finding a gem in the rough

People who claim they got lucky with cheap guns that are generally agreed to be horrible
>>
>>33708030
>If you're going to spend a bunch on aftermarket parts why waste it all on a gun that will fall apart 500 rounds in?
Because it won't. The Mav is well-made and mechanically reliable.
>>
>>33708040
>maverick 88
>fall apart
no
>>
>>33708196
>Then sell your guns, because you can't afford this hobby.

>if you can't afford a Porsche 911 turbo then just sell your car you're too poor for this hobby.
>>
all these people shitting all over the mav 88
the /k/ approved poorfag can only afford one gun this is the gun you absolutely get above all others

you did fine OP. the price point was inflated by dealers and credit fees. that happens.
my mav 88 is my most trusted gun I own. I'll take it over my colt 1911 gold cup.

then again shot my buddies brand new 870 marine and that thing was fucking syrup. blows the mav 88 out of the water.
but I've shot mossy 500's plenty before and no real diff between them and the 88 if your just using it for HD.

now if it was for hunting all purpose shotgun, then yes you shoulda saved up and got a mossy 500 with interchangeable barrels because surprisingly the mossy 500 with a 28" on it is a great bird gun
>>
>>33708040
>fall apart
the Mav 88s are just 500s with cheap furniture and a crossbolt safety instead of the tang
>>
>>33708201
yes
no reason to get the 500 if you just need a cheap gun for break ins
>>
The mav 88 is fine. You paid a bit extra for it but I assure you there are bigger mistakes you can make.

Furniture is a bit cheap but it will work fine. If not it can be replaced" although the forend needs to be replaced along with the action bars if you want to upgrade it to a 500 set.

Open action is normal. It has a skeletonized elevator that folds flush with the bolt to facilitate faster loading. A bigger lip elevator like the 870 doesn't function as a dust cover and will not keep dust out anyway. If your objective is to do Ian-style mud tests I think a Mossberg will do poorly but so will any other pump shotgun. Don't swim in any mud holes and you'll be fine.

Also I know what Chinese Winchester clone you're talking about. They suck and routinely break the welds on the action bars. You're better off with the shotgun you currently have.
>>
>>33708040
oh, you're retarded
my mistake
>>
>>33708282
go to a gun show
they can be had for less than $50

and I agree getting a mav88 is stupid when you can get an older 500 or one of the millions of hardware store rebrands (new 500 furniture is shit)

and if this>>33706894
is his gun, he did fine
>>
>>33707926

>reliable

They're a pos that been known to jam a lot. Fuck those shit shotguns.
>>
>>33710008
>They're a pos that been known to jam a lot
Do you have a source for this, other than your ass?
>>
>>33706850
Also, complaining about the aesthetics of a $200 gun is pretty cringeworthy. It's designed to be reliable and functional, which it is. If you want aesthetics, the Benelli Ethos is beautiful, and will cost you ten times as much. Want to buy one? Get a job and save up. Otherwise, don't complain.
>>
Nothing wrong with a Maverick, you could have got one from a Sporting Goods store for $200, but you have a reliable shotgun that works.

You saw something you wanted at a Pawn Shop for cheap? Buy it. Nothing wrong with having two shottys. Sooner or later, someone will buy one or both off you for more than you paid for them, just might take awhile.

I've made money off every gun I ever owned, but sometimes you have to be patient. In the meantime, if you see a deal, jump on it.
>>
>>33706850
>I don't research what I spend $250 on
>why is it the way it is
>FUCK NEVER BUYING ONLINE AGAIN
>EVERYONE TOLD ME TO BUY IT
m8 how the fuck do you even breathe
You can go to Youtube right now and pull up a video of someone fondling the maverick 88 taking it apart and finger it until it glows from being covered in oil for half an hour in detail from all three hundred sixty fucking angles in 720p, yet here you are asking why it doesn't have a "dirt cover" that was never a thing. I bet you also complain about the wobbling parts too, fucking online merchants rubbing their hands together amrite? If only you get to see it in person, you would have made a better decision, right? But you probably can, go to any sporting goods place with a shotgun section and you can ponder the inexistance of the "dirt cover" before you drop a quarter thousand burgerpaper on it, hell, you could have just went to your pawn shop and buy the chinese shotgun if that tinkles you willy so much.
It's 2015+2 already.
>>
File: 1405844188145.jpg (31KB, 622x626px) Image search: [Google]
1405844188145.jpg
31KB, 622x626px
>>33706850
>when 88 is delivered I find that the magazine port has no dirt cover
>>
>>33706850
Sorry OP. If it's a Maverick 88 with a bead dot sight, 5 + 1 magazine, and a 18.5 inch barrel, you got fucked. They go for 200. Some stores do price them at 250 but they regular go for 200.
>>
File: You_Doodle_2017-04-16T14_56_07Z.jpg (535KB, 748x626px) Image search: [Google]
You_Doodle_2017-04-16T14_56_07Z.jpg
535KB, 748x626px
>>33707185
Can confirm BPS for master race
>>
>>33706866
>doing your research
>listening to the memes
These are not the same thing.

Cheap shit gets talked up because poorfags need to justify their choices.
>>
>>33706850
>the magazine port has no dirt cover

My fucking 500 doesn't have one either you idiot
>>
Are we calling loading gates dirt covers now?
>>
>>33706850
>nice, solid, milled Remington 870 Wingmasters with wood stocks are being sold off from police stations at 200 bucks a pop when the price gets jacked up
>opt for chink shit for 50 dollars extra online
>get mad when it's shit
OP what do you want me to say
>>
>>33706850
>underage fag
>want a shotgun
>asian so look even more underage
>find out about antique shotguns
>get a belgian no name with a swedish barrel shipped to me
>spent over 170 bucks on it
>shoot low power target and buck because it would blow up on me otherwise
>still might blow up
The lesson here is shoot your mistakes until they don't feel like mistakes anymore.
>>
>>33711252
Forgot this was 10 years ago. Still have it and it's pretty fun to shoot trap with.

Still way overspent and it feels bad to this day.
>>
As >>33707832 mentioned OP, shell lifters are a pain in the dick, trust me when I say the moment you shoot a gun with one you're going to discover you wished you didn't have to jam your finger through them to load each shell.

And additionally as another Anon mentioned they do next to nothing to protect your gun from dust and dirt, even if they were intended for that remember that most pumps that aren't Ithaca's and such have large ejection ports that, guess what, dust/dirt will get into anyway in any event it will get in through the magazine port. For the most part any dust, mud, dirt, shit, or human organs you might get in your gun through regular use will not slow down your pump action shotgun.

At any rate, I think you did quite well with the Maverick, granted yeah they're obviously a step down from the 500 but that's for a reason, price. I still find mine very enjoyable and reliable, it simply doesn't fail me, which is great. I will grant the other Anons there are better choices at varying prices but it's not a horrific failure, just sub par in some aspects. There's also really nothing to say that the Chinese gun sitting in the shop isn't sitting there because it's a misfeeding/defective piece of shit, pawn shops, of any place, tend to attract guns of this kind more than contemporary gun shops in general. Great external condition doesn't mean much all the time, you may have potentially dodged a bullet. Not necessarily, but it's possible.
>>
It's ok OP. If you're really thinking you goofed sell it on Armslist, eat the loss, and buy a Mossberg 500. Or you can beat the hell out of your Maverick as is and use it as a HD gun when you get something better.
>>
>>33710143
I have an inkling that most people complaining about shit like this somehow neglect or fuck with their guns in ways that they shouldn't be fucked with and then blame the gun when it invariably fails. Maverick 88 is a good shotgun. This board is always richfag vs. poorfag trying to justify their purchases to each other no matter what.
>>
>>33710008
>They're a pos that been known to jam a lot. Fuck those shit shotguns.

The shell lifter is better than on a Winchester or Remington not sure how you could jam one up.
>>
>>33708201
they're made by mexican mossberg.
>>
>>33706888
>online, presumably across-state-lines (what with the FFL transfer) purchase
>sales tax at all
What the shit.
>over $200 for a mav88 online
You do realize those sell for $190 at most of the big-box retailers like Cabela's/Gander/Academy/Dick's, right?
>>
File: 20170419_170635.jpg (867KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170419_170635.jpg
867KB, 2048x1152px
>>33708296
Pic related was sight-unseen at a small estate sale (sale, not auction). Was listed as "early 80's shotgun" only. I paid $175 for it.

It's a Pigeon-grade Win101 with a special order stock, in 28ga, and included all original paperwork including receipt and appears unfired. It sold new in 1984 for $3700.

Fuck your "gem in the rough".
>>
>>33709139
That crossbolt safety likes to break though. Which locks the gun up 99% of the time.
>>
>>33706850
I bought a maverick for $170 at the local sporting goods store
It's my beater shotgun I've put an easy 500 shells through it skeet shooting and never once had any issues. It definitely DOES feel flimsy tho, but performance wise you'll have no complaints. Never even cleaned my POS, and I'd still trust it as much as my 500 if my life depended on it.
>>
>>33707974
You're a literal mong if you're trying to tell me that a Hi-Point or a Taurus will not go bang when you pull the trigger. Sure, the QC is shit, Taurus are a bunch of cunts, and Hi-Points are ugly as sin, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't shoot.
>>
OP you're a ginormous faggot.

>be me 5 years ago
>decide I want a shotgun for home defense
>Go down to local Wal-Mart
>maverick 88 field/security for $220
>exactly what I want
>Wal-Mart employee helps me fill out paperwork while other employee goes to get the gun
>get gun
>open box
>security barrel is missing
>wtf?
>employees get manager
>talk with manager
>tell him I still want it and I'll take it for a decent price
>offers 50% off
>counter offer $100 and I tell everyone I paid full price for a field model
>take home my lovely new shot gat
>over the next 3 years I proceed to beat the ungodly shit out of this shotgun
>dropped it
>kicked it a couple times
>once fell out of a moving vehicle
>fired it underwater once for shits and giggles
>crazy shotgun loads
>skeet, trap, 23 rabbits, one deer, a wounded dog and an ungodly amount of random targets
>around 3000 shells not including the crazy loads
>never cleaned it just sprayed a bunch of CLP when pumping got gritty
>sold it 2 years ago for $250

Have fun with your cheap shitty shotgun and don't bitch about it you piece of shit.
>>
The Maverick 88 is just a short bus riding version of the Mossberg 500. I have a junkpile special M88 that has been beat to hell and back and it still works. Bought it as a barrel-less receiver and stock from the LGS for 20 bucks and pieced it together with parts from a 590 and 535 and now I have a Mossmaster 595 that eats whatever bulk ammo I shove up its ass.
>>
File: US-Survival-Large.jpg (266KB, 2460x683px) Image search: [Google]
US-Survival-Large.jpg
266KB, 2460x683px
Thinking if buying the henry AR7 survival rifle, from what ive seen online it has good reviews and seems pretty nice for a 250-350$ weapon. Any thoughts?
>>
>>33714488
hold one in person first it feels like shit. the ar7 is very good at its gimmick.if you just want a plinker many other guns are better.
>>
>>33714488
Probably get a takedown 10/22 unless you really need the gun to float. They tend to be finicky and feel god awful to hold
>>
>>33714542
Eh i have a marlin .22 but i like the storability and the easy use. Im just wondering if there are any more comfortable or better variants. A nice small game rifle would be nice in a bug out situation so i dont have to lug around my long/medium range rifle, sidearm, and a small game rifle and theres no way im wasting 7.62mm on a fuckin rabbit. Also a .22 would be an easy supressable weapon and ive seen nice supressor attachments before though ive heard the tip is just a poly and i should get an actual adapter.
>>
>>33714640
Yeah but reading the reviews those seem like a pain in the ass to break down and clean. And again it suffers from the extra bulk of normal .22 but without the added leingth. I just want something to fit in a bag or strapped to the side. I like that AR style receiver.
>>
>>33707035
https://youtu.be/RiiFPTZajS0
>>
>>33708843
Nigger the Mossberg 500 is like the Corolla of cars.
>>
>>33708843
He's right you faggot. If you can't afford a $300 dollar gun you won't be able to feed a $200 gun.
>>
>>33708196
>hobby
SHALL
>>
>>33706850
>$250
>maverick 88
Nigga, they are like $189.99 at fuckinf walmart. No muss, no fuss, brand new
>>
>>33708201
Yes, which is why if you don't care about 100% made in murrica, the crossbolt safety, or are planning on replacing the furniture anyways, mav88s are perfectly fine substitutes.
>>
>>33714837
Yeah but they usually only ever sell the field version, and 75% of the fucking Walmarts I walk into don't even sell guns
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.