[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of professional education do officers get? In other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: p052814ps-0290.jpg (250KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
p052814ps-0290.jpg
250KB, 1100x733px
What kind of professional education do officers get? In other words, if I wanted to emulate an officer candidate for fun, what would I be studying? What books would I read?
>>
In my experience, I think the only education they get is in underwater basketweaving.
>>
>>33660913
Can confirm
>>
Straya
ADFA
90% do a Bachelor of Arts in Military History
>So basically theyve read some books about 18th Century vonClauswitz and other worthless crap the same as the Doyouwantfrieswiththat? meme
The other 10% do regular STEM Engineering and Aeronautics degrees
>>
>>33661239
Huh. Military Academies are basically just state-funded liberal arts colleges.
>>
>>33661246
Yup, they just want you to have the degree, they don't give a fuck what it's in. It's literally a hold over from the, "officers are aristocracy," days. Take a degree in whatever you want, the academy or ROTC program you're in will teach you all the relevant military shit no matter what.
>>
it depends on the country but I had a basic training followed by military, maritime, and criminal law courses. Also concepts of leadership courses, military history, navigation and politics. All of that in theoretic and practical use. Also all officers here study for a Masters degree after first part of the officers course. Which is followed by a brach and function specific officers course and a specific system training for the plane/tank/ship you are on.

>>33660913
Officer here can confirm, very essential part of the officers course
>>
>>33661239
This guy is partially correct, but also a fuckwit.

All Army ADFA grads go on to RMC - there there learn platoon level operations in traditional offensive, defensive and asymmetric environments, along with non-combat training such as laws of armed conflict, soldier administration etc.
>>
>>33660902
16th Century Korean Poetry, definitely makes you qualified to lead.
>>
>>33660902
how to suck dicks
>>
>>33660902

just copy the west point curriculum

a muddle of introductory random topics taught by amateurish instructors without any attempt at depth or mastery
>>
Read Starship Troopers and then go get a degree in some sort of applied science or engineering. Watch Top Gun a few times and then learn how to make your clothes look super neat and clean and crisp. Boom. Officer.
>>
TIL either officers of /k/ dislike their eduction, or the only people who browse are NCOs and privates
>>
>>33666115
Or possibly officers in general are unqualified for their jobs and are extremely incompetent cunts who get pissy when they aren't treated like gods.
>>
>>33660913
Been to West Point. Their chem, calc, and stats are on fucking point. Dropped out in sophomore so can't comment further.
>>
File: 1480298703246.jpg (60KB, 500x643px) Image search: [Google]
1480298703246.jpg
60KB, 500x643px
>>33661344
>"officers are aristocracy,"
t. butthurt enlisted peon
>>
>>33666328
t. terminal lance salt because he's certain he's a good leader and someone else is responsible for him getting nowhere
>>
>>33660902
Just any degree man. Doesn't matter. If you are into a career though, you'd do well to do something like military history, international relations or business management.
>>
>>33666328
>abloo abloo I'm a dumbfuck E-3
>>
>>33666328
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KquFZYi6L0
>>
>>33660902
Any. I've had officers with music degree , phys ed degrees, sociology, history etc. As long a you have a degree from an accredited university. You are eligible for ocs.
>>
>>33660902

The service academies provide normal 4-year courses of study leading to a bachelors degree in whatever field you choose. There are some military science courses taken during the time there but the majority of training comes after graduation with assignment to a specialty field/branch.

For example, in the US Army a newly commissioned officer in the infantry branch would go on to complete Infantry Basic Officer Leader Course (IBOLC) and Ranger School. Additional schools may be attended based on their first unit assignment such as Mechanized Leader Course for those going to mechanized units, Stryker Leader Course for those going to Stryker units, etc. The majority of these schools are completed as an O-1 (2nd Lieutenant) or O-2 (1st Lieutenant) and int he first 4 years or so of their service.

By the time this officer has progressed to the rank of O-3 (Captain) he will complete additional courses such as the Captains Career Course and other staff assignment courses preparing for promotion to O-4 (Major).

Follow on schools for developing officers include US Army Command and General Staff College and the Army War College.
>>
>>33660902
It's more about the massive amounts of hazing and putting up with stupid bullshit in a high stress environment.

So unless you want to haze yourself with an axe handle and scream at yourself in the mirror you're not going to get the Texas A&M, West Point, Citadel, VMI, VTech experience.
>>
>>33661344
Honestly, if someone had a degree, why would they join the military? Just seems pointless unless their degree was literally fucking pointless like Liberal Arts or something.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.