[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: How would you outfit your battleboat? What's the legality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: OCEANIS60_Benetau.jpg (551KB, 940x581px) Image search: [Google]
OCEANIS60_Benetau.jpg
551KB, 940x581px
ITT: How would you outfit your battleboat?
What's the legality of putting an old-school black powder cannon on a modern sailboat? I know that black powder cannons arent considered firearms on land and are hardly regulated, but does maritime law differ? And would the legality of it change when crossing from USA to international waters?
I can't find information on this anywhere.
>>
File: Whaling_harpoon.jpg (95KB, 640x573px) Image search: [Google]
Whaling_harpoon.jpg
95KB, 640x573px
>>33706517
It depends on where you sail. Once in the international waters you can do pretty much what you want, but beware in which harbour you plan to accost.
>>
>>33706517
You are subject to the laws of your country of origin while in international waters. So if you're allowed a cannon on your boat in port, you're allowed it out at sea. Not that anyone will come harass you, or check the legality of your vessel out on the high seas, so long as you don't bother any pirates or warships.
>>
>>33706649
Okay, that's good. Do you know the laws regarding maritime cannons in the US?
>>
>>33706656
Cannons are legal, as far as I know.

>Muzzleloading cannons not capable of firing fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 and replicas thereof are antiques and not subject to the provisions of either the Gun Control Act (GCA) or the National Firearms Act (NFA).
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-muzzleloading-cannons-classified-destructive-devices
>>
>>33706517
>black powder cannon

What's the recoil like on one of these things, and how much does one weigh?

Might be hard to mount/fit/store it on a sailboat.
Furthermore, the sea is a corrosion-fest, everything gets saltwater on it eventually. This will also be worth keeping in consideration when deciding on a weapon system for a boat.
>>
Buy a 4 bore "signal" cannon.
>>
>>33706649
>You are subject to the laws of your country of origin while in international waters
You'd be pretty limited in where you could make port though, with a fucking cannon on the bow.
>>
>>33707258
>Might be hard to mount/fit/store it on a sailboat.
In the age of sail, there were gunships smaller than a 40' yacht that had several cannons. If it's properly mounted on rails and isn't too big, it should be fine.

What do you think the British Navy used on their boats when they were building an empire?

Not every boat was a ship of the line.
>>
>>33707295
Be that as it may, I was assuming OP was looking at something like the Beneteau he posted and not a ship from the 1600's. Needless to say they're built very differently.

A modern cruising sailboat isn't built to take any considerable load on the roof, furthermore there's a very limited number of spots (if any at all) where you could place something heavy and relatively tall where it won't be an absolute nightmare by catching on sheets, halyards or sails and being in the way for moving around all the time.

OP you could try finding a boat with an aluminium or steel hull, that way it'll probably be a lot easier to add things like reinforcements or tie-down points.
>>
>>33706517
Could you have a semi-auto .50 BMG? That should be enough to sink a first rate ship 'o the line.
>>
Spears facing outwards in every direction to prevent boarding and a swivel gun on top of the crew cabin, or maybe in the bow
>>
>>33707502
You'd be shooting at one for a while before you sunk it.
>>
>>33706517
>How would you outfit your battleboat?
With liquor and whores!
>>
>>33706649

Wouldn't a direct hit from a blackpowder cannon be able to put a hole into a modern warship?
>>
>>33709249
Depends on the range and size of the cannon, but you could probably hole the superstructure of a
Burke at 100 yards.
>>
File: sunseeker.jpg (43KB, 750x403px) Image search: [Google]
sunseeker.jpg
43KB, 750x403px
>"Our boat... the Sunseeker..."

Direct hit to the feels.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.