[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BCM upper advice needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: BCM-URG-MID-16LW BFH-3.jpg (138KB, 800x476px) Image search: [Google]
BCM-URG-MID-16LW BFH-3.jpg
138KB, 800x476px
Hey /k/

I am looking into getting a BCM upper and I have narrowed it down to two choices:

1. BCM BFH 16" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group (.625FSB). I would either fit it with a non-free float rail from Midwest or go with a FF rail from Daniel Defense.

2. BCM Standard 20" Government Profile Upper Receiver Group. I am not sure what rail I would want to go with the upper if I went this route.

My question is if you could only have one upper with your lower, which of the two would you go with? I ideally see myself using this for home defense/SHTF. I am slightly leaning towards the lighter 16" upper but I could see the value of reliability in a 20". Any advice appreciated.
>>
>>33682327

14.5" most reliable with carbine gas length, more wear on parts

16" midlength is slightly less kick, still same reliability but a few ounces heavier in the front

20" and rifle-length gas system puts less wear on moving parts than a 16" or 14.5", and will last longer than the two but it won't be ergonomic to wield during drills or the sort

i own a 16" BCM BFH for my all-purpose carbine, i've humped an M16A2/A4 on a 12k before and that thing becomes a motherfucking rock around that 6 mile mark, so i can't suggest a 20" for shit hitting the fan for that very reason

10 lb. 5.56 weapon = bad idea, no-go for me, 5.56 is too underwhelming, even an M4 with an Acog, foregrip, IR laser and gee-whiz-bang shit is more wieldy than a bone-stock M16A4.
>>
Get light weight whenever possible. Government profile is useless. For all the shooting civs do pencil barrel is best barrel.
>>
>>33683063
This.
>>
>>33683063
>For all the shooting civs do pencil barrel is best barrel.
For all the humping civs do, heavy barrel is best barrel.
>>
File: ff.jpg (265KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
265KB, 1280x720px
>>33683105
no
>>
I went 16" on my first build. 18" on my second. I'll probably do a 20" next. I can't really see any benefit in the shorter barrels.

As far as I can tell, 16" is so common only because people want to buy the M4s they see in the movies, but settle on M4geries.
>>
File: arup.jpg (840KB, 1773x639px) Image search: [Google]
arup.jpg
840KB, 1773x639px
16" upper, slap a DD Omega rail on there.

Unless you're planning for the end of the world/civilization scenario that requires much much MUCH more than a 4" difference in a single rifle situation, there's no big practical advantage you get for a full size ar15.
In fact, get the 20" if you want, there's a ton of problems you need to address in that same situation, and going rambo and room clearing like some operator, alone, is probably on the bottom of that list.
>>
>>33682712
OP here
Awesome insight and advice thank you. I think I'm settled on the 16" BCM upper
>>
Anyone have that chart of 5.56 velocities out of different barrel lengths?
>>
>>33682327
why don't you build your own upper with the exact shit you want? all you're doing by buying a completed upper is giving some fag $200 extra to wrench your barrel in for you
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.