[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has any country ever tested an ICBM, by that I mean fired one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: 1356462041759.gif (2MB, 370x281px) Image search: [Google]
1356462041759.gif
2MB, 370x281px
Has any country ever tested an ICBM, by that I mean fired one from a silo and had it detonate thousands of miles away?
>>
>>33668660
I am also interdasted
>>
File: NAP VIOLATED.jpg (39KB, 500x841px) Image search: [Google]
NAP VIOLATED.jpg
39KB, 500x841px
>>33668660
I know ICBM's have been tested at range without warheads, but i am curious as well, decent thread OP. Bumping.
>>
>>33668660
made me lol out loud
>>
Live in L.A. and there have been a few rocket launches with conventional warheads I've seen. These things are inhumanly large. Fill the sky with a green glow.
>>
>>33668660
probably
>>
File: Peacekeeper MIRVs.jpg (761KB, 3000x2272px) Image search: [Google]
Peacekeeper MIRVs.jpg
761KB, 3000x2272px
You mean, as in an ICBM with a nuclear payload? Because we test shoot the missiles all the time.
>>
>>33668758
>You mean, as in an ICBM with a nuclear payload?

yes has the whole system ever been tested, an ICBM fired long range with a nuke warhead payload detonated

if not the whole system has never been tested, that would be kind of a weird situation
>>
>>33668722
>I know ICBM's have been tested at range without warheads

yeah i know they do this a lot without a warhead but I have never heard of a full test with the nuke going off
>>
File: FrigateBird_nuke.jpg (126KB, 1024x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FrigateBird_nuke.jpg
126KB, 1024x1200px
>>33668795
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_weapons_tests#Tests_of_live_warheads_on_rockets

tl;dr No, not really.
>>
>>33668839

interesting find, thanks
>>
>>33668660
The fuck is going on in that video? Did the cop throw a concussion grenade when he meant to use a flashbang?
>>
>>33668839

The 1957 test Plumbbob/John fired a small yield nuclear weapon on a Genie air-to-air rocket from a jet fighter.

I want to see video of this
>>
>>33668934
>The 1957 test Plumbbob/John fired a small yield nuclear weapon on a Genie air-to-air rocket from a jet fighter.
>I want to see video of this

wow

crazy fuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZ7FQHTaR4
>>
>>33668880
I think they stormed into a booby trapped house.
>>
>>33668984
Goodness, it sounds like the narrator blew a load of his own when that nuke went off.
>>
>>33668991
>booby trapping a house so that it blows you up as well

k as fuck
>>
>>33668984
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZ7FQHTaR4 [Embed]

amazing video

>The John shot on July 19, 1957 was the only test of the Air Force's AIR-2 Genie missile with a nuclear warhead.[3] It was fired from an F-89 Scorpion fighter over Yucca Flats at the NNSS. On the ground, the Air Force carried out a public relations event by having five Air Force officers and a photographer stand under ground zero of the blast, which took place at between 18,500 and 20,000 feet altitude, with the idea of demonstrating the possibility of the use of the weapon over civilian populations without ill effects.
>>
>>33668984
didn't they die from extreme radiation exposure? LOL
>>
>>33669104
Nukes don't kill you from radiation. They're bombs, not ray guns.
>>
>>33669104
Gamma and neutron doses received by observers on the ground were negligible.
>>
It was done once. For FRIGATE BIRD, a submarine launched a Polaris missile with a live warhead. It worked.
>>
>>33668839
>No, not really.
Yes they have. A Polaris.
>>
>>33669527
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_weapons_tests
>Shot Frigate Bird of Operation Dominic on 6 May 1962, was the only U.S. test of an operational ballistic missile with a live nuclear warhead (yield of 600 kilotons), at Kiritimati (formerly Christmas Island) in the Pacific. In general, missile systems were tested without live warheads and warheads were tested separately for safety concerns. In the early 1960s there were mounting questions about how the systems would behave under combat conditions (when they were "mated", in military parlance), and this test was meant to dispel these concerns. However, the warhead had to be somewhat modified before its use, and the missile was only a SLBM (and not an ICBM), so by itself it did not satisfy all concerns.
>the missile was only a SLBM (and not an ICBM)
>not an ICBM
>not
>an
>ICBM
>>
>>33669104

The radiation/fallout from nukes is an effect of the explosion sucking up a ton of dust/vaporized debris and irradiating that, that's the stuff that spreads and makes people sick for a long time after. Nukes high in the atmosphere/vacuum only release an Burst of radiation and warheads can be tailored to minimize/maximize this. That burst of radiation can kill you or hurt you too, but it is is made up of photons at damaging wavelengths whereas fallout is dirt and shit that was made radioactive so it releases radiation of its own for a long time.
>>
File: Trident_II.jpg (2MB, 2486x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Trident_II.jpg
2MB, 2486x3000px
>>33669598
>SLBM (and not an ICBM

a missile can be both
>>
>>33668660
SOURCE FOR VIDEO!
>>
>>33668660
ICBM? No. Ballistic missiles of shorter range, yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCcaoO3k9Y
>>
>>33668660
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDL_pIPScSI

Minuteman III launched from Vandenberg AFB in California with MIRV impact on Illegini Island in Kwajalien Atoll.

Interesting bits are from 5:30 - 6:25 of the video showing MIRV impact on the island and accuracy.
>>
File: photo.jpg (529KB, 968x1296px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
529KB, 968x1296px
>>33668660
Yes. America.

Except instead of a warhead it was man, and instead of another country it was the god damned moon.
>>
>>33668984
>that narration
the absolute madman.
>>
>>33669143

So wait a minute the shitloads of radioactive debris kicked up in the air have literally no effect on people, plants, and animals, not to mention electronic equipment?
>>
>>33668984
>it worked
>hahaIT WORKED IT WORKED
that narrator man holy shit absolute madman
>>
>>33670026
>Yes. America.
>Except instead of a warhead it was man, and instead of another country it was the god damned moon.
anon plz
>>
>>33670422
i mean yeah the dirt does, but that's cuz you're eating, drinking, breathing, and shitting it out, but a single burst from a relatively long distance where the waves last for about a second isn't going to do much
>>
Has the USA ever fired one out of a silo?
>>
>>33673011
>has the USA ever spend a billion dollars to prove the world that their great magic everyone is afraid of doesn't work?
>>
>>33668660
Twice, or once depending on how autistic you want to be about the definition of ICBM.

The Chinese tested a live ICBM with a nuclear warhead to after the US kept saying that they could not do it.

The US live-fired an SLBM once because why not.
>>
>>33673181
When did china do it and why didn't the USA raise hell?
>>
>>33669066
>not being informed beforehand so you can booby trap your house and get the fuck out before the raid even starts.
It's like you want to be taken alive and spend 60 years in a corporate gulag, or something.
>>
>>33673345
The US kinda just ignored it due to the fact the only reason they did it was because we kept on saying that the did not have the ability to.

>China: We have tested a nuke!
>US: That's nice, but you don't have a delivery system.
>China: We have tested an ICBM!
>US That's nice, but you have not proven you can fit a nuke on it.
>China: Fuck you we just launched a nuclear armed ICBM to prove a point!.
>US: Who could have seen that one coming?
>>
>>33673764

where did they detonate it?

i didn't think anyone did atmospheric tests anymore
>>
>>33669881
All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.
>>
>>33673764

when was this
>>
File: WRONG.png (51KB, 140x157px) Image search: [Google]
WRONG.png
51KB, 140x157px
>>33674100
>>
>>33669104
No. The initial gamma ray pulse from the detonation of a conventional fission bomb is relatively small. The issue is bombs detonated close to the ground vaporize and irradiate literally tons of dirt, which then gets blown on the wind and breathed in by unsuspecting bystanders. This fallout is what does the most radiation damage. A bomb detonated high in the air wouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>33673050
>nukes don't work
>>
>>33674335
1/10 bait for making me response

Idiot. L2ten-year-oldMath
>>
>>33670026
A gun in the sink would've made this perfect.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.