[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RNZAF Strike Wing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: download (5).jpg (12KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
12KB, 228x221px
/k/iwi here, this thread is about the RNZAF Strikewing, the retarded decision to scrap it, why it needs to be brought back, and why it hasn't.

For outsiders essentially this happened:
>Have a neat little strikeforce which was equipped with new Aermacchis and retrofitted A-4 Skyhawks.
>Get set up for "the deal of the century" with the U.S at the turn of the millenium for a one for one replacement of Skyhawks with F-16 Fighting Falcons
>Nearly goes through but disgusting Labour get in government and fuck the whole thing up
>Say the Air Force should "head in a new direction"
>9/11 happens
>"Australia will protect us!" meme is pushed.
>withdraws fighters claiming they will sell them to get money
>Planes sit wasting away wrapped in glad wrap outside.
>Get sold to museums and Draken after over a decade.

As a New Zealander it sickens me how out Air Force and overall Defence policy is so unashamedly selfish. There seems to be a pervasive meme that MP's believe which says that we can let everyone else get their hands dirty while only putting forward token contributions. Despite barely meeting 1% of GDP on our Defence spending.

Also: I tear up whenever I see the patches that were made for the F-16 delivery.
>>
>>33673457
As an Australian I think you guys should help in the defence of our region by sharing RAAF Darwin with us. F16s would be neat

Do your part!
>>
>>33673457
Burger here. Why did your goverment cock up the airforce so badly its Africa tier? Did no one try to oppose it seriously?
>>
>>33673503
Helen Clark, then Prime Minister was an anti-war hippie. She was intent on doing the opposite the military recommended.

I know for the fact the 28 aircraft were being sold to NZ for NZ$200m (i.e. a literal bargain) and that the fines for ditching the deal were about ~NZ$60m.

Even her party didn't agree with it but they went along with it because they didn't want to look like they were having infighting.
>>
Did we ever use our strike planes for anything? I mean, we're fucking far away from everyone and practically always fight in a coalition. It seems silly from an economy of scale thing to invest in strike planes.

If we were going to increase our def budget, I would probably spend it on some heavier IFVs for more fire support, and more ASW assets. I might be retarded though so who knows.
>>
>>33673476
That would be a good way to do it but MP's often weasel their way out of such suggestions. Maybe if Winston wins
>>33673503
Because it was a shitcunt lefty government who thought the fall of the wall meant disarmament was imminent and was another sad attempt at NZ being world leaders in yet another shitty field. Also, it wasn't put to a parliamentary debate, it just happened. There were protests though.
>>
>>33673539
For us its contributing to coalitions meaningfully and actually being of use to our allies.
>>
I worked at the airforce base for those new choppers then went back up the line to wire out the new simulator because the new choppers were too expensive to fly.
>>
Wait, New Zealand is a real country? I thought they just made it up for flight of the concords lel
>>
Isn't the biggest threat to New Zealands peace 50% poisonous animals and 50% angry natives?

Why do you need F16s against either?
>>
>>33674071
Revenge for 1981

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOq-oe2kN8
>>
>>33674071
>>
>>33674071
Helping Australia.
>>
File: 1461557199181.jpg (50KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
1461557199181.jpg
50KB, 1137x640px
>>33674071
>Why do you need F16s against either?

To help fling more mud at China when shit goes down there.
>>
>>33673540
oh man. the idea that New Zealand is a world leader is about as bad as our pollies trying to claim Australia is a world leader. i wish these fucks would retire and let people who are interested in the welfare of our own countries have a go.
>>
>>33674090
explain
>>
NZer here. Now burger. The military down there really has beeen worn down to a nub. We need to maintain a slick navy to patrol our huuuuge waters and police those of our smaller neighbours, while being able to intervene in local conflicts (fuckin Fiji coup #645). For this we need good navy and air power. I remember seing the fighter jets fly over when i was a kid. Sad to see them axed. I remember that whole debacle. Fuck helen clark.
>>
>>33674111

This, and checked

It's always nice to know that if Australia is ever invaded NZ will be their to lend us a hand
>>
>>33674546
On the 1st of February 1981, Australia played New Zealand in a One Day International cricket match, the third of five such matches in the final of the Benson & Hedges World Series Cup, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. With one ball of the final over remaining, New Zealand required a six to draw the match. To ensure that New Zealand did not get the runs they needed, the Australian captain, Greg Chappell, instructed his bowler (and younger brother), Trevor Chappell, to deliver the last ball underarm, along the ground. This action was legal at the time, but nevertheless seen as being against the spirit of cricketing fair play.

Tensions between Australia and New Zealand collapsed after this event which culminated in New Zealand declaring war against Australia on the 2nd of February 1981. Quite possibly the most unheard of conflict and one of the shortest, neither Australia or New Zealand had the means to stage an offensive against each other due to lack of strategic sea and airlift capabilities. A peace deal was signed later that afternoon and the two countries have returned to a peaceful existence.
>>
>>33674658
NZer here. happened before i was born but still bitter about that fucking bowl.
>>
File: 20170303raaf8185068_0308.jpg (1MB, 3600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
20170303raaf8185068_0308.jpg
1MB, 3600x2400px
>>33673457
BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHBABHABHAHAHAH
>>
When I was a kid. The sight of RNZAF fighter based in Butterworth never cease to amaze me.
>>
File: towson-tigers-1.jpg (391KB, 1656x1167px) Image search: [Google]
towson-tigers-1.jpg
391KB, 1656x1167px
>>33674741
Did Australia just slap the athletic logo of the Towson University Tigers on the side of a Hornet?
>>
>>33673457
Kiwis are too inbred retarded to be allowed to have fighter jets
>>
>>33674946
Yes, but in their defence no one even knows where that is or what sport that play.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.