[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Savage 64F

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: jleKT55pS_TC7hprlRx.png (1MB, 3650x733px) Image search: [Google]
jleKT55pS_TC7hprlRx.png
1MB, 3650x733px
Got this gun for Christmas about 3 years ago and dear god I hate it. Jams if you put more than 7 rounds in it's 10 round mag, only shoots Winchester ammo with any reliability, is a bitch to disassemble, and has no aftermarket.

Did I get a dud or is this gun just shit-tier?

Also, gimme suggestions for a replacement. Is 10/22 the best way to go or are there other options?
>>
The rifle itself is fine, it's the magazines that come with it that are known for being a total shit show - one of the few cases where aftermarket mags are actually a way better choice than factory mags. Treat yourself to a $25 replacement magazine and you'll be back in business.
>>
>>33702628
there are no aftermarket magazines.
>>
>>33701332
I just sold my 64 for 60 dollars. This gun is the shittiest semi-auto .22 there is. go with a 10/22...literally the only good .22 is a 10/22
>>
>>33702628
No aftermarket mags, but you can fix the factory mags feeding issue by taking a round needle file to the feed lips. It also helps to wear in the magazine spring, either by compressing it a bunch with a pen or by just loading and unloading.
>>
Look for magazines for the Cooey 64, which is what this rifle was called before Savage bought the manufacturing rights for it from Winchester. Here's somebody selling an old Winchester-made mag for it:

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/winchester-cooey-64-magazine-22-lr-10-round-original/370933160618/
>>
I don't know about this gun but I know the Marlin 795, Marlin model 60, savage a22, 10/22 all are good
>>
>bought one used
>mag release a shit
>unreliable
>can't even disassemble it
I feel like I fucked up somewhere, but it's like one of the screws is welded in or something, I can't take the barrel down.
Is this expected from this gun? If so, I'm pretty bummed.
>>
>>33701332
ruger american bolt 22 rimfire takes 10/22 mags and has some decent stocks, something to think about
>>
>>33701332
I had the same problem with a Remington 957.

Bought it because I liked the ergonomics so much more vs the 10/22 but goddamn was the thing unrelabile as fuck, lucky to get a mag to feed without some kind of jam with the thing sparking clean and lubed.

Sold it for a slight loss and got a 10/22 and that thing has not let me down after getting a longer stock and better charging handle/bolt holdopen.
>>
>>33701332
Really? It's weird I bought one and I have had no issue with reliability even with lower power subsonic ammo. The mag from the factory didn't like a full 10 rounds but would run 9 fairly well. I read online about gently filing a few places on the top of the mag, I did that and It hasn't jamed other then the occasional jam from not cleaning. Must just be a really hit or miss gun
>>
Marlin 795 - cheaper, more accurate out of the box than a 10/22. Had a 64f, mine ran flawlessly but meh sold it. Never selling the 795. 10/22 only good for aftermarket tacticool crap.
>>
It's worth buying one of the replacement wooden stocks from Numrich. The plastic stocks are awful.
>>
>>33701332
I have a Mossberg 702 plinker. It has nice sights and no reliability problems (although I've shot nothing but CCI high velocity through it). The finish is kinda cheap though.
>>
>>33704991
Cooey is one of those companies whose ownership bounced around a lot.
http://calibremag.ca/cooey-canadas-gunmaker/
Most of the "store brand" .22 rifles (Think: Sears) were made by Cooey.
>>
>>33704934
>only good semi-auto .22 is 10/22
Just picked up a CZ 455 Training rifle and she is an absolute dream. Like a dime at 25 yards out of the box.
>>
File: Untitled74.jpg (88KB, 900x484px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled74.jpg
88KB, 900x484px
I purchased one for my girlfriend, I tried to persuade her to a Mossberg plinkster for 89 bucks but she liked the look of this rifle. We haven't fired it yet but the damn thing won't even seat rounds correctly when at max mag capacity. I dont know how to fix it.
>>
I've had mine for about 10 years now and haven't had that much trouble with it. Maybe I just got lucky. I treat it like shit but still works just fine. Got my moneys worth out of it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.