[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are belts even all that much lighter way to carry ammunition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: 91608_ts.jpg (84KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
91608_ts.jpg
84KB, 1155x1155px
Are belts even all that much lighter way to carry ammunition than 30 round usgi aluminum magazines?Especially when you factor in the weight of the mechanism necessary for feeding the belt into the gun?

How about gunners just having a beefed up version of that country's armed forces' rifle? What about actually removing the gunner role completely, atleast for when it comes to intermediate calibers? Just have everyone carry two or three more magazines and beef up the service rifle slightly with a bit thicker barrel and so on, i'm not sure if the ar-15 could be all that easily adapted to this role but i know that many piston guns atleast could easily perform sufficiently.
>>
>>33687117
Not really. You have to keep in mind that belts are just for machine guns, which need large magazine capacities more than your average rifle. So unless you have one of those, you don't need belts at all.
>>
File: colt_lmg2.jpg (34KB, 650x295px) Image search: [Google]
colt_lmg2.jpg
34KB, 650x295px
>>33687117
Colt canada solved this a while ago. Brits have the L86 LSW. AUG HBAR for Austria. Automatic riflemen have had what you're talking about for a good while. Hell the soviet bloc had the RPK since forever. Also why the USMC just adopted the M27 IAR to replace the M249
>>
>>33687166
Man what's up with that silly handguard.
>>
>>33687166
those intermediate caliber machine guns are in general an outdated thing. a rifle caliber machine gun is far more effective and the reason those lighter ones are being phased out. In the USMCs case the squads are larger and they still have a GPMG in their squad.
>>
>>33687205
I thought it was just Leaf engineering, but I have to amend my statement a little. Colt (US branch) and Diemaco (Who became Colt Canada) both worked on the Colt Automatic Rifle. So basically, who the fuck knows why it looks like that. Some weird byproduct of Leaf-Burger interaction
>>
>>33687166
>That handguard
I bet she's a thick amazon with those huge knockers
>>
>>33687341
>>33687266
>>33687205
QUIT TALKING SHIT ON THE HANDGUARD IT'S A GOOD HANDGUARD
>>
>>33687117
OK, lets forget about military budget.

How about giving every soldier :

-a select fire assault rifle with a quick change heavy barrel + 1 spare barrel and a bipod
-a good magnified 1-4x optic
-several 100 rounds drum mags (like 3-4)
-a suppressor

In short, is giving every soldier a tacticooled ultimax would improve a squad deadliness ?
>>
>>33687341

>Colt Automatic Rifle
>Thick Amazon with huge knockers

Where are the drawfags when you need them most?
>>
>>33687117
>Just have everyone carry two or three more magazines
How much do you think people are actually carrying mags into a gunfight?
>>
>>33687402
Basically no. If he's a NATOfag then he already has an optic. Generally a suppressor isn't really giving you that much of an advantage since to make the most of it you need to be shooting sub-sonic, so a good brake is better for recoil control. Drums are a pain in the ass. Needs to be light and have dual feed, cause a 100rd. belt in a cloth nutsack is better than a drum. This is why more guns like the ARES MCR will start to exist. It's a better way better M249 built on an AR lower with none of the weight of the M249 platform
>>
>>33687166
>replace the M249
Wrong.
>>
File: f.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
f.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>33687498
>Suppressor isn't an advantage if you're not shooting subsonic
>>
File: 1411747555071.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1411747555071.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>33687117
t. I don't know jack shit about the military because I never enlisted since I would probably punch the drill sargent in the face if he yelled at me but I still know what's best.
>>
>>33687538
>Gee I sure love making my gun much dirtier and much hotter much much faster!

Not that anon, I just got here, suppressors are for ARG larpers and a select few actual coolguys.
>>
>>33687402
Bipod is kinda useless though imo, if you really need a rest, just use the magazine as a monopod.
>>
>>33687471
Somewhere around 7 30 round mags isn't it?
>>
>>33687557
>I'm a better person for signing away my life for a corrupt government and causes

>>33687587
How is less recoil, confusing where fire is coming from and reducing muzzle report to arguably hearing safe levels useless? It may not be worth the cost as a standard issue piece of kit but it's hardly useless.
>>
>>33687523
You're right anon, I misspoke. They're just phasing it out completely, Retaining the M240, and moving to issuing the M27 IAR to every rifleman. See: MARCORSYSCOM RFI M67854-17-I-1218
>>
>>33687650
Oh wow. A request for information. Totally got me man.
>>
>>33687402
>>100 round drum mags

Try clearing a building with that on your weapon slowing down target acquisition as the weight pulls the barrel down.
Try quickly consolidating ammo supply after tactical reloads too!
>>
File: nork infantry.jpg (915KB, 1905x1857px) Image search: [Google]
nork infantry.jpg
915KB, 1905x1857px
>>33687778
^this

drum mags are a meme, all operators should be max comfy all the time.

or if you're incompetent north koreans you can use drums on an AK like a LMG
>>
File: helicalheader.jpg (225KB, 1279x841px) Image search: [Google]
helicalheader.jpg
225KB, 1279x841px
>>33687851
>>
>>33687778
Right, filling drums or C-mags is a bitch, but on the other hand, tactical reloads would be a rare occurence with such big mags.

As for room clearing, I've seen some pics of guys with SAW's doing it, so while it would be suboptimal, it's probably not that bad with a heavier weapon than your typical AR.
>>
>>33687928
Why not make mags longer? Galil has 50 round mags.
>>
>>33687166
>muh M27
It's not replacing the M249 you dildo, that's literally a smokescreen because the muhreens want to replace their M16s and M4s

>>33687402
Eh.

You can kind of make a lighter support weapon vaguely like that, something that lands between a SAW and an infantry rifle, think how the Ruskies are using their RPK and later RPK74

But I feel you can't really look past an advantage like a belt-feed.
Reliable 100rd magazines can be made, but they will be quite heavy and quite expensive, not to talk about bulky. Russia used drums for a time, but eventually just decided that regular magazines (except a little longer) was just more practical.

Sure, you can again look at the Russians, they field their RPKs (light support weapon) along with a PKM (a GPMG), and it works, but if you can afford to do it, also adding belt-fed SAWs into your squads can really be a great advantage.

Hell, the Russians literally looked into this recently, being interested in the idea of a 5.45mm belt-fed weapon (in my opinion, a really good idea), I can't remember how it went, but it was something they thought there was some value in.

If you already have a belt-fed SAW, I really don't see any worthwhile reason in replacing that with a slightly beefed up version of your infantry rifle and some bigger mags, this feels like a step backwards to me, you're downgrading in capability.
>>
>>33687117
>removing the gunner role completely
>only having GPMGs being any better

Here's the basics of winning an engagement:
>establish a firebase that keeps grinding the enemy down with nonstop automatic fire
>while the enemy is pinned, move the rest of your unit into a flanking position
>assault through the enemy position from the flank while your firebase shifts fire to cover advance

It's pretty hard to establish an effective firebase when you can't keep up a rate of fire because you keep burning out your barrels and have to reload every 4 bursts. GPMGs are platoon-level assets, while LMGs are section/squad-level. You need weapons capable of sustained fully-automatic fire to create a beaten zone that traps the enemy while your assault team outmanoeuvres them. Getting rid of the weapons capable of the highest sustained rate of fire is fucking stupid.
>>
>>33687970
>can't get as low in prone position
>more awkward to move while carrying mags in a vest
>increased weapon profile what makes it more unwieldy

There just isn't any real advantage over current setups, while it would require a kit and logistical overhaul along with being more awkward for the soldier.
>>
>>33687970
While it looks badass with a long mag like that, using that with a bipod would be awkward as shit.
>>
>>33687606
>I have greater experience and wisdom about something that I purposely avoid
>>
you guys think that xm556 microgun will go anywhere besides "hey tiny minigun!!"
personally no, at least not without a stock and some other shit on it
>>
>>33689232
If you think it'll ever be an infantry weapon you're out of your mind, nobody would have a good use for that rate of fire, couldn't carry enough ammo to make it practical.

If you were to make it mounted, like on a technical, and downed the speed of the motor to something like 1000rpm, and instruct the gunner for intermittent short bursts, then MAYBE you'd have something.
>>
>>33687205
>>33687166
Thought that handguard was the one for that belt fed HBAR m16 upper?
>>
>>33689982
disregard it wasnt belt fed. Colt LMG upper.

Would be cool to build that upper but beltdef.
>>
File: operating ultimax.jpg (118KB, 748x748px) Image search: [Google]
operating ultimax.jpg
118KB, 748x748px
>>33687402

>In short, is giving every soldier a tacticooled ultimax would improve a squad deadliness ?
Singaporean autism leading the way!
>>
>>33687224
>those intermediate caliber machine guns are in general an outdated thing
>those
Yes those on particular, because intermediate MGs aren't going anywhere for a hell of a long time as they continue to succeed in their given role.
>>
>>33687402
Nobody wants to carry any of that shit, especially a spare barrel with a bipod. The worst part of the ultimax is and hasee always been the drum and carrying drums sucks dick
>>
>>33687587
Why don't you ask anyone that's ever actually been within 100ft of a suppressor, read any of the reports of actual units that have used them or the entire marine battalion that is putting cans on EVERYTHING
>>
>>33688102
>It's not replacing the M249 you dildo, that's literally a smokescreen because the muhreens want to replace their M16s and M4s
Except not
>>
>>33690233
>muhreens buy more M249s after starting the program
>they basically use the M27 as a rifle, instead of a LSW
Yeah, totally replacing the M249 bro.

Marines are dumb, but not that dumb, they understand the importance of a proper SAW.
>>
>>33690403
>they basically use the M27 as a rifle, instead of a LSW
Oh boy 1-2 people getting a rifle per a squad is replacement
>>
>>33690403
>muhreens buy more M249s after starting the program
So they're replacing everything with M249's instead! Totes a covert way to shift away from the M-4/M16 family
>>
>>33687650
Wow. But do they got the mags that fits m27 he patter mag well?
>>
>>33687970
I only use my 30 rd FAL mag when I go to competition
>>
>>33688171
I always wonder what happen if there is more enemy behind the pined enemy, and they open fire at the assault team when they assault through. And the assault team also blocked support teams' line of fire
>>
>>33692813
The flankers get in position and give the signal. They don't rush blindly until they are ready to shift fire.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.