[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shelter test for everyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: OMG bears.png (544KB, 620x340px) Image search: [Google]
OMG bears.png
544KB, 620x340px
Gentlemen I give you a new question. Here is the situation: 10 /k/ randoms are together in the woods no homo. Stream nearby, lake nearby & woods all around with hills. We have normal gear packs, guns, fishing and ammunition. It is spring. We need a shelter before fall cause bears getting ready for hibernation and wolves hunting will raid our shit and tents we have wont cut it.

How do we make a shelter for 10 that is bear & wolf proof. Do you make a log cabin? Heated bricks? Stone and mud? Will you go the extra mile with mud and heat to make a toilet, water pipe and waste pipes?
>>
>>33681794
Dugout.
Need almost nothing but shovel and axe for the base version.
>>
>>33681816
Actually that might have been a wrong translation.
What I'm thinking about is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zemlyanka
>>
>>33681825
The base version is just a hole in the ground covered with lumber, and then covered with dirt over it. Additional amenities may include wooden walls and floor, as well as a triangular roof.
>>
>>33681825
>>33681923
Understand these people have military grade at best folding shovels. Your idea is solid but not covering everything.
>>
File: tent_garage.jpg (63KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tent_garage.jpg
63KB, 1000x1000px
Now, since we have some technology a great preparation resource would be a dome top garage kit.
It can be erected by one man in half a day easily with minimal tools and will provide shelter from rain.
There is no heat insulation though.
>>
File: Bear sweet sweet loving.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bear sweet sweet loving.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>33681956
You've never seen a bear before have you? The small ones car tear apart fiberglass aircraft for food.
>>
>>33681951
I'm convinced shovels are absolutely necessary in this scenario.
>>
>>33681794
hemp
>>
>>33682015
Agreed, we are talking about /k/ here with their bug out bags and terrible jeeps. Seeing how far they thought about this.
>>
>>33681794
There is 10 of us and we all have guns. We should simply rotate taking watch and just sleep in the tents so we don't waste energy building a fortress.
>>
>>33682052
You trust 50% of /k/ with a night watch for 4-5 months?
>>
>>33682063
>4-5 months?
Pulling numbers out of your ass now because it was a great idea?
Anyways, most of us /k/ommandos are still going to be up shitposting in the middle of the night, as we are now, so it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>33681794
So we have half the year to build? Why would we not build a fucking village of 10 log cabins? We could even have a central mead hall.
>>
File: deliverance-quotes-7.jpg (83KB, 500x261px) Image search: [Google]
deliverance-quotes-7.jpg
83KB, 500x261px
>>33682102
Spring to fall... Nevermind about the numbers comment, but still. Don't go innawoods with randoms, Anon.
>>
>>33682015
you'll need a pick axe to dig that.

unless that ground is really hard silt. it is suicidal to dig more than 4 feet down with out reinforcing the walls. so you don't get crushed and buried by the walls caving in on you.
>>
>>33682102
>>33682132
No problem, making you think. That is the key. Each time you improve yourself.

>>33682120
Okay Log cabins. How are you securing the doors. Is there plumbing? 10 cabins is a shit ton of work honestly.

>>33682136
Good eye, back breaking work. Not a job I want to do again.
>>
File: IMG_1868.jpg (75KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1868.jpg
75KB, 533x400px
Go native.

Pic related
>>
>>33682063
Plenty of time to learn who you can trust. The others might get "lost" by then.
>>
>>33681794
What sort of territory are you building in? The composition of your soil, your available resources, and your terrain matter greatly for what you can and should build.
>>
>>33682165
>securing the doors
Without ironwork, you can simply join together a door and bar it from the inside.
>plumbing
ye olde outhouse. Even if I felt like making clay plumbing I'm not hauling buckets of water to flush the toilet.
>>
>>33682012
Actually, that's a Super Cub, a fabric covered plane. They flew it out with duct tape.
>>
>>33682184
While guard duty is not for everyone, each lost can be a bad thing. Guard duty is the most boring job you can find. Work all day, try to stay awake all night. The thing is those people might be good for other things. Firewood collection, hunting, fishing or collecting wild plants. Even if a dumbass cant stay awake at watch but can collect firewood, fish and only has a single break open shot is useful.

>>33682222
Food & water is not an issue. Dealing with hilly forested in northern midwest. Water table is well below anything you build and mudslides are not an issue.
>>
start watching Primitive Technology videos on youtube.

Wattle and Daub Hut with hand made ceramic roof tiles. fire heated stone bed surface. bow powered blower to make your kiln hot enough to melt iron out of orange pond scum and form iron metal specks.
>>
>>33682063
Really you just have to trust that most of them are self interested autists who will bitch and moan about every slight up to and including anybody even appearing to be less attentive than them on guard duty. Sounds like your average shit poster to me.
>>
File: IMG_1870.jpg (64KB, 533x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1870.jpg
64KB, 533x399px
If all your worried about is nature than it's pretty simple. It's other people that tend to complicate things.
>>
>>33682298
Negative. I am trying to provide a more balanced situation to react to. In society you will have 1 useless person. 1-2 useless unless you find their "gift". 10 people is not a lot honestly. I dont care about their views or ideals. I am only going with skills and dependability.

You need to survive the winter. With these people. Without murdering them. At the same time not getting slaughter by wolves cause someone though a nylon sheet would protect you.
>>
>>33682136
http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p916.htm
>>
>>33682369
Continued on. This is not a trap or a trick, There are many ways out. You have to think of them, prepare for them & have them ready.. /k/ is more than guns. It is weapons. It is tactics. It is the mind. Sometimes you have deal with others, fools or not to survive. How you use them is up to you.
>>
File: IMG_1871.jpg (70KB, 524x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1871.jpg
70KB, 524x400px
>>33682298
Right up to the point one of them gets eaten by a bear or a wolf pack.

That should stop most of the bitching.
>>
>>33682369
Just set up can alarms around the perimeter if you are so mistrusting of your groups dependability. Ez pz. Now nobody is going to get crushed by your shoddy workmanship on a fortress /k/ampground
>>
>>33682466
Now /k/ is thinking. Nice job.
>>
>>33681794
>Gentlemen I give you a new question. Here is the situation: 10 /k/ randoms are together in the woods no homo.
>no homo
What the fucking point then OP?
>>
File: 1426988423033.png (206KB, 1090x803px) Image search: [Google]
1426988423033.png
206KB, 1090x803px
>>33681794
dumping some info
>>
File: Bullet Resistence chart.jpg (38KB, 481x504px) Image search: [Google]
Bullet Resistence chart.jpg
38KB, 481x504px
>>33682844
>>
>>33682263
Well, you have plenty of wood to work with and hopefully your ground isn't too rocky. You don't have a considerable amount of rainfall. Anything with wood and earthenworks honestly. You could fence in your compound with palisades backed by dirt. You probably won't have large stones to work with. How is the clay composition over there? Washington clay is very dense but works great for making ovens or otherwise drying for assembly.

I would personally vote for a longhouse style home or anything covered in sod.
>>
>We need a shelter before fall cause bears getting ready for hibernation and wolves hunting will raid our shit and tents we have wont cut it.

Oh, for fuck's sake. Each man could have an adequate lean-to built inside of the first day. You don't need a god damned fort. Bears and wolves would not hunt a group of ten men.

As for defending food against predators, you know what backpackers do? They put their food in a bag, toss a rope over a branch, and hoist it up. Shit is fucking solved.

Now that the easy stuff is handled, you spend the next few months gathering and storing food. That's the actual hard part. There's a very good chance you're going to starve during winter, living somewhere with bears and wolves, with only a single season to prepare.
>>
>>33681794
>keeping food in tents in bear country
>keeping food in tents ever

Everyone buys bear tags
Cache the food
Kill bears that won't be chased off, and add them to your food.
>>
>>33682854
>>33682844
Pretty cool, thanks for those.
>>
>>33681794

You can make african bricks like the picture youve got. You could fire them too for water resistance.

Then just chop down some trees, halve them, and drive them into the ground about 6 inches behind the wall. Fill with bio degradable material. The compost effect will heat the rooms.

Or have a central hearth with a ceiling lined with mylar. Dug outs with wooden roof sections.

OR if its 10 fucking people, go buy a large shed, insulation and a wood burning stove that is large.

Some models come with partitions or dividers.
>>
File: 1492135443873.jpg (23KB, 428x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492135443873.jpg
23KB, 428x600px
>>33682281
This. His shit is mesmerizing
>>
>>33682168
I'm pretty sure that the start of Assassin's Creed III was based on that diorama.
>>
>>33681825
Funnily enough, most Minecraft players make something identical for their first night.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.