[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a good shooter, /k/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: jerry.jpg (122KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
jerry.jpg
122KB, 500x333px
I want to do comp handgun shooting. I’m somewhere between a beginner and intermediate right now. How do I become a great shooter?

Should I take a specific class?
Should I read a certain book?
Should I hire a personal instructor?
>>
>>33684513
Just keep shooting. I was a rifle coach in the Marines. Never fired a rifle a day in my life before bootcamp. Scored a 217, later a 243 when I requalled.

The funny thing is the guy next to me shot a 249. 250 is the max score, it's damn near impossible to do that. His MOS was something paper pusher, a damn pog, but he nailed it because he shot his entire life.

So to reiterate, keep shooting.
>>
File: Jerry-Miculek-Captain-America.jpg (46KB, 413x534px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry-Miculek-Captain-America.jpg
46KB, 413x534px
>>33684545
I bought a few thousand rounds to start. What if I'm using shit technique while I practice?
>>
>>33684556
You might need some instructions. Maybe hire someone to teach you the basics. After that it's muscle memory.

I'm guessing you don't have an older guy to teach you this stuff. Shooting really is like riding a bike, once you got it, you got it.
>>
"Be the first one to come at the range, and the last one to leave."
>>
>>33684556
1) shoot moar
2) ask questions to the people who get faster times than you
3) take a competition shooting class (/k/ will jump down my throat for this and insist that there is no such thing as a good instructor- ignore them, they've never even shot an IDPA classifier if they've ever even attended a match. If Jerry offered them a free course they'd take it without thinking.)
4) SHOOT MOAR
5) get a better gun when you find yourself shooting up to the limits of whatever cheap base-model service pistol you invariably started with
6) SHOOT MOAR
>>
File: perfection.jpg (147KB, 632x800px) Image search: [Google]
perfection.jpg
147KB, 632x800px
>>33684513

Just discovered him and holy moley this guy is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

1000 yd 9mm shot, second shot, (dat moon clip reload) 3 sec from shot to hitting target
>>
>>33684513
Find your local idpa club you will get a lot of practice plus tips and you will know who can shoot vs who talks.
>>
>>33684757
Who is that in your pic friendo?
>>
As my Concealed Carry instructor once said: "Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect".

Basically saying that if you are going to practice, make sure you are learning the right stuff. You can practice day and night for a year, but if you are doing it wrong means nothing.
>>
If you're looking for good literature, any of the books by Brain Enos are good. He's sort of a Legend in the competive-shooting world.
You are correct that just shooting does not make you better, just turns money into noise. Do some reading, but most importantly go shoot with people better than you. IPSC/IDPA stuff. It's not cheap, but shooting isn't a cheap sport. Find the pros, emulate them. Don't finagle with their system, emulate. Sorta like how with people start lifting and they do Rippetoe's Starting Strength and he says "Do NOT fuck with the program, you don't know what you're doing!" You're a noob. Nothing wrong with that, but you'll always be a noob if you just shoot a lot and don't learn shit.
>>
Also, if you don't shoot on a dynamic range (that allows moving and shooting), don't load more than 5 rounds per mag. On a static range, you're focusing on target acquisition and initial shot placement. Rounds 1, 2 and 3 are WAY more important than shots 14, 15 and 16.
5 rounds per mag, draw, shoot, re-holster, bring the target in, mark holes, rinse and repeat. Helps make ammo last longer and keeps you training on what matters most; draw technique, speed and initial shot placement/index-shooting.
Snap-caps are a must for dry-firing at home (literally FREE practice, ask the pros, they dry fire thousands of times per week) and can also help with malfunction drill if a buddy loads your mags and sneaks some snap caps in.
>>
>>33684513
As Jerry said

>A lot of people ask me how do I get to the next level? Well.... you get to the next level by being the first one on the range and the last one to leave.
>>
>>33684513
>How do I become a great shooter?
By learning theessential basics and practicing a lot.

Shooting is simple. It might not be easy, but it is simple.
>>
File: 1477781626996.jpg (221KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1477781626996.jpg
221KB, 2048x1360px
>>33684513
>How do I become a good shooter, /k/?

Set up an account on pistol-forum and read up on pistol-training. You will soak up knowledge like a sponge from reading those two places more than anything you will on /k/.

Dryfire. Do structured and meaningful dry fire to ingrain solid repetitions. Doesn't matter how much you shoot, you will never be as good if you don't have structured dryfire sessions on a consistent basis.

You must always go to the range with a goal in mind "today I'm going to try shooting a 3x5 at 25 yards". Push past your mental barriers and buy a shot timer to measure speed just as you measure accuracy with a target.

One of the BEST ways you can better yourself as a shooter is by going to a basic pistol class taught by an instructor who is able to teach and shoot at a high level. Some examples of shooters that can teach competitive shooting are some of the following
>Ernest Langdon
>Mike Pannone
>Frank Proctor

You will not learn as fast as going to class if you try to figure everything out yourself. Having a good instructor that can stand next to you and diagnose everything you're doing right and everything you're doing wrong can help bypass years and years of bad habits/poor technique.

There's a whole plethora of knowledge out there on pistol-forum and pistol-training. That forum is single handedly the reason why I see huge leaps in performance.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3592-ToddG-for-Beginners

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?7708-Dry-Practice-Misconceptions-Updated-12-04-16

It also helps to stick to one gun and learning it like the back of your hand as opposed to bouncing around from 3-5 different kinds of guns each time you go to the range.
>>
>>33686962
>Set up an account on pistol-forum and read up on pistol-training. You will soak up knowledge like a sponge from reading those two places more than anything you will on /k/.

yep, this.
>>
>>33686988

I'd vote for Enos over PT. Check out Ben Stoeger's books too, it's hard to argue with winning Production as much as he's done.
>>
File: 1476521716376.gif (835KB, 280x189px) Image search: [Google]
1476521716376.gif
835KB, 280x189px
>>33687021
I've never went on Eno's forum but since he's more geared for competitive shooting, I wouldn't argue that it would not be a bad idea.

Seconding on Stoeger's books. He also has a good podcast with Primary & Secondary. Good dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzOTaKrAoM

>he has one of his competition guns with well over 1,000,000 dryfire reps into it and 100,000 rounds through it
>>
>>33684513
The obvious one is to shoot as often as you possibly can.
You should also listen to the people around, who may or may not have done it for longer than you,
but only as something to keep in mind. You just have to find what works for you, honestly.
>>
>>33684513
Shoot, shoot, shoot, don't be a cunt, shoot and shoot even more...

Know your body
Know your firearm
Experiment, test and learn from each attempt
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.