[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Needing to see a Therapist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1442343690592-4.jpg (64KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
1442343690592-4.jpg
64KB, 530x530px
Hi /k/

I have plenty of experience with guns, but I don't actually personally own any. I've been having a bad time and I need to see a therapist/psychologist for personal issues regarding bad memories and depression (no anger problems or psychosis etc) but I'm nervous to go in case it blocks me from my right to own funs.

Has anyone here ever had to see a therapist but still not have their guns taken away? If I do see said therapist, how do I avoid being recorded as a potential loose cannon?
>>
>>33697651
you most likely will never see a gun in your lifetime.
>>
>>33697667
not true,
HIPAA is pretty legit
>>
You should be fine as long as you're seeing them voluntarily, and they don't end up actually diagnosing you with anything or medicating you. I've been going to one since last year and I still pass my 4473s
>>
>>33697651
don't talk about your desire to kill people, etc
>>
>>33697651
Have you been involuntarily committed by a court order? Declared legally insane by a court?

No? Then you can buy a gun.
>>
>>33697651
I went through something similar OP. I was pretty depressed but not really suicidal. Was afraid of losing my guns so I didn't go,to a therapist. I have a really close knit family, so I told them and they helped me through it.

Thats not really an option for everyone, but was for. I bet the statistics for people not getting the help they need so they don't lose their guns is pretty high. Once again, thanks Obama
>>
>>33697707

But depression is kind of vanilla, I think being diagnosed with that is inevitable.

>>33697708

I assume you're just joking, but I don't feel that way. I don't even want to kill myself, I just want to stop feeling so bad.

>>33697712

Nothing like that, but I've never filled out any kind of form or had a background check for guns. What should I watch out for when filling one out? I know that lying on one is a federal crime.
>>
>>33697725
Someone should make that last part a /k/ thumbs up ball.
>>
>>33697651
As long as you live in a decent state, and don't mention owning guns, or being suicidal/homicidal/psychotic you should be fine.
>>
>>33697744
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

The thing you're concerned about is question 11.f.

"Seeing a therapist" does not meet the grounds for answering "yes" on this, so you are fine. If you need more info, look at the instructions for 11.f on p4.

>a determination by a court, board, commission or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease; (1) is a danger to himself or others; or 920 lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs. This term shall include: (1) a finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case; and (2) those persons found incompetent to stand trail or found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.

This is not something your therapist determines by themselves.
>>
>>33698045
This is the only useful answer ITT. I've taken three trips to the mental ward for being an edgy teenager and passed a 4473 yesterday because they were all voluntary stays
>>
>>33697651
As long as your seeing them voluntarily and your therapist doesn't see you as a threat to yourself/others you'll be fine. I was seeing one not too long ago for depression (had no friends since high school and needed advice/guidance on how to make new ones) and anxiety (again around making friends and workplace anxiety) and bought an AK while this was going on. I passed the 4473 with flying colors.
>>
>>33698045
>>33698475

Thanks for the perspective, fellas. It means a lot. I'll see about going in and I won't mention my hobbies.

It's an awful feeling I have and I want to be able to try fix it. I keep recalling so many awful moments from many years ago and they feel so real and its painful. The weird part is, these feelings are very recent.
>>
>>33698045
I should note that the instructions section on 11.f also includes the conditions by which your rights might be restored to you, even if you did a turn in the booby hatch courtesy of a court of law.

So really, people, read the fucking document. It's on the internet and everything.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.