[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WEEBS GET IN HERE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

Is it real? What kind and era is it from? Bought this old sword from an antique store which has a ton of real military sabers and pole arms from europe. I know how to ID the real from fake with euro weapons, and all were real, but i dont know how to ID jap shit.

>Store owner claims its a chinese capture jap sword

pls halp, i can alway return it.
>>
>>
>>
>>33654403
>>33654406
It appears to be a genuine old *something*, OP. It has the patina for it. If you can't get an answer now, try again in about ten hours when the night /k/rew comes on board. /k/ always delivers eventually.
>>
>>
>>33654403
The markings on the sword blade should be it's maker. There is also a way to remove the hilt and look at the makers marks on the Tang of the sword. Looks WW2 ish. My grandpa has his chichi jima bring back and it looks similar to this. Hopefully you didn't spend over 1k cause that's all it's worth.
>>
>>33654403
I think its a military sword, wwII era. the cotten guard and iron sheath suggest its not form the edo era or before.

So a real sword, albeit a mass produced one
>>
>>33654719
i spent 250

>>33654788
gud nuff for me
>>
It's a really poor Chinese copy of a WWII Japanese shingunto. Probably made in the early 21st century, value about $20. Wear safety glasses if you ever try to cut tatami with it or something, for when the blade splinters apart and hits you in the face.
>>
The characters on the blade are
止少中火大水
This is not a name. All I can tell you 'cause it's otherwise unintelligible.
Find your local nip.
>>
>>33654403
clearly not from anything close to the samurai or feudal periods given what looks like it may even been nylon, otherwise machine made cloth straps. i'd be very suprised to hear about this being much more than 100 years old, and i'm guessing it's from between 1920-1945. chinese capture from the sino-china wars would make sense, ww2 is not off the table either

until you get that moonrune translated no idea.
>>
>>33654403
Thats a WW2 issued sword, the good news is that it is probably real since so many were produced and taken as prizes, the bad news is they are ass produced shit made from pot metal. Appreciate the history behind it but do not attempt to cut with it, you may hurt yourself and others or even fuck the blade.
>>
>>33654425

>He doesn't know the fine Chinese art of making fake patina
>>
You need to post a picture of the tang. There will be some markings there to identify the swordmaker.
>>
>>33655451
>止少中火大水
"Shuto medium heat large water"

Hahahahaha..
>>
>>33654432
Kinda looks like it was wrapped in shoelaces.
>>
>>33655637
Bing translate told me to try simplied Chinese and that translated to "Small fire in water". Running it through Google came back "Only less fire in the flood".
>>
>>33655637
>Shuto medium heat large water

Maybe marking how it was heat treated?

You know, machine-made sword and all.
>>
>>33655637
>>止少中火大水
Idk what the first character but
>unknown
>little
>middle/med
>fire
>big
>water
Keep in mind, at least in Chinese (Mandarin), these characters may not mean anything individually, but are strung together to form meaning.
>>
WWII obviously. mass produced. pretty much just for show. you'd get better quality from a cold-steel magazine.
>>
>>33654406

Look at the lock hole in the guard.

seems a mount for a mass produced WWII era sword or "GUNTO".

but the pattern on the sword is strange, is folded but the pattern does not look traditional.

If you can dissasemble the handle we can see more of it.

Is sure a WWII era mount but the blase maybe just maybe has more to say.
>>
>>止少中火大水
>>Stop, small, medium, fire, big/large, water
Stop small - medium fires with large amounts of water?

I can read both Chinese and Japanese, and this is nonsensical in the literal sense. In Chinese it doesn't mean much and in Japanese it could possibly be someone's name. However, it's more than likely not, since that's a strange name. Most Japanese names aren't beyond 5 characters.
Maybe it alludes to something literary?
>>
>>33655384
>It's a really poor Chinese copy of a WWII Japanese shingunto. Probably made in the early 21st century, value about $20. Wear safety glasses if you ever try to cut tatami with it or something, for when the blade splinters apart and hits you in the face.

Agree Chinese made recent copy
FAKE
>>
>>33655637
"Small fires start in the water"

It's a metaphor for how stupid OP was for buying a chink repro sword
>>
>>33656158
No sword in use in WW2 has such markings on the blade.

If it was signed which it won't be it would be under the wrap on the handle which he can't take off because he has to ring it back and get his money back as it is a recently made mass produced fake aged piece of tat. At very best 1970 vintage. At best.
>>
There were no brass scabbard Japanese swords produced during WWI (at least not by the Japanese. Any "WWII sword" in a brass scabbard, especially with acid etched kanji, flags, armament numbers on the scabbard or blade are most likely fakes. If you buy one buy it as such. These fakes also do not have a habaki.
>>
>>33654403
>>33654406
>>33654417

That's a Hattori Hanzo anime sword. AKA, a katakanga. I hope you were careful with it. If you put it into its saiya (that's Japanese for sheath) the wrong way, it could cut through the saiyan, fall into the floor and keep cutting until it reached the diamond core of the Earth!
>>
File: knivesowned.gif (446KB, 200x138px) Image search: [Google]
knivesowned.gif
446KB, 200x138px
Fake. Atrocious blade.
>>
>>33656158
>>33655837
>>33655637
>>33655451
>>33654406
Military squadron name?
>>
A Warning about buying Japanese swords and Fittings on Ebay.
There are now a huge amount of swords claiming to be genuine Japanese swords available on Ebay, Yahoo Japan and other online auction sites for sale that are sadly not even close to the real thing. Most of these swords are being sold out of China however there are more and more sellers popping up in Canada, the US, Australia and the UK so you must beware. These swords are being produced on Mainland China and have little or no character, absolutely no quaity, look for all the world the they were made with an Angle Grinder and are produced for about US$10.00 in total for labor and parts.
These swords all have tell tale signs that give away to the careful buyer, clear indications that they are fake. Take a good look at the pictures below, these are typical of the rubbish coming out of China that is being sold as genuine Japanese Antique Swords.

For the new collector who is unsure and can't see what is wrong and what is right, then visit some of our contributors links and take a long look at the swords they sell and try and see their quality, then take another look at the Hong Kong swords, there is a world of difference between them.
>>
File: seems legit.jpg (35KB, 600x407px) Image search: [Google]
seems legit.jpg
35KB, 600x407px
>>
>>33654958
>i spent 250

Hey, wanna buy some prime Swiss oceanfront property?
>>
Prior to 1945, NCO shin-gunto, non-commissioned officers swords, have all metal tsukas (handles) made to resemble the traditionally cloth wrapped shin-gunto swords.
>>
There are also numerous modern, crudely made swords of Chinese manufacture masquerading as various types of WW II or earlier Japanese swords. The swords vaguely resemble WW II shingunto or samurai style swords. They may have acid etched panels on the blades or saya with various Kanji sayings and/or Japanese looking flags. Authentic Japanese swords do not have acid etching anywhere on the blade or saya. The saya may be metal, leather covered or same' covered. They will commonly lack habaki. The handles are crudely wrapped except for the metal handles claiming to be NCO swords. Many are excessive long, claiming to be "no-dachi". Most have been "aged" to appear much older than their current production would indicate. These are not reproductions, they have no relation to Japanese swords of any era; they are simply fakes. Do not be fooled by claims to the contrary.
>>
>>33656192
underrated post
>>
File: gimei.jpg (5KB, 67x350px) Image search: [Google]
gimei.jpg
5KB, 67x350px
Many other styles of swords are being passed off as antique Japanese swords. Many have poorly cast silver colored tachi or shingunto style mounts and some have strange lacquer designs, stampings or carvings on the tsuka and saya. Some even have fake (gimei) "signatures" (see above right). In a lot of cases the Kanji make no sense when read. Many have low grade "damascus type" blades that have been strongly acid etched to show a design (see below). Do not be fooled; none of these are antique Japanese swords.
>>
File: fake2.jpg (8KB, 335x165px) Image search: [Google]
fake2.jpg
8KB, 335x165px
Do not be fooled; none of these are antique Japanese swords.
>>
File: DSCN0505.jpg (441KB, 1175x702px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0505.jpg
441KB, 1175x702px
>>33656348
Officer's shin gunto would have a more traditional grip, but unfortunately for OP, his sword doesn't.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/military.htm
>>
File: tsuba.jpg (84KB, 300x197px) Image search: [Google]
tsuba.jpg
84KB, 300x197px
http://www.swords.cheness.com/

Chinese/Japanese WWII Military Sword Replicas
FOR SALE AT $79.95 EACH (see bottom for volume discount info)
>>
>>33656398
>Officer's shin gunto would have a more traditional grip, but unfortunately for OP, his sword doesn't.http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/military.htm

It reminds me more of the pre and post war tourist souvenir bring backs 1890-1935 and 1970s but my gut says it is recent and Chinese because of the wrap an fuller ON A KATANA
>>
A fuller is a rounded or beveled groove or slot in the flat side of a blade (e.g. a sword, knife, or bayonet) that is made using a blacksmithing tool called a spring swage . These grooves are often called "blood grooves" or "blood gutters" as well as fullers, although their purpose has nothing to do with blood. A fuller is often used to lighten the blade, much the way that the shape of an I-beam allows a given amount of strength to be achieved with less material
>>
File: replica ferrari.jpg (59KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
replica ferrari.jpg
59KB, 600x300px
>>33656428
They're being rather generous about using the word "replica" there.

>>33656456
I don't really see what that has to do with anything, but...

>that is made using a blacksmithing tool called a spring swage

On a traditionally made Japanese sword it will most likely have been cut into the blade instead.
>>
File: IMG_0947.jpg (47KB, 1570x366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0947.jpg
47KB, 1570x366px
>>33656453
>an fuller ON A KATANA

Oh, missed this. Plenty of Japanese blades around with fullers, so that in itself doesn't say anything. This one's condemned more by the, uhm, "hada", as well as the style of the kanji that have somehow been inflicted upon the blade.
>>
>>33656345
>Hey, wanna buy some prime Swiss oceanfront property?

Implying I won't steal a Duro IIIP next WK and drive to Monaco, invading the country with my squad and set up a red&white permanent access to the sea for my country, reliving the times of mass attacks against those who failed to pay us enough and lion sculptures made in our honor by those who did.
>>
>>33656580
I guess that's more plausible than OP's sword being real at least.
>>
>>33656607
>>33656580
Breddy sad to hear. I guess I'll have to return it. Shame that. :/
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.