[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: remington870wingmaster_shotgun.jpg (99KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
remington870wingmaster_shotgun.jpg
99KB, 600x450px
So I got an old Remington 870 wingmaster from my grandpa. It's a smoothbore and chambered for 2 3/4 shells. I'm still pretty new to guns so I'm not entirely sure what kind of loads I can put through it. I took it to a range and they said it doesn't have a choke however the barrel is tighter than most so I can't put slugs in it. Is there any truth behind this? Please help.
>>
>>33660192
You can shoot any shell marked 2 3/4" or shorter and you can shoot slugs.
>>
>>33660226
fpbp
/thread
>>
>>33660192
Is it Cyl. or Imp. Cyl? Either will let you shoot slugs and buckshot no problem.
>>
>>33660192
>>33660383
Even fixed full will be fine for slugs.

Any ammo is fine unless it specifically states on the box that it isn't safe to shoot through your barrel.
>>
>>33660226
check how old the shotgun is, some of them are designed only for lead shot, and there are some modern steel shot shells that will tear those apart.
>>
Thanks guys! I appreciate the quick replies.
My quess is that this guy who looked at my gun wasn't too knowledgeable to begin with. He put his grubby ass hands on my receiver and barrel and didn't wipe it down afterwards.
>>
>>33660560
Got any cases of that happening?

Ever?
>>
>>33660575

Not him, but he didn't say explode - he said tear up. He's right, steel shot will damage older barrels.
>>
>>33660820
I'd like to see pictures or any evidence of this happening ever.
>>
File: 4.jpg (430KB, 500x520px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
430KB, 500x520px
>>33660828
>Apparently, many people are. Steel shot certainly can damage forcing cones and chokes. In fact, it says so right on the box of most steel shotshell loads. It is hard to miss. You use steel shot at your own risk and while thicker plastic shot cups are designed to lessen or minimize the damage in modern shotshell barrels, they are not represented as guaranteed to do so and the shotshell manufacturers accept no responsibility for any damage to your barrel. The tell you this on every box, yet still some ask if steel can damage a shotgun barrel. Of course it can. If we don't understand the problems associated with steel, all we have to do is read Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 4th Ed., Chapter 20. It is common knowledge, unless you've never heard of Lyman Ballistic Laboratories.
>>
>>33661100
Thanks!
>>
>>33660561
how does not wiping off your gun after handling it have to do with gun knowledge? no shop is going to clean your gun for you after you bring it in to have them check it out. its not like you have to have it polished every second of the day or it will rust.
>>
>>33660459

I've heard some say that fixed full chokes are a no go for slugs and others say they are fine. I've also heard not to use rifles slugs in a full choke which didn't make any sense to me as it's a smoothbore.
>>
I guess I'll ask something similar too

I have a Browning BPS with an Improved Cylinder choke in right now, am I okay to shoot Slugs?

At what point would I not be okay to shoot slugs?
>>
>>33663297
yes, you can shoot slugs.
stop shooting slugs with a screw in full choke, and anything tighter either screw in or fixed.
>>
>>33660575
>>33660560
>some of them are designed only for lead shot

Steel shot stays in a shot cup util it exits the barrel. Don't use older steel shot loads with a choke, but other than that, you're good to go.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.