[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first post on /k/ pls no bully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

Any submariners here? I would love to hear any stories, experiences, type/duration of training, anything really about sub life, especially how it is in your country.

We in leafland have 4 diesel-electric subs we bought from the UK in the late 90s. Kinda a disaster story, only one is in working condition at a time, the others are blowing up and going through extensive maintenence.

Recently got accepted to RMC through ROTP for NCSE. If any leafs want to shoot some advice this way that'd be great. I am excited to start basic and school/training but I have no fucking idea what I'm really getting into (no friends/family in the forces).
>>
Every submariner I've met has been incredibly bright. Most of them could have quite easily cut it in any other profession and a great deal did afterward. This is going back a while, but I knew a few socially in Hong Kong and they were excellent company.

Very little swinging of the lamp was done over submariner antics, but they were a close bunch and kept each other well sorted out with careers and roles after retirement.
>>
>>33619268
>advice
Bring lube.
You are going to be with a bunch dudes underwater for an extended time.
>>
You know /k/ loves anything that's round and hard and full of seamen.
>>
>>33619268
what >>33619286 said.

Here in the US, working on a sub is one of the most stressful jobs imaginable. And on the nuclear subs, you've got to know the damn thing inside and out.

You dont have "one" roll. Or even just a few. You've got to be able to do EVERYTHING.

>>33619298
This may sound like a joke, but it isn't. Bring lube.

Even if you cant get past the shackles of being straight, you're gonna get sick of jerkin your meat with rough hands.

Hell bring some fleshlights and dildos. You're gonna wish you had more.
>>
>>33619286
From what I've read, it seems like an incredibly difficult trade. That's also why it is so fascinating. It just seems like something you can literally immerse yourself into and have it become your life.

I'm guessing the military already to a degree but relatively speaking, I think I'm pretty "bright". My recruiter called me his "star child" because I did extremely well in high school, extra curricular, and my aptitude test.

>>33619298
I'm not going, just interested. I have no idea if you can request which vessel to serve on.

>>33619306
Kek
>>
>>33619327
>My recruiter called me his "star child"

My god. You better bring a boatload of lube cause it sounds you're going to be the bottom bitch.
>>
>>33619339
I know ;_;

What's worse is that I'm a real pretty boy. I objectively look cuter than most girls.
>>
>>33619327
Again, it's anecdotal and out of date but I've met extremely capable and extremely incapable people of every type, role, nationality and rank. Special forces, cavalry, infantry, intelligence, engineers. Every combination.

Aside from submariners. They were all very good to excellent. It would never have been for me, I left school with nothing, but it really is not a job where you can get by on bullshit or your face fitting.

If you are worried about the future of the Canadian submarine program, consider the Royal Navy or the USN.
>>
>>33619362
Anyone on the internet who describes themselves as "prettier than a girl" must be an absolute Quasimodo
>>
>>33619268
ITT: Chinamen looking for info

Submariner here. 98% of the time it's the worst thing you can possibly imagine.

2% of the time it's the coolest shit you will ever do in your life, ever. Up to you to decide if that 2% makes it worth it. Did to me
>>
>>33619369
How do you get assigned to one in the US? Do you get offered or is it voluntary? I've heard something that you need to volunteer at least twice because it's so stressful and they have to know you really want it.

>>33619372
Those aren't my words. My coworkers call me princess and take turns buying me coffee and cigarettes.

>>33619385
Nice meme
>>
>>33619385
What's so bad about the 98% of it though? Is it just the large amounts of information you need to know?
>>
>>33619407
Sure that's part of it. Mostly though it's the amount of time you spend on the boat. We're talking the majority of your life while attached to the boat. Done single guys didn't even rent a house they just put their shit into a storage unit because your never there anyway. In port your looking at 90-100 hour work weeks and the you go underway as much as possible because for a nuc boat it's more cost effective. You'd be surprised how much you miss sunlight. I never knew how much I could hate a lighting fixture. Communication is a big thing too, there is none. You occasionally get text only emails if you're not on mission. On top of that your always tired and things don't heal right because of oxygen levels and the oil film on everything. I'm fairly certain I found things in those bikes that can both Chase and cure cancer. There's more but. . .

> The coolest shit you will ever do. Shit you can't talk about, shit you can't talk about not talking about, and tails of debauchery you will be telling to people until you die
>>
>>33619453
I have like 2 friends and no gf, not because I'm a loser or a virgin, I just don't care for it at all. Basically the only people I care about in life are my parents and my sisters, all of them support my decision to join the navy anyway. My "circle" of friends is used to me picking up and just leaving for years anyway. Socially, I don't feel like I'd suffer much.

I come from a poor family too (the living room has been my bedroom for 10 years for exanple) so I'm not really materialistic either and don't care too much for what I have other than food everyday.

I think I'd be a good fit in that regard.

Are you American btw?
>>
>>33619453
I'm a submariner too. This is spot on. But the 2% isn't worth it to me. I can't wait to get out of the Navy.
>>
How did you submariners become submariners? What's the process like?

Also include your cunt (unless this is a board where everyone is just assumed American, idk first time poster on /k/)
>>
>>33619268
I'm inn a pipeline for nuke sub in america, so no advice sorry.
>>
>>33619606
As an officer*
>>
>>33619268
I am an ex Royal Navy Submariner, I served 8 years as a marine engineer, if you have any questions fire away but please be specific.
>>
>>33619500
Well if you can go fast attack, lose your virginity inna port call lmao
>>
Why do they have so many people on US subs? I'm guessing you need around 3x the people needed to operate the critical functions due to sleep. If you had 10 people for the bridge, 5 for the nuke, 1 cook, 1 doctor 2 for torpedo room multiplied by 3, it's only around 60 people. What tasks require so many crew on subs?

UK and French subs have smaller crews, I read that the USN has a hatred of automatic systems in submarine and as a result requires more crew is that true?
>>
>>33619668
OP back again, yes I do have a question.

When you entered the navy as an engineer (as I am) what led you to serve on a submarine? Was it offered to you or did you volunteer? What was the training like?
>>
>>33619871
I volunteered for it because I thought it would lead to better job opportunities civvie side (it was not true) and that the food was supposed to be the best in the military (also not true).

Training consisted of phase 1 training that all sailors go through, 10 weeks of pointless bullshit you will rarely use again but hey ho.

After that I was sent to the Submarine school that was on that very same base, I forget how long the course is but I think it is around 8-9 weeks and you learn one major system on the boat per week with an examination at the end of each week, at the end of the course you have to sit a board and be grilled about everything you have learned as well as a walkround of a working submarine where they point at random pieces of machinery and ask about their function.

Then it is 33 weeks of engineering training where they attempt to make you an electrician, mechanic and electronics expert as well as doing more of the pointless shit you did in phase 1. At the end of it you come out more confused than ever and knowing next to nothing, this is perfect because then you join your first boat and they teach you from scratch how to do things the right way. You will have duties on the boat but will also be expected to "study" for your dolphins in your spare time.
>>
>>33619939
Getting your dolphins means learning every single valve and system on the boat, you should be able to find XXX system valve blindfolded when asked. You need to get quizzed and signed off by on such systems by various SNCO's, once everything is signed off you will sit a board with a few Officers and SNCO's and will get grilled once more as well as another tour of the boat where they ask you to find and point out X. If they are satisfied there is a small ceremony, you get your dolphins and people finally stop treating you like a pariah.
>>
>>33619939
>>33619965
Not OP but, this is for conventional subs right? I know the nuclear school is longer.
>>
>>33619965
>>33619939
No offense or anything, but why would you think that it would lead to better civilian jobs lel? There are like no civilian subs compared to merchant ships.

Anyway thanks for the info. Was this directly out of your engineering degree or during it? I'll be doing my basic and environmental training while completing my degree. Just asking because I'm unsure when exactly is it that you're assigned to a vessel.

Did you feel there was a lot of applicants to subs or was there a push to get people to fill in? Also what are you doing now in the civie world?
>>
>>33619500
Yup American. Sounds like you might be a good fit ya, depends on work ethic and intelligence a lot though. Have to be fairly above average to succeed.

>>33619555

Process is volunteer, go to either nuke school which is hell for two years or go to sub school in Groton which is meh and then viola boat. Depends on what rate you go in for
>>
>>33620032
All of our boats are nuclear, I have never served on a diesel.
>>
>>33620037
I got my engineering degree on the job, it is required now in order to make it past Petty Officer. We actually had a lot of people volunteering for boats since the pay is so much better, the problem is the medical is a bit of a bitch and a lot of people failed it, we also had people fail to keep up with examinations and they were back classed or went to serve on skimmers.
>>
>>33620063
Oh okay. I'm shipping out in about a month with an NF contract and they're telling me I'll have between 15-18 months of schooling total.
>>
>>33620063
I think Americans have a literal "Nuke school" that lasts about a year.

>>33620056
I am not one to brag but I kept straight As in high school, got beat out for valedictorian by the gay Mexican, while working +35hrs a week.

I need to find a job to absorb my life or I'll fucking kill myself anyway so yeah it might work.
>>
File: 4lp.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4lp.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>33619327
>My recruiter called me his "star child"
what the fuck
>>
>>33620095
He said he kept a picture of me on his monitor I shit you not.

My application lasted over a year because of some bs so we kept in contact quite a bit.
>>
>>33620093
Nuke school is 2 years.

Also ya should do fine. If you have technical inclination have at it
>>
>>33620108
>He said he kept a picture of me on his monitor I shit you not.
He wants to fuck you.
>>
>>33620113
I honestly never took it as a gay thing
>>
>>33620108
This is Canada, right?
>>
>>33620182
>I honestly never took it as a gay thing
Theres a first time for everything, just ask him to take it slowly.
>>
>>33620182
you will soon
>>
>>33620231
Yeah
>>
File: cate.jpg (66KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
cate.jpg
66KB, 437x437px
Any submarinerfags here, what's the little pointy stub sticking up at the front of the sub?
>>
>>33619668
Are the countermeasures on Vanguard/trafalgar/swifsure/astue reloded internally or externally?
>>
>>33620303
Internally on the Trafalgar class, I would assume it is the same on the other boats. You can also use it to send up smoke, messages and flares to the surface.
>>
File: 1454080696457.jpg (6KB, 240x211px) Image search: [Google]
1454080696457.jpg
6KB, 240x211px
>it's a faggot leaf gets catfished by a recruiter episode
>>
>>33620566
OP here, I honestly did not know this was a thing. Kinda sick in my stomach now
>>
>>33620586
Has he invited you to dinner yet?
>>
File: pepera.jpg (47KB, 303x566px) Image search: [Google]
pepera.jpg
47KB, 303x566px
>>33620586
sure thing Star Child
>>
>>33620297
The conning tower?
Or the rear fin?
>>
File: laughing pistachios.jpg (52KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
laughing pistachios.jpg
52KB, 700x466px
>>33620659
>sure thing Star Child
>>
>>33619400
>My coworkers call me princess and take turns buying me coffee and cigarettes
yup youre already fucked
>>
>>33620093
>straight As in high school
you literally just have to show up to make straight A's
>>
>>33620728
Indeed, star child could make good money working as a rent boy, he can join the navy when people go off him.
>>
File: catc.jpg (120KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
catc.jpg
120KB, 800x600px
>>33620713
Forward of the tower, it's a little stubby thing pointing out.
>>
Whats long and black and full of seamen?
>>
>>33620751
Your ass.
>>
>>33620776
Lel
>>
>>33620751
My wife's son
>>
>>33619362
Post face.
Just curious.
>>
>>33621136
The last thing I need is my irl identity associated with this thread...
>>
File: 1407418822081.jpg (25KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1407418822081.jpg
25KB, 400x386px
>>33620566
>>33620586
>>33620648
>>33620659
>>33620718
>>
>>33621213
Just try not to think about your recruiter looking at your pic on his monitor while he tugs away at his small veiny sailor.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.