[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

S&W Semi Automatics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: psar1247x.jpg (175KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
psar1247x.jpg
175KB, 800x530px
Hey /k/

There's a small, one-man website selling a S&W Model 52-1 in .38SPL. The guy wants $850.00 for it. I know they're fairly uncommon especially since they are no longer produced and are chambered in .38 but is this one really worth almost $900?

General discussion about S&W semi autos and other 80s-90s era handguns like the Ruger P series etc.
>>
>>33644618
It's a target pistol for bullseye competition. They are good pistols.
>>
>>33644618
Also it's meant to shoot wadcutters.
>>
>>33644618
Don't know what they are going for, that one looks a little rough. I'd check gunbroker to get an idea.
>>
>>33645193
This. I'm pretty sure you can only run wadcutters thru it. But I'd buy it fuck it. I really want a model 39 myself
>>
File: tmp_12231-xgNegop-393207914.jpg (439KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_12231-xgNegop-393207914.jpg
439KB, 1024x768px
>>33644618

Good condition 52s are selling for prices pushing $2k in nice condition. I don't think they're worth that much but at this point collectors set the prices. Really neat guns if you want to shoot bullseye or just make nice clean holes in paper for fun, 38 Wadcutter only.

I've been trying to fix up the 52s 9x19mm brother, the 39-2. Used electrolysis to strip rust and touched up with cold blue. I think the extractor spring is too weak but I haven't been able to get to it. I broke 3 punches and didn't even budge the extractor pin, so be aware you might need an arbor press if you ever wanna service the shitty gen 1 extractor design. Everything else about them is super nice and comfy.
>>
Is there a longslide variant of the older S&W semi-autos in 9mm? I'd be all over that shit.
>>
>>33645456
My uncle has a 39-2, it seems like a hunk of junk to me. It takes the worst parts of the Colt .45 auto and the Browning Hi Power, and marries it into one handgun. Maybe it's nice to shoot, I dunno.
>>
File: IMG_0830.jpg (621KB, 2038x1530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0830.jpg
621KB, 2038x1530px
>>33646037
I've had one for a year or so, and I love it. Super nice trigger for an older gun and really light felt recoil to me. I need to grab some more magazines and build an A1 clone for that 1960s SEAL vibe.
>>
>>33645456

Fucking DECENT. I love these weird oddball guns. The 52 is cool as shit because it uses .38 wadcutters. It's 9mm brother is even cooler.

I think they actually stopped making them because the machinery broke and they couldn't afford to keep producing them.
>>
>>33645813

Yes, the S&W Performance Center made the 952. It's a longslide 52/39 in 9mm. Stupid expensive these days though.

>>33646342

I think the 4 digit model 3rd gen guns are still in production on a limited basis for police departments only.

If any of you want the ultimate in S&W single stack comfyness find a 3904 or 3906. Not as classy as a 39 or 4/5/639 but has all the final 3rd gen improvements.
>>
>>33644618
They are amazing pistols. I understand they were hand assembled the old way.
>>
>>33646622
IIRC S&W only a few years ago finally told all the PDs still using them that they're done doing more runs of them. The RCMP scrambled to grab up as many as they possibly could to keep them going for as long as possible, they still have no plans to replace their 5946s.
>>
Since we're on the subject, what do you /k/ommandos know or think about the 1076? I want one for FBI hijinks
>>
>>33646622
I believe that was only parts support, and that ended a few years back too. They stopped making the actual guns for police orders a while ago.
>>
>>33646037
They were nice enough that back before wondernines and shit were around, operators packed S&W 39's, BHP's, or .357 revolvers. Before non-competition oriented custom shops existed, 1911's (in regards to use in the US military) were for plebs whose equipment called for a sidearm yet couldn't afford their own pistol or get one authorized
>>
>>33647403
You can still find new 5946's at Cabelas once in a blue moon, left over from a LE run of pistols
>>
>>33647743
I wonder who else would still be ordering them, most big departments have moved on. NYPD can just move to all Glocks/SIGs, and all the guns ordered for the RCMP have a big distinctive rollmark applied to the slide at the factory.
>>
>>33647866

I remember Honolulu police using a S&W 3rd gen of some sort.
>>
We had one that was MINT in box. I priced it at 1200 because that's what you could find them going for at the time. That one in the picture seems pretty beat up, I would ask for better photos
>>
>>33649221
The only other major user I know of still (apart from authorized private purchase like in the LAPD) is the CHP. They're still using the 4006TSW last I heard.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.