[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Accuracy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: gun arrow.jpg (650KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
gun arrow.jpg
650KB, 3000x2000px
Ok, so the feathers on an arrow are what make it fly straight. We use bullets now because we can shoot them faster than arrows, but why give up the feathers? Would this increase accuracy?

>pic related

Discuss.
>>
Bullets take a flight trajectory much similar to a football when thrown. The more force behind it the farther it goes, i.e. More powder = further flight. This isn't necessarily accurate though, this is seen first with muzzleloaders and lead balls, they shot fast and hard but were inaccurate as fuck, then we added spin to it to help hold its path, to add to that they created what was close to the modern bullet there the base was flat so that there was more of an "arrow" shape to help guide its flight. As gun technology advanced we moved to the current ammo where it's long and thin count to a point at the front (mainly speaking rifle loads) the longer round help stabilize the pitch axis wobble, making a more accurate shot.
The most advanced shot we have now is with the luppa round when it tapers at the end to help with aerodynamics, this round also has the longest range since the last time I check.

The arrow is used in the idea of a bullet but the "feathers" were necessary on arrows because environmental effects had more of an impact on flight trajectory, such as wind blowing the arrow to the side.
When the round is smaller it requires less of the elements that an arrow would of had. The speed is also important, while an arrow is fast it's only a fraction of the speed of a bullet
>>
>>33620438
Do you have a gun? If you do, try this little experiment : take a bullet, tape some feathers on it, then chamber it, see how that turns out.

Then try shooting yourself with it so you don't spread your stupidity anymore.

1/10 I took the bait.
>>
>>33620438
>What is rifling for 400, alex?
>>
so youre saying that adding the feathers would increase the chances of me hitting myself?
>>
But would it increase accuracy
>>
What if I put feathers on my dick while railing your mom
>>
>>33620438
Feathers are a drag device because tip of an arrow is heavy. Ever thrown dart without the fletchings? It just goes sideways. When pushing from the back to propel the arrow, the rear accelerates faster than the front, the feathers provide drag to straighten the flight path.

Think if you are fishtailing in a car, that means the back is going faster that the front. If you have FWD you step on the gas a bit to equalize the speeds. Since arrows can't be powered during flight, you have to slow the back down instead.

Bullets dont suffer from this because of rotation and also the fact that the CoG and aerodynamic center of spitzers is pretty far back near the base
>>
File: arrow footbal.jpg (236KB, 2778x480px) Image search: [Google]
arrow footbal.jpg
236KB, 2778x480px
i see no reason why this wouldnt fly better
>>
ok, so we had horse carriages befor cars, so why dont we put a horse in our car? would this increase power?
>>
File: ball.jpg (107KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ball.jpg
107KB, 1000x1000px
the most accurate projectile in human history
>>
File: 30 rounds of 545.jpg (207KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
30 rounds of 545.jpg
207KB, 1382x778px
>>33620438
>>
>>33620438
it has spin, it doesn't need feathers.
>>
>>33620472
Modern tank guns are smoothbore
>>
File: images (7).jpg (4KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
4KB, 280x180px
>precision balance
>Arrow dynamic
>Easy to load
>Light weight
>Bends easily to create sturdy flight path

Why not just use feathers? Op is on to something
>>
File: banner_120mm.jpg (44KB, 960x260px) Image search: [Google]
banner_120mm.jpg
44KB, 960x260px
>>33620612
Because they use these.
>>
>>33620562
Nerf came up with that design years ago.
>>
File: birds.jpg (29KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
birds.jpg
29KB, 800x800px
turn your common soldier into an expert marksman, unmissable projectiles
>>
>>33620456
>while an arrow is fast it's only a fraction of the speed of a bullet
This is true, but a bit of an undermine for bows imo
My compound sends em 300+ FPS
Of course it's still a fraction, but it's by no means slow
>>
If you're gonna go troll physics, go full fucking troll physics. This shit's just sad and shit.
>>
>>33620612
SLAP rounds have fins
>>
Why not just fire birds? They could hone in on the target
>>
Without feathers, the center of mass of the arrow would be behind the center of drag, leading to instability. With bullets, the center of mass is behind the center of drag, however, we can still make the bullet stable by adding spin. When a objet is rotating, it has angular momentum. For a object to change its angular momentum force has to be applied. Therefor if you give a projectile enough angular momentum it will keep its alignment because the force of drag isn't enough to move it significantly. I believe tanks are able to be smooth-bore because there projectiles actually have metal fins that pop out after fired.
>>
>>33620719
The fins typically do not pop out. They are solid and small.
Tanks are smoothbore because the HEAT rounds used originally do not work as well when spun. The current design of kinetic penetrators are fin stabilised because their long length means the twist rate of the rifling required to stabilise them would not work.
>>
thats not what a bullet looks like when its been fired
>>
>>33620820
Yeah, that's the biggest problem here.
>>
>>33620438
The feathers provide the means to get the arrow to rotate similar to rifling of a barrel. It also helps to stableize the arrow while archers paradox is in affect.
>>
No ones explaining whether the bullet would actually be more accurate or not
>>
how are you going to produce a bullet that has fins on it with the current cartridge design that can be made in hundreads with minimal cost
>>
>>33620909
it may well be more accurate with the loss in firing speed , cost , cartridge size , and THE COMPLETE REDEISGN OF ALMOAST ALL CURRENT FIRE ARMS
>>
>>33620947
we evolved from muzzle loading to chamber loading. this is just the next step. if it increases accuracy then it should be considered
>>
>>33620974
so you're saying its more accurate
>>
>>33620594
2 cats
can confirm
>>
>>33621178
>can confirm
you need to go back
>>
>>33621695
We should verify with tests
>>
>>33620719
Nope. The shell is encased in a sabot that will separates away when it is fired
>>
>>33621799
put the shell around the feathers and stick too
>>
>>33620562
try giving it spin and let me know how it goes.
>>
>>33620438
Discarding sabot 9mm when?
>>
>>33620653
>while an arrow is fast it"s only a fraction of the speed of a bullet

>I have a bow, it's fast
>not as fast as a bullet

Why not just fucking say "hey, you're right!"
Why say anything at all?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.