[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theoretical Gunstuffs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1866yellowboyshortrifle.gif (317KB, 3041x646px) Image search: [Google]
1866yellowboyshortrifle.gif
317KB, 3041x646px
When watching the newest InRange video on the lever action concept, a though occurred to me: What would .30 Carbine look like out of a lever action? With some hotter powder to it or just a little longer of a case, ballistics could be comparable to a more modern or more powerful round, while having a thinner profile to assist in ballistics compared to the big heavy pistol rounds that others fire.

>general hypothetical shitposting, should anyone else care to join in
>>
>>33634996
>What would .30 Carbine look like out of a lever action?
without a rim?

an impressive jam.
>>
I dunno about any of that shit but if it means cheaper, more plentiful .30 Carbine I'd be down.
>>
>>33635003
.35 Remington is rimless and used in lever actions.
>>
shameful self bump
>>
>>33635086
Wait so why don't they make rimless leaver actions now if they can make them back then?

Pointy rifle rounds won't work, but there are plenty of pistol rounds that would be a cool fun gun.
>>
>>33635382
I really don't know. Guess that is why I made the thread. Levers are pretty utilitarian, good capacity, reliable, simple, good range, fun as fuck, and non-libtard-triggering. Only thing I've seen as a new caliber for it was one in .50 AE, but I want to know what better performance could be achieved with a lighter round.
>>
>>33635451
It is a neat idea. A lever is rather handy, and bumping range a couple hundred yards would be even more so. A cheaper caliber like .30 carbine could make this a really handy truck gun or general purpose, lightweight rifle. Why isn't anyone making this?
>>
I'll give it another bump, then I'll accept that this is going nowhere
>>
>>33636281
>Why isn't anyone making this?
Go to it man
>>
>>33638458
I mean, I absolutely love mechanical engineering and all that, but I'm not in a position to do something like this.

>maybe I'll submit it to kel-tec
>>
>>33634996
Because it doesn't do anything you can't already do with .30-30, .357 Magnum, or .44 Magnum.
>>
>>33638489
Barret started in his garage with no manufacturing experience
>>
File: WWII_Radioing-PhotosNormandie_0.jpg (151KB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
WWII_Radioing-PhotosNormandie_0.jpg
151KB, 1024x708px
>>33634996
>the newest InRange video

The idea of that video is basicly "what if the US army started using (relatively) high-capacity lever guns and squad tactics in the 1870s?"

It got me thinking. My understanding is that modern small unit squad tactics essentially began with WWI trench raiders. Trench raiders used SMGs, carbines, grenades, knives and clubs and tried to get in and out as fast as possible.

Squad tactics developed during the interwar period. And were effective in WWII because of advances in communication technology, LMGs / GPMGs, mortars, air support and artillery.

There were battles in the Indian Wars where entire US Army companies were wiped out. Even if lever guns gave a squad the firepower of a platoon, I don't see how the tactics would be successful without all the other associated advances.
>>
>>33635382
theres a company who converts marlins into 9mm, 40, 45, 10mm, etc
>>
>>33638899
This right here. And also checked.

.30 carbine (from what I've read) is comparable to .357 magnum, which is a popular lever action cartridge. Trying to shoehorn it into a lever action platform would be tantamount to reinventing the wheel to fill a niche that doesn't exist.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.