[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military Discharges

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

File: 1491693405229.jpg (101KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
1491693405229.jpg
101KB, 500x706px
After getting an OTH for doing something stupid (alcohol related), I am trying to upgrade my discharge. Inb4 "Good luck, it'll never happen". It's worth trying though, so that's what I'm going to do. Now on the DD-293 form, it says to request the type of discharge you want for upgrade. I obviously can't change it to honorable, but I can change it to either General or Uncharacterized discharge. Now, which one looks better on paper when trying to apply to a job? I don't really care about VA benefits, I just care about getting hired after I'm done with college. Also inb4 "stupid boot".
Thanks my dudes.
>>
Also no, not in the Air Force.
>>
File: virgin delivery man.jpg (374KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
virgin delivery man.jpg
374KB, 1024x678px
>>33671870

stupid boot

it don't matter my man, as long as you got that degree they will look past that shit, just be up front with an employer that is interviewing you when they ask you about what happend and don't appear to be all smug and 'dindunuffin' about it

almost happend to me too, apparently they don't do traditional army punishments anymore that aren't 'politically correct' such as low-crawling 300 meters across a parking lot while drunk until you puke it out

now they just discharge people
>>
>>33671965
It will if it involves working for the government. Especially police and firefighters.
>>
>>33671995
So you couldn't manage military and you think police or fire is a better option? You realize the academy for most police departments is harder than marine basic right? Or that your discipline issues are there until you unfuck yourself.
>>
Go for General
>>
>>33674285
>realize the academy for most police departments is harder than marine basic right?

No

Why are leo such wantabess?
>>
>>33674478
Lots of former mil who want to weedout the shitbags that basic missed in their last career
>>
>>33674285
Kek,
>"couldn't manage military".
>"Police academy harder than USMC bootcamp"
>Ignores the hundreds of fat out of shape cops
> Thinks that doing one mistake means you can't possibly recover
Stop sucking your own dick faggot, you know you're full of shit.
>>
>>33674478
Usually because many of those guys are the stereotypical kinds that wear molon labe shirts and have "don't thread on me" on their vehicle. We all know those types.
>>
>>33674293
Thanks my dude.
>>
>>33675042
Wow someone's butthurt. Sorry bud I did my time in the army and left for a cush gov job involving medicaid. Basic aint that hard and yes marines do it harder but most decent police academy programs can do way more to fuck with recruits than any base level dod training. Sucks you don't make any of the cuts but there are jobs everywhere if you plan and apply yourself
>>
>>33675044
Northeast area tends to avoid hiring those but the south is full of them. Not sure on the rest of the country
>>
>>33675044
I was taking a police exam for a big city. I saw a bunch of those t shirts and a few old school UFC tap out ones. Shit looked embarrassing.
>>
But you've earned a punishment

Why would you think you could change it
>>
>>33671870
>which one looks better on paper when trying to apply to a job?

You don't need to show your discharge papers to employers, if you want to reenlist the go for unchraracterized
>>
>>33675148
>Get drunk at the wrong time (not DUI)
>Lose ability to buy guns
>Lose ability to vote
>Can no longer get not shit job
Seems reasonable. Bootlicker.
>>
>>33675173
>being punished for fucking up isn't fair
>you don't agree to be held to UCMJ standards when you join
>I shouldn't be responsible for myself, I just shouldn't be punished
hello felon
>>
>>33675194
>Punishment yes
>Held to ucmj standards, also yes

My issue is with how it spills over to civvie life. This guy is legit getting punished harder than the average first time heroin offender or drunk driver. That's fucking bullshit. Also I've never even gotten a speeding ticket, faggot.
>>
>>33675103
Butthurt? Oh no, just pretty amused really.
Also give some examples of how the hard police academy is. So far you've been saying how tough they are, but have provided no examples, nor proof.
>>
>>33671870
You gotta fuck up hard to get a OTH.

I was NJPd twice and still got an honorable. Chesty puller did the same.
>>
>>33675248
Underage drinking at SOI.
>>
It's my understanding you have to show the punishment was unjust or the proceedings weren't carried out properly. Can you do that? What have you been told about how it works?

I wish you the best of luck.
>>
>>33675309
I've been out over 20 years so what is SOI? Training?
>>
>>33675234
Length of academy and exercise sessions is a good start. DOD caps the latter around 2-3 hours of continuous activity for entry training. As far as I know no academy has such a cap and any I have delt with have easily exceeded 6 hours within the first month for a single session. That said some training units exceed the limits anyway but typically they tend to be infantry. Next we can go to exposure to less than lethal chemical exposure. Most dod is CS gas only all police do oc cs and increasingly pepper balls and taser (not chemical but often in the same class). Finally unarmed combat training dod is a fucking worthless joke with combatives. Most agencies tend to mix judo or jujitsu (or other related methods) with old school boxing. There are other examples but I assume you can research as well
>>
>>33675341
School of Infantry.
>>
>>33675309
Nope. Busting a guy's head open in the barracks. While drinking. Got busy from Lance coolie to PFC.

Tell me something interesting and I'll tell you about my second NJP.
>>
>>33674285
>You realize the academy for most police departments is harder than marine basic right?

holy shit kys. i was army, and the pt test for the army was literally twice as long or needed twice as many reps as the standard LEO tests. the marines have even fucking more shit than the army.

why are cops such fuckin shitbag liars?
>>
>>33675349
That sounds like some cool training. It's more advanced than something you'd learn at bootcamp for sure. But just because it's more advanced doesn't mean it's nearly impossible. Earlier you made police training sound like fucking Navy SEAL training.
>>
>>33675349
>i was a massive pog and being a cop is hard
ftfy faggot
>>
>>33675248
War time vs peace time. While I was a MP I started out with arresting and processing every fuckup as the worst they would get was some extra pt unless they deserve the weenie. Near the end of my contract you had to be absolute scum for me to not give you a stern warning and/or a ride home with how jag got to fucking everyone just to get numbers down
>>
>>33675352
OK, thanks. So it's basically underage drinking in AIT?

That was an Article 15 in my time, maybe a recycle,,,damn I was OSUT so we never had access to alcohol but Airborne school saw somebody get recycled for underage drinking and a couple of SEALS got recycled for alcohol in the barracks.

I'm surprised they didn't ELS him (Entry Level Separation) but OTH for underage drinking makes me wonder of there's more to the story, like what did he do while drinking?

OP - can you request ELS? I think you have to have less than 6 months and it's the equivalent of not serving at all.
>>
>>33675364
He's probably one of those super Moto guys that have cadences on their phone whenever they go running, high and tight haircut, gets angry if someone has their hands in their pockets, and beats his wife. Those guys always lie and exaggerate.
>>
>>33675390
I am sure there is more to the story as els is used for far worse tjan this
>>
>>33675395
Far far from it its less that police academy is super hard and more that basic (including osut) is extremely easy and a mil washout really has no hope for anything besides prison/mental hospital guard
>>
>>33675386
You're still a marine cop. Whatever you do.
>>
>>33675390
There really isn't more to the story, it was at night in the barracks, and one of the NCOs caught me and 2 other guys drinking behind the racks. It was the biggest ass chewing I have ever seen. Anyways I eventually got sent to Lima company in the separation platoon and in 20 days got discharged. On the 293 form I could apply for Uncharacterized discharge, which is like ELS I believe. But even though it's like so never served with an ELS, the police can still search it up in a background check.
>>
>>33674285
>implying low-level beat cops dont make like 3x more than low level infantry
>>
>>33675426
>drink under an arbitrary age
>get fucked for life
land of the "free"
>>
>>33675432
Actually they don't. Unless you are a decorated detective. Kind of like school teachers.
>>
>>33675422
Army and laughing in dd 214. Jokes aside unless we start shit in Korea there will be q fuckening at all levels to encourage early retirement much like the Clinton years
>>
>>33675448
Police salary varies a lot. Some can make as low as 30k, while cops in big cities can make 53k after their probation period and the number can keep rising.
>>
>>33675432
Varies by city but a smart e4 can out earn a 74k nyc beat cop without trying
>>
>>33675426
Seems like it might fall under unjust or excessive punishment to me. I saw guys get chaptered for far worse who got General discharges including arrests and domestic violence. Long time ago though. Have you spoken to a lawyer who deals with military proceedings? If so, what did they say?
>>
>>33675419
while i agree that washouts are cancer, your perception of how difficult police academy is fucking loony toons.

dude they have nothing on the military, stop trying to sell shit like its some "odst" training bullshit, they are just cops.
>>
>>33675461
thats it?

fuck that shit.
>>
>>33675450
I have a DD 214 as well. You smug ass.
>>33675461
In LA they start at 60,000. I should know, they tried to recruit me.
>>
>>33675448
This is the HPD pay rate. You can find it on their website. It's waaay higher than other police departments.
>>
>>33675492
For HPD, their pay is pretty good. Look at the image related of the other post.
>>
>>33675467
Assuming presented info is accurate and effectively complete this would be the best option short of involvement of your congressman depending on state and relationship
>>
>>33675461
My father was a Boston cop and his base pay after 32 years was about $55,000. He died in 2006 so not sure what it is now. He worked a lot of OT and details because $55,000 in a city like Boston isn't jack shit.
>>
>>33675464
how?
>>
>>33675467
I haven't spoken to a lawyer. I'm gonna go to the VA and ask a representative what I can do to help my request to upgrade my discharge.
>>
>>33675478
Where did I suggest anything of the sort? And considering how many mil types wash out in academy I do stand by it being harder than basic. Elite not at all just higher
>>
>>33675516
yea but what city/state is that in, and not to mention being a cop isnt exactly safe/fun/incredibly rewarding.

you basically deal with the scum of society all day and night, no one appreciates you, no one is ever happy to see you, people act like fucking autismos if you even speak to them.

AM I BEING DETAINED?!?!?! I KNOW MY RIGHTS PIG!!!!

not worth it. i mean if you guys cant go to college or a trade or something, then all power to you, its decent money, just not decent for what you have to deal with.

i turn wrenches on flying machines for rich people. the office flips shit if you even so much as swear.

salaries average from 55k starting to 150k on some foreign/gov contract gigs, and im not being shot at or having to deal with meth heads.
>>
as other posters said its extremely department and city dependent. NYC cops start off like 25k while NJ state troopers start at like 80k If I remember. of course there are perks like professional courtesy.
>>
>>33675549
That's in Houston, Texas. Not Ferguson or dindu nuffin Detroit.
>>
>>33675492
That is a good range of the average yeah. Some areas go higher (northeast with money) some areas go lower (dirt farm territory) shit job unless you like doing it. Personally I just got tired of dealing with assholes most of the time and didn't want to become more of one myself
>>
File: 1485749006509.gif (1MB, 245x200px)
1485749006509.gif
1MB, 245x200px
>>33675540
hahahaha your so full of shit, i could pass litterally every police academy physical course hungover WITH my bad back and still come out on top. its HALF the army APFT. suck my dick civi larper.
>>
>>33675506
Smug..... meh more just happy to be out and doing something useful for a change
>>
>>33675539
Good idea but remember the VA represents the government, not the veteran. Don't trust them.

You might have better luck with veteran's orgs or if your state has their own "Dept. of Veterans Affairs". Best of luck.
>>
>>33675560
fuck texas.
but thats actually not bad.
but fuck texas.

>>33675567
its like if i paid someone to let me piss on them every day.

depending on how fancy the place i pee on them, the more they get paid.

sure you make money, but its not worth it to get pissed on every day.
>>
>>33675529
Easy don't have bills and don't waste your money on stupid shit. Do your 20 in barracks save all pay keep a maxed roth ira use roth tsp and invest the rest in mutual funds. Then get out at 38-44 with a pension buy some land and figure out what you want to do. Just do not fuck or marry anyone within 70 miles of a base or you will see MPs or child support in your future
>>
File: 1458055999641.jpg (15KB, 395x395px)
1458055999641.jpg
15KB, 395x395px
>>33671870
you couldn't hold it together long enough to get out of training? fucking wow.

i spent almost a year in training and then got sent to korea under General order numero uno, and spent another fucking 3 months unable to touch fucking booze.

you seriously couldn't control your shit for just a little bit? you are the reason my army has fallen to shit. suffer, you fucking shitbag.
>>
>>33675539
Lawyers also give free consultations...if you're low on $$ might be a good idea to take advantage of the free consult just to see what they say. Just make sure it's one who deals with military stuff.
>>
>>33675572
How to spot a washout the post have fun with the va treating you right
>>
File: niggaonthephone.png (55KB, 198x233px) Image search: [Google]
niggaonthephone.png
55KB, 198x233px
>>33671870
>alcohol related

Care to explain?
>>
>>33675582
So much this also watch some of the commie states va reps not so much in this case but NEVER let ptsd get involved in NY unless you are fucked anyway
>>
>>33675590
Pretty much re pissed on. Use the police skills to investigate medical fraud and save your state millions a year
>>
>>33675341
>I've been out over 20 years
25 years here.

i use to see all the worthless brokedicks getting honorable discharges, and wondered how many till my honorable discharge became shit.
seems that they finally tightened up some.
>>
Literally just dont ever tell anybody you were in service like every other general discharge person does.
>>
>>33675173
Something incredibly easy not to fuck up, yet you fucked it up.

What does that say about you
>>
>>33675728
I can't do that because of background checks.
>>
>>33675703
Actually now that I think about it, it has been 25 years. Feb 1992.
>>
File: Tardpage.png (61KB, 957x569px)
Tardpage.png
61KB, 957x569px
>>33671870
Formerly contracted officer in the Army, contract terminated "for the good of the service." Basically, it doesn't fuck me, it might be a problem if ever to get a clearance again or work for the government. I don't know and I don't care. I work in finance now.

Here's my advice. Before you even dick around petitioning anything, call your House rep and your state senators. Those worthless peons work for you, make them. You'll probably have to call a couple times, and it'll take a little while to get the balls rolling, but don't underestimate their power. The Pentagon has to go through them to get funding. They have to go through you to get elected. The Pentagon has incentive to keep them happy, they have incentive to keep you happy.

Just tell your story. Say you fucked up, but you want another chance to be of service to your country in another capacity. Bring up stories of guys doing worse and getting less. Rehearse this all a couple times.

Also, consider calling one your rep's local offices and seeing if you can set up a face-to-face meeting. You'll get basically 15-20 minutes, but if you have a good story and you've rehearsed it, you should be good. This is easier than you think.

Believe me, your Congressman/Senator has dealt with more stupid and inconsequential shit than your fuck up as an 18-year old. They might even be relieved to help someone who actually deserves it.

Pic related
>>
>>33676075
Thank you for that. I will definitely call my representatives now and try to schedule a meeting.
>>
>>33676121
Good luck and godspeed, OP. Might be a while before you can get a meeting, and be prepared to get your schedule dicked around, but a Congressman calling the VA or wherever to expect your application will probably help your cause some. The important part is to ask them what you should do, before you do it. They'll have an aide look into it, then they'll tell you on to proceed. If they don't tell you what they're going to do at that point to help your cause, be upfront and ask.
>>
>>33676193
Will I have to get the congressman to sign my 293 form or provide remarks on my character?
>>
>>33676220
No fucking clue, man. My situation was very much a one-off and I never tried to get it unfucked. I just took that big green Army dick and said I am out. Also, if I am being perfectly honest, I had it coming and could have got it a lot worse.

However, if I was going to fight it, I would have leaned on my Congressman to do it. What you're trying to do is significantly easier, I would imagine. You're just trying to get some arbitrary bureaucratic category switched to another arbitrary bureaucratic category. You know how they say it isn't "an act of Congress," well, defense budgets are. As long as you can provide them some reason to help you, like being free of felony convictions, you shouldn't have a problem.
>>
>>33676339
Very true, thanks again. I will definitely try calling them ASAP to set up an appointment.
>>
>>33675138
I know alot of cops. It's unfortunate how many retarded meatheads they let in.
>>
>>33676727
Lot of departments north of Baltimore are starting to require 4 year degrees or 60 credits with military or related field experience. And naturally no improvement in pay, job security, or work conditions. Not expecting Philadelphia Camden or similar cities go this route bit it is mostly the case for the various state police.
>>
>>33677021
Most police departments require 48 credit hours.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.