[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shooting lithium batteries for fun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 1492192973402.png (155KB, 324x383px) Image search: [Google]
1492192973402.png
155KB, 324x383px
I have 4 old lythium batteries that I plan on shooting with a pellet gun. Should I charge them first? What are some good ideas to make it fun? Maybe bathe them in gasoline for a few hours?
>>
File: 1056423230495056.webm (731KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1056423230495056.webm
731KB, 426x240px
yes
charge them first
>>
>>33671844
That is cool as shit, I'm going to have a bad time looking for their chargers since they are all from different old cameras.
>>
>>33671844
what the fuck, lythium batteries fucking napalm if punctured?
>>
>>33671863
buy a universal battery charger.
set you back $50 but it'll work on anything, so you can do this on the regular.
>>
>>33671883
Lithium explodes when exposed to air. This is common knowledge and is stated on every warning label that's present on everything that uses lithium batteries.
>>
>>33671844
That's metal.
>>
>>33671892
I'm in University in a third world country, $50 is literally more than what I have currently.
>>
>>33671959
ask /g/ how to charge em.
i don't know shit about electronics dood
>>
>>33671926
Lithium metal
>>
>>33671975
So you were guessing I should charge them first? Also, I'm going to spend some time but not enough to be worth it to build a new one myself. Even worse, build something while being guided by someone on 4chan.
>>
File: experimenting.jpg (111KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
experimenting.jpg
111KB, 990x660px
>>33671844
FUCK YEAH
>>
Why does the lithium need to be charged for it to explode? I would think the element reacts either way.
>>
>>33672145
it doesn't, lithium reacts with the air, electricity is a nonfactor.
>>
Apparently, Lithium explodes when in contact with water. I'm going to find a way to make it get shot and still be underwater, provocating an explosion. Will post a video after I'm done, probably in 15 hours or more.
>>
>>33671787
Eat them and then shoot them as they fall out of your ass
>>
>>33672194
Or, you could stand it up in front of some decent body of water, shoot it, and let the battery fly back into it
>>
>>33671898
It's not the air that is doing it.
Lithium in batteries is separated into two layers with different polarity. If you pierce it with metal sharp, it shorts out and dumps all of it's current across the lithium strips with no limiting resistance. That heats lithium until it starts burning, now reacting with air.
>>
>>33672468
>It's not the air that is doing it.
>now reacting with air.
You're not shitposting, it's your hands doing it.
>>
DON'T ,it will heavily pollute the environment
>>
>>33672845
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
To be honest, I read about it.
It deals class 1 damage, meaning it doesn't really matter and doesn't deal any significant damage, even in rivers, lakes or in the ocean.
>>
>>33672468
It literally is the air that is doing it.

Lithium is one of the Alkali metals. It is SUPER reactive. Also, the alkali metals are very homogeneous in their properties.
>>
>>33671787
just put it in water and shoot it then
>>
File: a face flustered and thankful.png (210KB, 338x525px) Image search: [Google]
a face flustered and thankful.png
210KB, 338x525px
>>33671844
Fuck yeah, I was searching for new ways to start arson in ways that look accidental and now you tell me I can just crack open the battery of a camera?
>>
I shot all 4 of them. None of them exploded. It pierced all but one of them, which I had to manually crack open. When I put it in water, they let out a few bubbles for more than 5 minutes non stop. I'm considering deleting the video out of shame.
>>
>>33671787
Why the fuck is lithium spelled right in the subject but not the body?
>>
>>33676440
My bad, I didn't realize it.
>>
>>33671844
Horey shit
>>
>>33672228
This is always the answer
>>
>>33672468
>>33671898
>>33671883
Actually, you're all wrong.

While lithium is super reactive, what's really responsible for most of the light show is the electrolyte burning off, as the lithium is in such low quantities (and stabilized in a different compound) that it wouldn't be much of a threat.
>>
>>33677261
Yeah, no.
The electrode burns plenty fine m8
>>
>>33672468
This guy got it.

OP, there's some nasty fluorides in the electrolyte, do it outside and don't breathe the fumes.
>>
>>33671844
>>33671883
>>33671898
>>33677261
>tfw dissecated an AA battery with my hands once
Why didn't I burn then
>>
>>33676426
Were they cylindrical (Li-ion) or rectangular in a silver package (LiPo?)

To answer other questions:
Yes, in order for you to get a violent reaction they need to be charged.
The majority of the energy comes from the energy stored in the material of the battery when charged, not from the materials directly (chemical bonds).
As another anon said, when you puncture the battery the positively and negatively charged sides contact and the electrical energy stored gets dumped into heat as fast as the material of the battery can possibly conduct it.There are secondary (chemical) reactions caused as a result of this current dump, and the products range from hydrogen to more nasty things depending on the specific battery. Stay away from the fumes.
>>
>>33681075
The one in the gif is a lithium battery. Most AA's are alkaline.
>>
>>33675151
A pierced battery tossed in a house sure looks accidental.
>>
>>33671959
>I'm in University in a third world country, $50 is literally more than what I have currently.
They're not $50 in third world countries. I'm in China and they're RMB25, about $5.

They're really simple devices, not expensive. Basically just a regular charger with adjustable electrodes so that they can move to fit any battery.
>>
>>33683346
>A pierced battery tossed in a house sure looks accidental.
If it's in a device it will look fine, or maybe lying in a draw with a few coins or something that might conceivably cause a short.

When they burn/explode, they tend to rupture anyway, so long as the puncture isn't too bad, it won't be obvious whether it was punctured inwards or ruptured outwards as in both cases, it will rupture outwards anyway.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.