[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting the Ruger LCR for my first gun/cc. Not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: Ruger-LCR-38-sp-front-quarter.jpg (123KB, 1024x625px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-LCR-38-sp-front-quarter.jpg
123KB, 1024x625px
Thinking about getting the Ruger LCR for my first gun/cc. Not sure if I should go with the .38, 357 or 9mm.
>>
38 or 9mm

357 Magnum out of a short barrel like that is literally pointless and it costs more and weighs more.
>>
>>33616601
Yeah man, it's a revolver.
You really can't go too wrong at self defense distances even with a DAO revolver.

Get the .357.
Contrary to what most will tell you, it's always good to have an extra type of ammo to choose from.
>>
>>33616636
It's heavier and more expensive and .357 out of that length of barrel is .38 with more blast and recoil. Literally why?

>Contrary to what most will tell you

In this case there's a reason most people say it.
>>
.38 Special. .357 is a bit much out of that gun and there have been some issues with 9 mm with the bullets pulling out of the cases.
I have one of the .38's and one of the .22LR's. Both are great shooters.
I call them Walt and Walt Jr.
>>
>>33616704
You have extra types of carry ammo to choose from, extra types of ammunition to practice with, and the "HURR, NOT OUT OF A SNUB BARREL!!!!!" Myth has been busted.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/07/myth-busted-no-reason-357-magnum-snubnose-revolvers-not-says-luckygunner-test/

It's little to no "loss" with a good bit of gain.
>>
>>33616763
Alright I'll stop saying that from now on. I still wouldn't shoot it out of such a small gun ever though. I wouldnt carry it.
>>
>>33616781
It's not really a "CARRY A .357!" Post so much as a "you'll have more practice ammo options"

I currently have yet to purchase a CC snub revolver, but I've shot a good number of them (various makes and models)

I'd buy the .357 and carry .38 +P
>>
>>33616812
Why would you practice with .357 though?

You can carry +p in the lcr .38 and it's lighter and cheaper.

If you're not going to shoot or carry .357 I don't see why you'd buy the .357 lcr
>>
>>33616843
Because (in my experience) I've found that sometimes .357 is available when .38 isn't.
The ability to use extra types of ammo is always a bonus when you have to consider practicing.

That and you could always not be a fucking pansy ass like me and carry .357.
>>
>>33616878
It's not about being a pansy it's about shooting what you can control and shoot effectively.

Do you actually buy ammo locally exclusively? Why in the fuck would you pay that much more just to shoot .357 because you couldn't find .38 at the store you look at locally? I don't understand your reasoning at all.
>>
>>33616894
Because I was unlucky and the locals stores that had good ammo prices went under, and that left the places that scalp me on everything equally.
.357 and .38 cost the same, and .38 was sold out.

I didn't feel like waiting on the shipping.
>>
>>33616601
Why no 327 ?
>>
>>33616909
So op should spend more for a heavier gun because you had local stores with a local ammo shortage and wouldn't wait ?
>>
>>33616909
>one time I couldn't find the ammo I wanted.

This anecdote is not a good reason to tell OP to spend more money on a purchase.
>>
IMO The .357 LCR is (obviously) a bitch to shoot, like not even enjoyable or fun at all. Really snappy recoil, the grip's too short (my pinky has absolutely nowhere to go) and the trigger pull is long as fuck.
>>
>>33616601
Get the 38, i use 38+p hornaday defense, and practice with it. Im getting decent groups after about 300 rds
>>
Ammo availability .357 wins.

If you are going to buy carry ammo then it doesn't matter much. There are short barrel loads that will surely perform as well as .357 out of that barrel length.

I almost bought the .38 LCR but went with a 642 instead. I would have purchased the 9mm LCR if they had it in stock.
>>
There's nothing wrong with .38 and it's been used to kill people for a long time.

.357 didn't make it obsolete or something.
>>
File: Ruger-LCRx-1.jpg (28KB, 620x512px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-LCRx-1.jpg
28KB, 620x512px
Eh. I'd rather look into other calibers if you want a snubb. But if you want a lightweight revolver l recommend LCRx in 38. special+p. It's a bit bigger and gets the same performance with less recoil thanks to that 3 inch barrel and the bigger grip.
>>
>>33616601
38 is the lightest weapon with a lot of options for defensive rounds while 357 not many options
>>
>>33616601
I just bought one in .357 Magnum. I'll probably only ever shoot .38 out of it, but I like the idea of having flexibility in ammo choices if I need to. I'll give you a range report in ten days after California's obnoxious waiting period expires.
>>
>>33616601

I opted for the 357, with ZERO intention of shooting 357.

My father in law has a scandium airweight j-frame, and I tried it once. That was enough to know it's pointless.

However, by shooting 38+p, I know I'll always keep the gun far below any pressure limits.
>>
>>33616812
This is the best option op

Also the lcr is a great snub
>>
>>33616601
9mm. It performs equal or better to .38spl, is cheaper, more bullet selection, and you get to play with moonclips.
>>
I love S&W revolvers but I personally don't see the appeal of using revolvers for CC. But if you want to use one then I would say 9mm because it's the best way to get good practice at a good price and there's a huge market for good ammo for personal defense and your revolver will be small and light for EDC. You're going to shoot a person, not a freight train so don't go overboard with caliber.
>>
>>33616601
Recoil on the .357 is a bitch, but you can always go light.
>>
>>33616913
I thought they developed one.
>>
>>33616931
wouldnt weight be good to control recoil?
>>
Is the S&W 642 in .38 better than the LCR?
>>
>>33618289
This thing is definitely in my lust box right now. Would tuck into my work bag so well for work carry, tuck it in my coat when camping, but still be great for shooting at the range. I believe you can put the short grips on it as well, so for conceal carry you can lose an inch of grip for concealment.
>>
>>33616894
I find the .357 is so close in price to .38spcl that you may as well just buy the .357.
>>
The 357 version is heavier, more expensive, and will foul faster using 38s. It will conversely hold more value and fire 357 should you change your mind. The 38 is the most popular version. The 9mm will orobably outperform the 38 ballistically but your effective ammo choices change and you have to use moonclips to shoot it. The 9mm is not common and is more expensive than it probably should be. The 327 is awesome but none of the 6 ammo types it uses are cheap unless you reload. The ballistic performance of 32sw long is underestimated and the recoil is less than the 38. That version holds the most rounds so +1 is worth it for some people. The 22 is pretty neat, 10 round snub. Not much performance though, 22lr disliketh short barreles.
>>
>>33620225

I have both, and carry the 642, mostly because I have carried 642's for years.

I would feel comfy switching out to the LCR, but don't, because there is no reason to.
>>
>>33621436
How does the trigger compare between the LCR and 642?
>>
>>33616601
The 38 +P bites like a morher fucker. It was very uncomfortable to shoot without gloves.
>>
Is there a blued version of the 642?
>>
>>33622156
>>
>>33616601

if you already have a 9mm gun, 89mm. If you don't, get the 357. Much better gun, easy shooter.

Then you have an excuse to get a dan wesson with an 8" barrel
>>
>>33621735
Lcr has an indisputably better trigger. The Hogue grips also help with felt recoil. It is lighter though (poly frame), which has pros for carry but not shooting.
>>
File: 763786585683456785.jpg (69KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
763786585683456785.jpg
69KB, 780x438px
>>33622698
>89mm
>>
>>33616601
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.