[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on Scout Rifles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: scout.jpg (68KB, 1000x431px) Image search: [Google]
scout.jpg
68KB, 1000x431px
> The scout rifle is a class of general-purpose rifles defined and promoted by Jeff Cooper in the early 1980s.

> These are typically bolt-action carbines chambered for .308 Winchester (or 7.62×51mm),
> less than 1 meter (40 inches) in length,
> less than 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) in weight, > with iron and optical sights
> fitted with practical slings
> and capable of hitting man-sized targets out to 450 meters without scopes.

Is the standard still relevant? How would you improve the build?
>>
>>33627319
Bubba no.
>>
>>33627319
Outdated as hell, but I still want a lever action or straight pull rifle in 7mm-08 or .270 with a ching sling, 10 round mag, and a 2-10x.
>>
File: Scout Alicia.jpg (22KB, 200x380px) Image search: [Google]
Scout Alicia.jpg
22KB, 200x380px
I found the scouts to be highly useful
>>
Practical rifle, bruh
>>
>>33627319
welcome to current year grandpa, semi autos are a thing
>>
File: CZ-527.jpg (469KB, 1140x484px) Image search: [Google]
CZ-527.jpg
469KB, 1140x484px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7N8hLI2yM
>>
File: Nancy_Dufour.png (198KB, 400x566px) Image search: [Google]
Nancy_Dufour.png
198KB, 400x566px
>>33627412
Worst Scout a best gril
>>
it was never relevant, it's just always been fun. what to know what people love scouts? it's really not as surprising or complicated as people think
>peep sights are fun
>308 is fun
>boltguns are fun
>LER is fun
>light rifles are comfy
that's it. they're fun shooters that can do "anything" and people enjoy versatile and fun guns. does that make the "concept" "viable?" hell no. if you want a light defensive weapon effective close up or at medium range, get an AR or a SCAR if you need .308. most rifles that try to be scouts are over 7.5lb anyway, a 20" AR or a 16" battle rifle aren't all that much heavier.

people gotta get less hung up on specific applications and learn to enjoy fun combinations of features.
>>
File: IMG_0030.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>33629752
Yeah mine are fun and I carry them all the time, not like I'm going to encounter nork army while in the woods
>>
>>33627319
Fun rifle. Not practical except in a few situations. Jeff Cooper designed a rifle for a niche that does not exist.
Had the scout concept been figured out after WW1, it may have actually seen some use as an early DMR or recon patrol rifle.
A Scout's actual uses are pretty limited in modern times:

>A) for use by insurgents and militia forces as an isolated marksman rifle, in urban and semi-urban areas.

>B) for use by hunters as food procurement in all conditions.

>C) for use by preppers in both of the above roles.
>>
I think the "practical rifle" concept is more relevant today.

Irons are not as relevant with the reliability of modern optics and quick change mounts so long as you have a rail.

A forward mounted optic isnt as relevant with detachable magazines being affordable and no longer requiring use of stripper clips, see Weatherby Vanguard conversion.

I think it should run a suppressor and disagree with a sling as rife should be in your hands and not getting caught in brush but your mileage may vary.

In NZ a good bush rifle is a chopped/suppressed .308/7mm08/.243 which fits the bill for a practical rifle IMO.
>>
File: img_2916_0.jpg (150KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
img_2916_0.jpg
150KB, 800x533px
It's very interesting as a concept.
For comparison, my current .308 bolt action rifle weighs loaded (with 10 rd magazine and 9 round bandolier on stock plus one in chamber), with ching sling, bipod, suppressor and glass weighs 11.6 lbs (or 5.3 kilos), and it's probably gonna be a bit over 13 by the time I get my new suppressor and stock.
I've been wanting iron sights too, but I've become spoiled rotten by suppressors, and I think the variable zoom on my scope makes up for it. If I ever click full tilt, I might get one of those funny-looking scope mounts for red-dots (pic related) and try to live out some tacticool fantasy or other.
The weight's definitely gotten way out of hand, and I think my only saving graces are how strong I am, how short I have to trek to get to my hunting grounds, and the nature of the hunt, which has me shooting from prone for the most part.

>>33633746
>see Weatherby Vanguard conversion.
Funny you should mention it, I got one of those rifles, but instead opted for a new bottom metal so I could fit AICS magazines.
>>
>>33634810

Yeah sure, the AICS would be ideal but here Its $249 for a 10rd AICS mag here vs $90 for a legacy sports polymer to suit the mag conversion, I dont have the budget for the AICS but would do it if cost wasnt an issue. For now Im happy with the floorplate, that money is better diverted to decent boots and rainshell for me at the moment.
>>
File: 4584a2f571a4c199c615482f8b2895bd.jpg (385KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
4584a2f571a4c199c615482f8b2895bd.jpg
385KB, 1200x1600px
what about scout shotguns
>>
>>33627319
EVERY DAY UNTIL YOU LIKE IT

it's a handy .308 with a forward mounted scope.

THAT'S IT.

nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>33629650
Love Luckygunner. Ammo prices are too high, but their content is good.
>>
>>33634935

Dave Canterbury is certainly fond of them, Id rather take my suppressed .308 bolt gun and suppressed ruger 10/22 takedown in the bottom of my ruck.
>>
>>33634921
To be entirely fair, the AICS thing was really just a matter of wanting something stupid just as the paycheck came in - I've got absolutely no complaints with the standard floorplate (Still have it laying in the locker), but the idea of having a handy removable standardised magazine really appealed to me, so I bought three ten-rounders and got a five-rounder in the mail.
>>
File: œ.jpg (280KB, 741x1024px) Image search: [Google]
œ.jpg
280KB, 741x1024px
>>33627319
>How would you improve the build?

if companies made more intermediate eye relief scopes instead of long eye relief pistol tier scopes. leupold is the only one that makes one. dont need the 10 inches of eye relief since stripper clips arent used anymore. 5-6 inches eye relief with more magnification options would be ideal for the build. and better factory reticles and "tactical" scope dials so you can shoot long range as well. if its a bolt gun and youre stuck trying to use holdovers at 400+ yards, youre not taking full advantage of what you have. especially with a 308 round. id buy a lightweight fixed 4 power optic with 6 inches of eye relief, a mil reticle for ranging and tactical elevation dials. that way you could still have your ghost ring in the back with the optic mounted right in front.

the lack of optics designed for the concept is the problem. right now all ive got is a rifle i cant take full advantage of. and i dont have enough load data to get leupold CDS and risk the dials being off. ill probably figure it out eventually so i can try and shoot further.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.