[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40s police

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Noir.jpg (188KB, 500x739px) Image search: [Google]
Noir.jpg
188KB, 500x739px
Hi, /k/. /tg/ here. I was advised me to come by here and ask you about police gear of the 40s, and what kind of guns did they use.
Also, I'm particulariy interested in women's clothing and footwear. I know that there were plenty of policewomen in that era, but I can't find any pictures of their uniform. Shit, I even can't find any of them as plainclothes detectives.
Can anyone help a brother out?
>>
there was no female police in that era. now git out.
>>
>>33706480
So what game are you running OP?
>>
>>33706485
>there was no female police in that era
But that's wrong, you fucking retard.
>>
>>33706480
Colt police positive
S&W Model 10
Remington Model 8 rifle
Ithaca 37 shotguns
>>
>>33706480
.38 special was a common caliber, and most police departments issued revolvers.

Also radios and crime laboratories were some cutting edge things around those times but were expensive and the local sheriff probably didn't have that kind of funding.
>>
>>33706480
i would imagine sort of similar to old school nurses and they're behind type writers and on dispatch or something. maybe accompanying some small children.
>>
>>33706506
I imagine if somebody's doing the fourties, the game would probably take place in New York or L.A. Otherwise, what's the point?
>>
>>33706526
B-but muh small town murder mystery.
>>
>>33706535
Both would work perfectly well
LA or New York
>Big city environment
>opportunity for lots of different characters
>Many of these characters you can possibly never see again and it makes perfect sense
>numerous places to explore
>big time crime syndicates run the city
>seedy underground
>killer is anyone in a sea of faces
Small town
>familiar places that can be fleshed out and explored in depth
>characters you can really get to know
>the killer could be your next door neighbor
>setting is homey and comfy
>>
>>33706526
Exactly.
>>
Prior to the late 60s/early 70s (but really not widely until the 80s) policewomen were auxiliaries who did social work with women and children and clerk tasks that required a "sworn officer" There certainly were no female patrol officers or detectives back then.

If you want to know how they dressed, look up female military uniforms of the era
>>
>>33706631
kojak with telly savalas. (think mid 70s)? had a episode where the first female detective got forced on the squad because of diversity and her original job was talking to rape victims. she didnt have any gum and was more like a psychologist.
>>
>>33706499
>>33706506

These, there's a handful of 38 revolvers they used but all looked very similar, the model 10 would be the great standard. Include a short barrel with about 10% less powerful and 20% less accurate if there'd be some mechanic in the game to where it's useful or just as a starting gun. Both police and civilians used them a lot.

Also

M1911a1 in 45 auto. Make sure you use an earlier model and not a modern one. 45 auto has a bit more than double the energy of a 38 but so I'd put maybe 20% extra damage on it. Both police and civilians used them.

Colt 1903 in 32 auto, would be less used but a good gun to throw in for civilians and enemies to use occasionally. Maybe 20% less power than 38.

There were a few 9mm handguns in the US you can look into but they weren't common among police. If the game is after WW2 then there'd be tons of cheap but quality surplus Nazi pistols but if it's before the war there would be none. It'd be great to throw in a browning high-power for 13 rounds of 9mm. 9mm could be put around 10% more powerful than 38.

Keep in mind there is no exact damage a bullet would do in real life, it might take 1 round of 32 in the heart to kill you or 3 rounds of 45 auto. If you're making a game, it'd be cool to have a large range of damages the round might do at random and a small chance of an instant kill or near instant kill where they're dead from bleeding 5 seconds later.
>>
>>33706495
>Muh revisionist history

Fuck off back to battlefield 1
>>
>>33707015
Even a cursory look at fucking wikipedia proves you wrong.
>>
File: IMG_3919.jpg (71KB, 720x543px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3919.jpg
71KB, 720x543px
>>33707015
But there was female police officers. Mostly meter maids but still officers
>>
>>33706480

>what kind of guns did they use.

Double action revolvers primarily chambered in 38 special (Smith and Wessons and Colts) and M1911s. Maybe a snub nose revolver or a Colt 1903 Pocket Hamerless for an undercover officer trying to conceal a gun.

Also pump shotguns were pretty common not sure what the most common model in the 40s was.

The FBI had heavier gear; but up until the 90s and the rise of SWAT cops pretty much only had handguns, shotguns and the occasional bolt action rifle.
>>
>>33707124
>>33707076
For some reason I doubt op is writing about a desk jockey or a meter maid.
>>
File: Moving the goalposts.jpg (28KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
Moving the goalposts.jpg
28KB, 300x240px
>>33707189
>>
>>33707189
THIS SUMMER

MELISSA MCCARTHY AND AMY "GOAT STANK PUSSY" SCHUMER ARE MOLLY METER MAIDS!!

COMING TO A KEK CINEMAS NEAR YOU!!!!
>>
File: 1490549385949.png (311KB, 409x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490549385949.png
311KB, 409x500px
>>33707223
>>
depends on locality
out west you could have wild west sheriffs on horses still. my family heirloom pistol is a six shooter my great grandpa carried from when arizona was still a territory before it was a state with a stamp on it.

honestly just look at what they used on bonnie and clyde
>s&w 10
>colt police revolver
>lever action winchester 30-30's
>tommy guns and BAR's
>snub nosed .38s were all the rage as operator super secret police guns
>1911's weren't that popular as sidearms but they were around
>mausers and springfields were everywhere for good reason
>ithaca 37's and model 1897 pump action shotguns

besides in the 40's city cops were all mc's or poles or scots and they all carried leather billy clubs. thats the ubiquitous sidearm really.
>leather billy clubs
>Saps, the flat leather kind with lead shot

Also, I'm particulariy interested in women's clothing and footwear. I know that there were plenty of policewomen in that era, but I can't find any pictures of their uniform. Shit, I even can't find any of them as plainclothes detectives.
Can anyone help a brother out?
>nigga watch some nick and nora charles movies aka the thin man
>>
>>33707223
It's not moving the goalposts when the original implication is that there are no female police officers active in the field and doing stuff like kicking doors down during the 40's. The later stuff about meter maids technically being police officers is irrelevant as it doesn't pertain to the fact that portraying female officers in the field during the 1940's never happened. Stop accusing others of the action you started.
>>
>>33707370
A meter maid is an officer
>>
>>33707280
>they both "bravely" gained 100 lbs for the role.
>for the roll
>>
>>33707370
This. OP said he couldn't find their uniforms or evidence of them bring detectives. Probably because they weren't. And yet you can bet your ass he will write it in as fact.
>>
>>33707378
you're making me want to read this
>>33707287
>>
>>33706480

Okay first of all, there WERE women employed by police forces in the US during WW2. Just like in the Army, Airforce and Navy - just a bit rarely as street cops, but it happened.

As for uniforms, how about you pick one city and fucus on it? Then as now the police forces have individual uniforms.
>>
https://www.policeone.com/police-history/articles/8634189-Police-History-The-evolution-of-women-in-American-law-enforcement/
>>
>>33707393
>for the rolls*
>>
>>33708149
>This “social work” type of involvement by females continued into the late 19th century as many police departments hired widows of police officers as way to give them a kind of “death benefit.”
>Owens worked primarily with women and children however, and, her title notwithstanding, her duties did not include patrol.
>Baldwin’s duties were primarily of a social work nature, beginning with protecting young women working at the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition
>Margaret Adams as the nations’ first female deputy sheriff in 1912, though Adams’ duties primarily involved evidence processing.
>Women continued to serve police departments in limited ways until the Great Depression and World War II in the 1930s and 1940s.
>Women continued to serve increasingly in support roles, however, such as dispatch and other “desk-bound” duties.

This article was also written by a certified retard. She referred to the 20th century as, "the new millennium,"
>>
>>33706495
Meter maids were considered officers
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.