[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A pistol for a 70+ year old with arthritis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: question.jpg (111KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
111KB, 500x500px
I have a friend who is a tiny 75lb 70+ year old woman whom i wish to buy a gun for. She is not senile, inactive or stupid. She is sharper mentally than almost anyone i know. She runs 3 hotels full time while managing a paralyzed adult son. She isn't senile nor is she a wimp, i am 50% certain she used to run a whore house.

However her purse gun is a 50 year old .38 police special which she likes because her dead second husband gave it to her and it works, I'm sure she knows how to use it but given her age and physical condition she can barely lift it. If she fires it she might be injured or more importantly not be able to fire a second time.

I don't want her to have a self defense gun that knocks her on her ass and hurts her, i want her to have something that she can empty the magazine into someone who pisses her off.

A .22 isn't going to cut it, i'm thinking some sort of tiny .25 semi auto maybe? Most of those guns are cheap crap that are totally unacceptable, which ones aren't crap? 32 APC would work as long as the pistol was less than 1 lb in weight and was reliable enough to be left in a purse for half a decade with no maintence.
>>
gyrojet
>>
you are silly ....
just get lighter recoiling ammo. If anything she needs a harder trigger pull so she doesn't cylinder dump.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2jvHc_MIBY

OR RUGER LCR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmpQqtBAVc
>>
>>33661089
how about a .22LR ?
>>
>>33661151
seconding this. a 38 revolver is already a great tool for elderly shooters. Just get lighter loaded ammo.
>>
>>33661158
Her holding a gun isn't the problem, she could be holding a .50 Desert Eagle or a .454 Casul revolver in her purse and it would be no problem with her pointing it at someone.

Her firing it is the problem.

>>33661158
That in .32 might work, if the hammer draw is light it might be acceptable. She literally has arthritis in every finger and part of her body.

She is 70+ years old, has arthritis and uses plastic braces on her arms and legs. She can shoot but recoil is a major issue. She needs a gun that can kill someone AND can shoot a second person as well.

The problem is her tiny fragile hands, if there was a 1/2 sized Glock chambered in .25 APC or.32 APC i would buy it in a moment for her.
>>
File: beretta_tomcat_tipup31.jpg (49KB, 368x325px) Image search: [Google]
beretta_tomcat_tipup31.jpg
49KB, 368x325px
>>33661089
Beretta .32 ACP Tomcat

It's light, it's got a tip up barrel so she can put a round in directly and not have to mess around with opening the chamber (still an option though, but her 70 year old hands will thank her for not having to), so she can carry it with one in the chamber with the safety on

It's fantastically reliable

It's metal so its recoil is low

It's got everything you need:
>Tip-up barrel is elderly friendly
>.32
>recoil is mitigated by metal frame
>still pretty light

>comes in .25 as well if you really want it, but I'd suggest the .32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGkbnV_OyY0
>>
>>33661292
>>33661335
Plus forgot to mention controls are really easy so she won't have much training to do stepping up from the revolver

It's just put magazine in, put round directly in chamber OR rack slide (your choice), put safety on, forget about it

you could leave hammer up or hammer down, depending on how strong her trigger finger is. It's a double action/single action gun, so if that DA pull is too much you can have the hammer cocked as well
>>
Full stop, P250

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/changing-face-first-time-gun-buyer/
>>
>>33661089
What's your budget? If decent I would say an FN Five-Seven. If cheap I would say a Kel-tec PMR-30 with the hottest loads you can find.
>>
>>33661151
>>33661206
She can fire her .38 a few times without breaking her wrists, that isn't the issue. If she uses it on a regular basis I.E enough to get her accuracy back it will, shatter her wrists and maybe her shoulders. She is over 70 years old and has plastic braces keeping her arms and legs from collapsing.

She wants to practice shooting on a regular basis, she wants to be proficient with her pistol.

I want her to have a pistol she can use and practice with. It has to have low recoil, low weight but reasonable damage.

I am aware that she could probably handle a basic light weight AR-15/M16, i am not going to teach a 70 year old that unless as a last resort.
>>
>>33661335
also under a pound
>>
>>33661335
This might work. Actually it seems damn near perfect, its loading is less complicated and has less felt recoil than a police .38.

>>33661360
Anything she wants up to around $500 or even $750 if it is a good buy for her, you find yourself doing weird mental math when it comes to buying a gun for a 70+ year old woman who is more or less your boss.

The problem is she has tiny hands, weighs 75 lbs and is supported by a plastic exoskeleton like a polio victim. Also she has arthritis, is 4 feet tall and is 70+ years old.

A PMR-30 would be perfect but she can't fit her hands around it. It's a impossible option given her age and size.

What if i just buy her half a dozen Saturday night specials (raven arms .32 autos, .22 revolvers, vintage derringers, ect) and put them in her purse? Instead of buying her a gun that i think she can handle due to it's weight, i instead buy her guns by the weight of the guns. She can handle about 10 lbs of guns.

Forget a specific gun, i just need to turn her purse intro a magic murder bag. She already has at least one gun, a few more turns her into Punishers grandmother.

Thanks /k/, i just learned how to turn a 70+ year old woman into a war machine.
>>
File: Betty-White-Gun[1].jpg (47KB, 559x299px) Image search: [Google]
Betty-White-Gun[1].jpg
47KB, 559x299px
>>33661368
>not wanting a battlegrandma for SHTF
>>
>>33661464
$800 could get her a Colt 1903 in .32 ACP. I can't imagine that kicking too hard.
>>
>>33661464
>supported by a plastic exoskeleton like a polio victim

Correction: Not 'like a polio victim' She actually is a polio victim, she is that old.
>>
>>33661472
Trust me, i've thought of that. If only i was 30 years older or her 30 years younger.

>>33661479
That might work pretty well and not break the bank, she fired my Chinese Type 54 TT-33 rip off without any trouble besides it being too loud and kicking a bit, a 1903 in .32 APC might work. If she used two hands it would work.

I'll still think of filling her purse with half a dozen small caliber Saturday night specials. If your beloved 70 year old grandma doesn't have at least 6 guns in her purse do you really love her?

The answer is no.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>33661346
Thanks, the Beretta .32 ACP Tomcat will be on the top of my list of guns to buy her. I think i might have fired one of those one or twice. The loading is kinda weird but simple.
>>
File: clip+(2017-04-16+at+02.31.35).png (1010KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2017-04-16+at+02.31.35).png
1010KB, 1280x720px
>>33661089
>A .22 isn't going to cut it, i'm thinking some sort of tiny .25 semi auto maybe? Most of those guns are cheap crap that are totally unacceptable, which ones aren't crap? 32 APC would work as long as the pistol was less than 1 lb in weight and was reliable enough to be left in a purse for half a decade with no maintence.

.25 and .32 statistically fail to put people on their ass more than .22, use high quality .22 and she'll be on her way to putting someone down with eye, nose, throat, heart, aorta, and sometimes liver shots, along with higher capacity than most .32s. Just have to drill into her to rack out dud rounds automatically.

A M&P22 Compact will be easy to shoot with no appreciable recoil, easy and quick to reload, and plenty deadly if you use CCI Velocitor.
>>
>>33661560

That statistic is a bit skewed because there's a ton more .22s out there, in addition to shootings with .22 rifles.

>>33661540

The Tomcat has issues with frames cracking rather quickly. Get a newer one or an INOX and hope for the best if you go that route. It's unfortunate because they've got a lot going for them. The Beretta 21a in .25ACP might be an ok option. 8+1 and low recoil and still retains the tipup barrel as the Tomcat without the frame cracking issue.
>>
>>33661593
There are more .22s, but that statistic was compiled only with .22LR handgun shootings.
>>
>>33661560
if i give her a .22 i'll use .22 Aguila SSS rounds, they will put some Pompf into her pistol.

It's a 70 year old woman with plastic joints, i'm not looking for Seal team 6 quality here, i'm looking for what a 70 year old woman would use to kill someone who pissed her off..
>>
>>33661560
>>33661614
Even with just handguns, there are a lot more .22LR handguns on the market than .25 ACP handguns.

>>33661540
I'm no expert, but .25 and .22LR have very similar velocities out of a pocket pistol length barrel (bobcat @ 2.25", baby browning, etc.) .25 ACP has a marginally larger bullet. Keep in mind .25 ACP is usually measured out of a pocket pistol, and .22 LR out of rifles.

.25 ACP does have a centerfire primer, however. .22LR has come a long way, but centerfire is still more reliable than rimfire. You're already coming down a big way from light .38s, so you may want to stack the odds however you can. If you feel the need, I've heard of people handloading .25 ACP between 1000-1300 fps. Dunno what that'll do to your gun, but it's a point of consideration. Probably be easier just to pick a bigger cartridge at that point.

That said, .22LR is a LOT cheaper. To give you some numbers, I'm seeing Federal Automatch .22LR at .05 cents per round, and Prvi Partizan 50gr FMJ .25 ACP at .23 cents per round. You can start getting into Eley and Lapua .22LR match rounds for that.

Really, they're about the same, only .22 is a lot cheaper (desu probably reliable enough with good ammo - CCI and up) but ultimately the edge in reliability goes to .25 ACP because of the centerfire primer.

Alternatively, in revolvers - .22 WMR, .32 long, .32 H&R Mag.
In automatics - .22LR, .25 ACP, .32 ACP, .380 ACP

Mid-to-full size handguns will help reduce recoil from .32 and .380 considerably, but if your grandmother has a hard time holding up a snubnose, she may have problems with a 20-24+ ounce automatic. You could also see if .38s in the lightest load you can find will work.

Whatever you go with I'd take her to the range and have her rent out a gun similar to what you're interested in. Plus the usual disclaimer - get the most firepower you can comfortably control and put up with, especially in the tiny calibers.

But, do your own research and find what works for you.
>>
File: xa.jpg (6KB, 138x225px) Image search: [Google]
xa.jpg
6KB, 138x225px
>>33661853
And especially with the small calibers, you may want to experiment with a different target priority.

Also, friend* not grandmother.
>>
>>33661089
>25 semi auto maybe?

if you can find a beretta 25 they are fairly good

but the problem is practice too many rounds and those little guns just wear out

plenty of top quality 32 do internet search for - pocket pistol - lots of websites

check her finger strength - a 15lb DAO trigger requires lots of pulling power
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.