[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

handgun cleaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

someone gave me a bersa 380 thunder. my first handgun. lately when i take it to the range it jams a couple times. no real trouble clearing it, but i've never cleaned it so i figure it's time. i youtube'd how to field strip it, so i got that part.

going to academy in a little bit. what should i buy to clean it /k/?
>>
>>33654657
>i've never cleaned it

Put it away and never touch a firearm again until you learn how they work and how to maintain them. Fucking idiot.
>>
Stick the firing pin into your peehole to clean that.
>>
What kind of jam, FTE, FTF, Strawberry?
>>
.380/9mm Hoppe's Cleaning Kit.
if they dont have just that caliber, you can either piece a kit together or buy a nice multi caliber kit
>>
>>33654657
>Bersa .380 offered in FDE with black grips

... What the fuck, why? That sort of paintjob should be reserved for full-size guns only.
>>
>>33654674

learning now, chief.
>>
>>33654695

FTF. usually gets stuck between the clip and chamber once or twice during the first 10-20 rounds, and then it's fine.

>>33654701

cool, wrote that down. been watching a few youtube videos on cleaning this one before i head to academy. looks like i need oil, square gun cleaning cloths, and a brush.
>>
>>33654695

also, i think the type of jams are called stovepipes.
>>
>>33654657
For now, get a can of Rem-Oil, a bottle of Hoppes, and the cheapest 9mm pistol cleaning kit they sell. You can easily spray any gunk out of the action with the Rem-Oil, and just swab out the barrel with Hoppes. See if grease is recommended for the bersa's rails, if so get a very small tube. You only use a drop.

This will get you by for now, but if you are going to be doing a lot of cleaning you will want better shit. Personally I like having a pair of one-piece brass cleaning rods, so I never have to unscrew attachments. Also I've settled on Ballistol.
>>
File: 7Vs2xFr.png (350KB, 500x506px) Image search: [Google]
7Vs2xFr.png
350KB, 500x506px
>>33654843

thanks. looks like some of the kits come with those cleaning rods. just not the rem-oil you mentioned. i haven't seen anything about grease in all the bersa 380 cleaning videos i've watched. just oil.

heading to academy. thanks doods.
>>
>>33654897
>grease
>>
>>33654818
You're probably getting failures to feed. Stovepipes are when multiple rounds try to enter the chamber at once.
>>
File: Stovepipe.jpg (56KB, 394x272px) Image search: [Google]
Stovepipe.jpg
56KB, 394x272px
>>33655118
No
>>
>>33655118
Nope.
>>
File: doublefeed.jpg (27KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
doublefeed.jpg
27KB, 600x338px
>>33655118
>multiple rounds try to enter the chamber at once
That's a double feed.
>>
File: 1419810720562.jpg (58KB, 688x563px) Image search: [Google]
1419810720562.jpg
58KB, 688x563px
>>33656039

I fear that happening to me with a bolt action.
>>
>>33654739
>clip
>>
File: IMAG0597.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0597.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>33654707
>>
>>33657038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atnBbYZYl7I
>>
>>33654657
They start to get pissy after about 250 rounds. Your cheapest option is probably ballistol to lube and clear all the residue out. Also spray out the trigger, it tends to be dirty in there and no telling what your friend did to it. Let it sit overnight and then blow it out with compressed air. You do not want much lube on the slide at all.

Make sure the feed ramp is smooth and the extractor isn't worn down either. If you were firing hollow points that is the most likely problem.
>>
>>33654674
dumb fuck
>>
>>33654739
>clip
>bnob dildo

dropped
>>
>>33654657
I like Ballistol for just about everything... But others will recommend otherwise.
>>
>>33654674
Please go drive off of fucking bridge
>>
>>33654675
this is the way it's done
>>
File: cute-deer-animal-pictures-pics.jpg (312KB, 580x593px) Image search: [Google]
cute-deer-animal-pictures-pics.jpg
312KB, 580x593px
bought the hoppes pistol cleaning kit.

just finished up. looks nice and feels smoother. saw a lot of warnings about using too much oil, hopefully i didn't over oil it. used a saturated pad for the inner barrel (said to in the hoppes directions) and about 2 drops for the whole rest of the moving parts.

probably going to the range here in a few days. hopefully no more loading jams. thanks for the tips.
>>
File: robert_pete_williams_big_joe.jpg (48KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
robert_pete_williams_big_joe.jpg
48KB, 300x300px
>>33656039

the jams look kind of like this, except there's not a round in the chamber. just the other one sitting wonky and locking the slide open.
>>
>>33654897

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7faGZJZzZ4k
>>
>>33654657
So does this jam involve a round not going into the chamber, but instead feeding "nose up", like, at an angle with the primer end still in the magazine and the bullet end stuck against the ceiling of the slide? Because if so, my Bersa does the exact same thing. I field stripped it and gave it a thorough cleaning, and was shocked at how much gunk I pulled out of a basically brand-new gun - oil and cosmoline and stuff. I'd imagine that it will shoot much better now, but I haven't had the chance to take it to the range yet.

When you clean it, also remember to disassemble and clean any magazines you have for it. You'd be shocked how dirty those get, too. Especially, make sure to get the inside of the feed lips - clean them until your brush comes up clean.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
>>
>>33654657
Oh, and make sure that when you put the recoil spring back on it, you put it on the right way - lots of people accidentally reinstall them backwards.
>>
My roommates Versa would jam like every other round because of a burr on the feed ramp.
Took some 600 grit an removed the burr
After that, it was perfect
>>
>>33661284
Have you tried different brands of ammo? Slightly different loading specs and slightly different curvatures to the front of the bullet can sometimes make big differences in feeding reliability.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.