[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mini 14

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (68KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 640x427px
Hello /k/!
I just recently purchased my first rifle; a 1979 production Ruger Mini 14. I've been thinking about getting another stock for it, maybe a Archangel or a Tapco. Anyone here have any experience with any aftermarket stocks for these? Especially with an older rifle like mine because I heard that the archangel stock won't fit my rifle.

Thanks in advance /k/ommandos!
>>
Throw it away and start over
>>
>>33619189
bend over and suck a turd out of your ass
>>
The original stocks are fine. Mini-14s are simple utility guns and a garbage tacticool stock isn't going to turn it into an AR.
>>
1979 production should make it a 181-series (Your serial number should start with 181-xxxxxx).

The Archangel won't fit a 18x series, which is okay, because they are a piece of shit, and expensive to boot.

IF you really need a new stock, either get a replacement wood, factory plastic, or one of the Hogue Overmold stocks. The Tapco feels like cheap crap, and it doesn't even have the dignity to be priced cheaply.

Also, definitely you should look into getting one of the barrel struts, I liked the Accu-Strut, but the Mo-Rod works just as well. Putting one on will do much to help with vertical stringing when the barrel gets hot. You could get a Hogue stock and a Accu-Strut for about what the Archangel stock kit costs in the first place, and still have a much better rifle.

Be aware that Ruger hasn't made any spare parts for the 181 series rifles since 1980, so if something breaks and you call them up, they might not have the parts to fix it.

Being a pre-185 series, it should have a 1:10 twist barrel on it. This means it's going to favor the lighter, 55 grain rounds. I wouldn't even bother trying anything heavier than a 62, and even then it's unlikely that it will shoot M855 even remotely well.
>>
>>33619305

180 series are the ones Ruger doesn't support. They support the 181 last time I checked.
>>
>>33619185
>Getting an outdated gun when AR15's and other such guns are cheaper and better.

You fucked up, anon. unless you got it for cheap / free.

Post more pics btw
>>
>>33619321
>they might not have the parts to fix it
Might not is the operative phrase.

Last time I called about 181 parts was like 2005, which was 12 years ago now. They may still have them, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't.
>>
>>33619185
I'm in a similar boat. I bought the mini 14 a few years ago but after a wrist injury non-pistol grips don't really work me.

I don't even care about rails or tacticoolness I just want to make it more ergonomic for me.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33619305
Thanks for the info. I've seen a few videos that mention a barrel strut, and I did notice my rifle seemed to shot the slightest bit high after about ~75 rounds of almost constant fire, which I would imagine gets worse as the barrel gets hotter.

As far as stocks go, do you know of any good quality ones with a pistol grip? I feel like that would be more comfortable for me. Would the AC556 stock fit if I could get one?

>>33619357
I live in a liberal shit hole of a state with an 'assault weapons' ban where pre ban ARs cost ~$1200. I didn't search out a mini 14 specifically, but it was at a local gun store on sale for $600 so I snagged it up. A big reason why I got it is because it's a pre ban and I can do whatever I want to it.

Oh and I took a few more pictures
>>
>>33619357
He could live in Europe or another commie place
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 640x851px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 640x851px
>>33619464
>>
So many people bashing OP today. I'll help you.

You're honestly better off leaving it like that. If you're trying to make it more like an ar15 or something, you're wasting your time. If you're doing it just for fun the tapco stock would be fine.

>ac556 stock
not worth it. they cost almost $1000 on gunbroker when they pop up. if what you're saying about Ar15s in your state is true, just save a little more instead of dumping it into a stock. As cool as the ac556 stock is.
>>
>>33619305
pretty sure all the parts except the barrel and barrel attachment parts interchange
>>
File: image.jpg (155KB, 640x848px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155KB, 640x848px
>>33619489
>not worth it
That is a really good point, I just never really liked ARs, if only someone made a repro/similar stock to the AC556. ;_;
>>
File: mini14.jpg (20KB, 480x193px) Image search: [Google]
mini14.jpg
20KB, 480x193px
>>33619185
Get a wood top cover, an m14 style flash hider, and an accu strut
>>
File: image.jpg (141KB, 640x849px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 640x849px
>>33619464
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 640x850px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 640x850px
>>33619519
That's actually pretty dope, thanks
>>
>>33619464
>>33619522
It looks to be in excellent shape for a late 70's gun. Just leave it be, and buy something else later down the line. What are your options in your state?
>>
>>33619305

A useful and informative post. So rare these days.
>>
>>33619548
>what are your options in your state?
Are you asking what specifically is banned? I think 'assault weapons' are anything with a removable magazine and an adjustable/folding stock, threaded barrel, length of less than 30 inches, and a fixed magazine with a capacity higher than 10. Even the way it's written is hard to understand.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definitions
https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_943.htm#sec_53-202a
>>
>>33619617
>Connecticut
MFW

I-I...I'm sorry, Anon...Looks like your semi auto options are extremely limited. Idk what to really tell you. Here's what i'd do.

>Leave mini stock
>Enjoy it for what it is
>Learn how tto use it
>Move away from the coasts and buy cool shit before next election when the liberals take over again.
>>
I'm actually thinking about getting an Mini-14. I live in Mass so even pre-2016 AR-15s sell for around $1000+. I currently have an AR I could sell for around $1400 and then turn around to buy a Mini-14 for $500 and pocket the rest.
>>
>>33619185
>buys a mini14
>doesn't like the aesthetics
Then why'd you buy it?
>>
>>33619731
Like I said here>>33619464 I pretty much bought it (because it was on sale) on a whim with the intention of reselling it if I didn't end up liking it (which so kind of do). I don't dislike the looks of it, but I always feel the need to fuck with things that don't necessarily need to be fucked with.
>>
>>33619185
You leave her alone you filthy mongrel! She deserves better.
>>
File: image.gif (23KB, 288x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
23KB, 288x200px
>>33619827
here we see what is either a fud or b8
>>
>>33619870
>fud
why would an honest man need more than 10 rounds, and a spray fire grip and stock? its common sense.
>>
>>33619185

I have three mini's. Love them, but they do have their flaws- the classic wooden stock is not one of them. I'd leave it be.

I bought the archangel when I was younger and hated it very quickly along with a blackhawk!? brand.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.