[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military re-enactment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_8583.jpg (211KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8583.jpg
211KB, 1024x768px
I am getting more and more interested in military re-enactment. I am looking at American Civil War and Roman. How are the communities? How much should I expect to spend to have a reasonable kit?
>>
>>33659197
pleb tier.

>not the crusades and the american revolution
>>
>>33659215
The crusaders offered little of interest outside of the crusader colonies and the destabilization of Byzantium. I'd rather get involved in things more quinticential to American history or greater Western Civilization.

Tl;Dr, if I wanna crusade I'd go to Seria or some dumb shit like that. Do the crusaders proud that way at least.
>>
>>33659197
I've tried replying 4 times, each with 3 pages of answers to you so I'll make this 5th one short. I'm a Roman reenactor. It rocks. We always get the girls and crowds at any event. We have tons of written records to go off of. Buts it's not american, without another Holyrood movie, our numbers are small, almost personal events for schools or multi age events. But we always draw the most attention. However were not Civil war or WW2, nothing recent, nothing American directly. So those will always dominate.
>>
>>33659197
The romans are pretty hardcore, you're looking at a couple grand to meet their standards. Civil War is so big that it would depend on the chapter, they range from walmart costume tier to next-level autism.
>>
>>33659537
Thanks! I really appreciate your trying to send more. Do you recommend a particular page to go to for finding local groups? I googled it and all the sites I find are basically just email lists. Kinda sketchy web sites too...

Also what country do you reenact in? I have been looking into going to Germany or Sweden recently to be closer my gf's family.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492315630868.jpg (72KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492315630868.jpg
72KB, 640x960px
>>33659537
Me again. Mimi fucking sucks with crashes. But here's pics.
>>
>>33659609
Now that is some fancy digs. Where did you get your lorica segmentata and galea?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492315614092.jpg (41KB, 665x499px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492315614092.jpg
41KB, 665x499px
>>33659537
>>33659597
Congratulations on the move! Germany has a massive group! And so does poland! And britain....and France....and Italy. If you're european, you can find tons of groups. I recommend joining legion xiiii on Facebook and Roman Army Talk. RAT has a lot of well known professors who are active novelists in the community and are experts. They can send you to a group better than I can. Many of then are just snobs when it comes to the subject. But speak to them! They can guide you. Most groups are on facebook, but some of them are really farby. But everyone's friendly.
>>
>>33659651
I had mine made by some guy in India who actually messed it up. But a few snips to cut extra plates off (he thought my torso was 27", not 17"!) And it looks just fine. About $230 with shipping from India. The helmet was $125 from depeeka. DO NOT GET THE "TROOPER" HELMET! It's depeekas stage stuff, not worth junk. Try legio xx.com. they have a "where to start page, even if it's a bit dated, it's accurate. My shield is custom painted and made from a professor in Maryland U.S. that was about $120, I lucked out on that.
>>
>>33659659
That is good to hear, that there are many resources in Europe! The move wouldn't be for a year or so but the well wishes are welcome. I suppose that just gives me time to save up money for this impending money sink.
>>
>>33659651
Another thing, underneath that plate armor is 100% natural linen and sheep wool (for shoulder pads) you will need that to prevent bruising your shoulders everyone you put the armor on. That was like $30 and a hour 2 of sewing. My sandles (caligae) were about $60 from depeeka.
>>
>>33659690
Is there a particular professor in Maryland to contact for these sorts of custom jobs? I live near Pax near John's Hopkins. Maybe I should look into some anthropologists there?
>>
>>33659697
It's about $2000 cheaper than ww2 or many of the other ages of reenactment. I did the math and that helped my decision making. However, being in europe, you have many expert blacksmiths who can do magnificent work for any era, medieval, ancients, or anything in between. But the experts on RAT can point you in a direction. Good luck, I hope you find a group. It's a really rewarding experience, and being in Europe you'll be spoiled in choices for whatever you decide. Just keep in mind, Germany and other countries due to terror attacks have pushed HUGE limitations of weapons. If it looks like a sword or axe, expect to get treated as if you're handling live munitions. Many of them have banned blades all together at events if you arnt part of the "elite" groups who donate $$$ to the local city. Sad really, because that's 90% of reenacting.
>>
>>33659730
He's part of a specific legion that were parnered with (Legion XX) but he doesn't do custom work normally. I kinda piggy backed off of his group. Try Soul of The Warrior . Com. It's an American run place for U.S shipping ,but it lists all accurate gear. As far as custom made stuff, speak to the group on RAT (Facebook and online) or join my group Legio XIIII on Facebook. We can point you to where you need to go.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.