[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Geiger Counter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

File: 35077.jpg (636KB, 990x647px) Image search: [Google]
35077.jpg
636KB, 990x647px
What is /k/'s choice of geiger counter?

Pic is of some Chernobyl liquidators, circa 1986.
>>
File: 101_1926.jpg (477KB, 884x694px) Image search: [Google]
101_1926.jpg
477KB, 884x694px
I'm rocking a Lionel model 6B CDV-700 for the Cold War aesthetic.

If you want something to carry around you'd probably want something like a Gamma Scout.
>>
>>33607347
Is it actually safe to use uranium glass for food or drink?
>>
>>33607386

Yes.
>>
>>33607329
Ludlum Model 3 is the only way to go. Watch eBay. Get an energy compensating filter so you can use it for dose rates, too. RadEye B20 is handier, and can have a nifty belt clip, + Bluetooth for data logging, but it's not as sensitive. It's the whole comforting vs comfortable thing. If SHTF, I want a Model 3.

>>33607347 700s are better than nothing, but are absolute shit for low end, and for personnel surveys. Cool collectibles, but absolutely no responsible commerical entity uses them. Shockingly, some FDs still do. An audible response is 100% necessary for scanning people for contamination. You CAN put a speaker on one, but it's another fuckhuge box you hang off the side.
>>
>>33607543
Forgot pic. You can drop the box down a flight of stairs, but not the probe. RadEye doesn't care what you do to it.
>>
>>33607543

Mine has an external speaker. You can see it in the picture.
>>
File: radeye_b20.jpg (180KB, 694x556px) Image search: [Google]
radeye_b20.jpg
180KB, 694x556px
>>33607549
And the RadEye.

Other nice thing about the "pancake probe" pictures on the Model 3 above is that it can actually detect alpha, as well as beta and gamma.
>>
File: cdv705s.jpg (91KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
cdv705s.jpg
91KB, 800x500px
>>33607558
Oh, that's nifty. Didn't even notice. The original Civil Defense (CD) ones were fuckhuge boxes clamped to the case.

Now, if you ever acquire the retrofitted one with the red end cap here, they surprisingly don't suck; just slow for personnel surveys. Actually about as sensitive as a Model 3. They distributed the retrofit kit to states b/c the state CD shops were getting crapped up due to leaking calibration sources, and the regular -700s couldn't detect the contamination.
>>
>>33607543
hey

what is your opinion on the r-tracker gr-11a

geiger counter si22bg
>>
>>33607586
see this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUkFa6-oZVU

opinions?
>>
>>33607574

There are also modern pancake probe upgrades available. Some require soldering but others just replace the original pickle probe.
>>
>>33607559
I work with a variant of this and they are much lighter. They also have quite a few handy functions and run off of AAA.
>>
Gamma radiation detect.
Size: 115x25x30 mm.
Sensor CI-22BG.
Power: 12V.
Alarm function: Alarm if more than 0.30 μSv/h.
Functions "Clock" present.
Functions "Sound mode \ No sound" present.
Function "Gamma radiation equivalent dose" present.
Gamma radiation equivalent dose: 0,01-99 μSv/h (1-9999 mR/h).
Gamma radiation equivalent dose rate: 0,01-99 μSv (1-9999 mR).
Color: Black.

Any thoughts experts?
>>
>>33607586
Man, you've got some weird sources. Well, a GM tube's a GM tube; no reason the car mounted one shouldn't work well, just beware of shock damage from potholes and whatnot, and corrosive effects if it's mounted outside (sand, salt, rain, etc). Questionsble utility, but to each their own. If you drive by an antique store and it goes apeshit, it may be time to go antiquing (look Ma, a whole vial of Undark! Now I can get cancer just like those old timey girls!).
>>
>>33607608
There are some very cool things you can do with them, particularly once Bluetooth gets involved. I still prefer a Model 3, but you can wear one of these as an alarming ratemeter and basically forget about it (*not likely to meet regulatory requirements as an "alarming ratemeter").

>>33607603 That's really a pig in a wig situation, though. The electronics in the meter are still shit, and there's still no Fast/Slow option.

>Goddamnit /k/, quit sucking me in, I gotta finish shitting and get ready for work.
>>
>>33607622
>33607622

I already have a 23000mah/85wh rechargeable battery pack that has adapters for laptops and whatnot it does dc 12v 3A and is the size of a paperback

please elaborate on the rest of you points

I like the fact you can place it on a car dash to avoid hotspots
>>
>>33607620
>1mR/hr minimum detection limit
Might as well be a rock. A decent detector should show well over 1000 counts per minute at that point.
>>
>>33607642
>>1mR/hr minimum detection limit
>Might as well be a rock. A decent detector should show well over 1000 counts per minute at that point.

that is in dosemeter mode

The R-Tracker GR-10a have 3 modes. Mode selection - button MODE.
• The Dose mode. Current dose, μSv/h. The button MIN – the sound ON/OFF.
• Σ Dose mode. When you push the button Mode, on the digital display indicates (on 1 second E:) an accumulated dose which has been got on μSv. The button MIN – the sound ON/OFF.
• Press again Mode. You have a Clock mode. You can control minutes and hours. The button MIN for changes minutes. The button HR changes hours.
>>
>>33607641
Well, if it's mounted outside, it's gonna take a beating, and may break early. Mounting it outside also keeps it from accurately reflecting dose to the driver (driving through a beta plume will generate an x-ray doserate within the vehicle as the betas interact with the car body). It's not really telling you anything other than a meter with an audible indication sitting on the passenger seat is.
>>
>>33607649
in dosemeter mode

During that, the measurement is continuing, and if the threshold of a dangerous level rises, alarm is activated. You will hear the alarm sound. The threshold is 0,3 μSv/h. The button ON/OFF – Power on/off.
>>
the sensor is a ci-22bg

power is 9-14v 10ma max
>>
>>33607656
I dunno, man, the only place it gives a dose rate (mR/hr or Sv/h), the minimum is 1 mR/hr. That's really insensitive.
>>
>>33607692
>ci-22bg

Are the SI-22BG and CI-22BG tube the same component?
>>
File: Health-Risks-of-Radiation-1_1.jpg (116KB, 594x367px) Image search: [Google]
Health-Risks-of-Radiation-1_1.jpg
116KB, 594x367px
Throwing this up as it is useful
>>
>>33607885
>Gamma radiation equivalent dose: 0,01-99 μSv/h (1-9999 mR/h).
>Gamma radiation equivalent dose rate: 0,01-99 μSv (1-9999 mR).

so this thing will read down to half of what is considered safe for long term habitation 0,01μSv
up to high danger

Why is that not adequate ?

Help me out
>>
>>33607885
Is this chart wrong?
>>
>>33607899
Ok, back.

So, I thought their units were funny; didn't have time to check. I can't think in Sieverts, so I'm used to having to look it up.

Turns out they fucked up their unit conversions. Typical with Russian shit, which is another reason I don't trust it; their QA/QC is abominable, unless multiple reviews say otherwise.

If the Sv units given are accurate, then it's perfectly adequate. The mR numbers it's giving are 100x higher, in which case it wouldn't be giving off a reading until you're at roughly 50x typical background levels. The Sv numbers are probably correct, but you'll have to do some more research to find out.

Also, that chart is terrible, and mostly inaccurate. The public dose rate limit in the US is 2 mrem in any one hour to a member of the general public. Typical average annual background exposure is about 300 mrem per person, + medical exposures (x-rays). I've had to respond before b/c some fuckknuckle bought one of those goddamned Russian pocket meters and kept it in her purse, and called us b/c it said "High Danger! Sickness Risk!" It was from a fucking rock. Not even an abnormally hot one.
>>
>>33607543
>Ludlum Model 3 is the only way to go. Watch eBay. Get an energy compensating filter so you can use it for dose rates, too. RadEye B20 is handier, and can have a nifty belt clip, + Bluetooth for data logging, but it's not as sensitive. It's the whole comforting vs comfortable thing. If SHTF, I want a Model 3.

This thing Ludlum Model 3 has the following specs

Range: typically 0-200 mR/hr, or 0-500,000 cpm
Linearity: reading within 10% of true value with detector connected
Meter: 6.4 cm (2.5 in.) arc, 1 mA analog type
Meter Dial: 0-2 mR/hr, or 0-5 kcpm, BAT TEST (others available)

It is designed for surveyors So it can read at lowest 0-200 mR/hr far less than is considered safe for normal background radiation which is 0,02μSv max.

Where as this thing

>>33607586
>what is your opinion on the r-tracker gr-11a
>geiger counter si22bg
>>33607620
>Gamma radiation equivalent dose: 0,01-99 μSv/h (1-9999 mR/h).
>Gamma radiation equivalent dose rate: 0,01-99 μSv (1-9999 mR).

Can only measure down to half of what is considered normal background radiation maximum at .01μSv

The question is why would this matter?

Surely you only need to know when radiation level it is above .02 or getting there from .01μSv

why care about readings lower than half of safe?
>>
>>33608051
>normal background radiation which is 0,02μSv max.
Typical background is actually about 0.1-0.2μSv

>why care about readings lower than half of safe?
A few reasons.

For one, the definition of "safe" is actually really fluid. Realistically, if you keep your annual dose below 50mSv, (that's m, not μ), you won't be any more likely to get cancer than the general population. That's the subject of intense scientific debate right now (Google "hormesis vs linear no-threshold model"), but the old wisdom that any increase in radiation exposure, no matter how small, carries a proportional increase in your lifetime risk of developing cancer (implemented via the strategy of maintaining dose "As Low As Reasonably Achievable") is generally scientifically recognized as overkill. There seems to be a threshold dose, below which risk of cancer is not increased, but that's going to vary person to person. So, to be "unsafe," you need to actually get a hideously large dose; the kind you only see when fucking with industrial applications, certain medical procedures, and nuclear applications.

That being said, any substantial increase above background is a good sign that something odd is going on. As I go about my day, I want to know if my readings have increased to 10 times above background, as that's a sign of shenanigans. In order to do that, my meter must be able to detect background radiation.

Lastly, if scanning a surface or item for contamination, a meter must be sensitive and respond quickly. If you swing the meter past something too quickly, and it's not particularly sensitive, you can easily miss an area that needs to be decontaminated.
>>
>>33607692
1 mR/hr isn't going to kill you

shit son you won't see the effects of radiation poisoning until at least an acute dose of 100 rem
>>
File: 20140807_1323183.jpg (27KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
20140807_1323183.jpg
27KB, 800x600px
>>33608051
0.1 μSv was suggested for a 150-gram banana

I'll be OK with detecting more than one tenth of banana levels of risk per hour. Although clearly if I stay there for ten hours at the lowest reading I will have eaten ten bananas.

If it is anthing more than .2 I get the fuck out of dodge and if airborne particulates put a mask and gloves and hood on. If the alarm goes off at 0.30 μSv/h go into fuck reverse mode

HOWEVER

Some of you guys are clearly into rad meters I don;t get why you care about detecting levels that are what seem to far lower than normal safe levels.

Am I missing something?

As regards this pic related, it seems small, light easy to use and easy to wear or power.

Why would you want to lug a big box around just so you can detect levels that are lower than safe background is anyway? I'm assuming we are discussing all this in the event of the a nuclear emergency of some kind and not a home lab?
>>
>>33608303
1 mR/hr isn't going to kill you, but that's also about 50 times typical background radiation. If you don't know that the background around you has jumped that severely, you're not going to have all the information you need to make informed decisions.

>>33608309
>Some of you guys are clearly into rad meters I don;t get why you care about detecting levels that are what seem to far lower than normal safe levels.
>Am I missing something?
See above.

>Why would you want to lug a big box around just so you can detect levels that are lower than safe background is anyway? I'm assuming we are discussing all this in the event of the a nuclear emergency of some kind and not a home lab?
I deal with this shit occupationally, so I'mlooking at it in that context. Since radiation can't be scene/smelt/touched/tasted/heard, a good meter (and related devices), used properly, is your ONLY protection from ignorant fuckery on a jobsite. Here's an example; these dumbasses even admitted afterwards that they didn't do what they were supposed to (use a meter whenever approaching the radioactive source). https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2017/20170411en.html#en52345
>>
>>33608387
You won't be able to make informed decisions without a TLD anyway if you're worried about stochastic effects because you won't know what your total effective dose is.

And if you have the money to invest ~17k into nuclear paranoia you might as well just put up lead and steel shielding in your scooge mcduck bunker.
>>
>>33608283
>That being said, any substantial increase above background is a good sign that something odd is going on. As I go about my day, I want to know if my readings have increased to 10 times above background, as that's a sign of shenanigans. In order to do that, my meter must be able to detect background radiation.

But you could do that with a detector that has a minimum detection of 0,01 μSv

Being able to detect a minimum of 0.002 μSv on a Ludlum Model 3 does not keep you safer and since you can't readily carry it with you because it is a survery instrument why not have something small that you can carry and wear as a dosemeter that alarms when it detects 0.30 μSv/h so you can get back into a .1-.2 area ?

I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here. If you get an alarm at 0.30 μSv/h on something that you don;t have to look at is that not more useful than having to sit looking at a needle gauge constantly?

On athat paperback book sized battery running at 23000mah with it drawing 10ma max

Gives me 23 ampere hour and it drawing 0.01 that gives me a 2300 hour run time or 95 days.

A useful time considering common radioactive materials half lives and at any dangerous level an audible alarm as well as a dosometer.

What did this anon mean

>>33607642
>Might as well be a rock. A decent detector should show well over 1000 counts per minute at that point.

It seems to make no sense practically to have a bigger unit running on D-Cell batteries with no preset audible alarm, plus you can plug this into a car battery and stick it on your dash. The Ludlum model three manual says can't even be left with the batteries stored in it for more than 30 days.

I must be misunderstanding something here
>>
Any cheaper detectors for someone who is only going to be using it for defecting radiation from nuclear fallout and or dirty bomb?
>>
>>33608435
>You won't be able to make informed decisions without a TLD anyway if you're worried about stochastic effects because you won't know what your total effective dose is.
Found the Navy nuke. So much of what they taught us is just plain wrong. They teach it that way b/c it's true enough within the system they've created, and the school can only be so long.

There are handheld and belt-worn devices which can provide that data, with the same degree of accuracy as a TLD, and that carry equivalent legal weight (NVLAP accreditation). There are also devices that aren't legally considered dose of record dosimeters, but that do furnish the same info in the field (it's a matter of hitting a few buttons, or even checking the app on your phone, if you're carrying a Bluetooth equipped meter). Hell, some even identify isotopes for you (or at least put you in the ball park; you need a lab instrument for proper identification, but a handheld is good enough for confirming that that pile of used adult diapers in front of you is only radioloactive b/c the patient had a thyroid treatment with radioiodine).>>33608458
>Being able to detect a minimum of 0.002 μSv on a Ludlum Model 3
It doesn't. Units are messed up. It'sbottom end is roughly 0.01.

I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here. If you get an alarm at 0.30 μSv/h on something that you don;t have to look at is that not more useful than having to sit looking at a needle gauge constantly?
That's fine, if that's what it works at. The unit conversions had me messed up on that one, since they botched the Sv to mR numbers. 0.3 is a little low, though; background can naturally get that high when the conditions are right, and you don't want false alarms. Around 1.0 is better.
>>
>>33608387

Anon
Is the chart here wrong?

>>33607885

This cites 0.20 μSv as normal background radiation.

So If I can measure 0.01 μSv and up on that device (Gamma radiation equivalent dose rate: 0.01-99 μSv )where is the issue?

Can we stick to μSv and μSv/h to simplify my understanding?
>>
>>33608582
>That's fine, if that's what it works at. The unit conversions had me messed up on that one, since they botched the Sv to mR numbers. 0.3 is a little low, though; background can naturally get that high when the conditions are right, and you don't want false alarms. Around 1.0 is better.

I see now where our conversation was going wrong I was just looking at the μSv.

So the device is ok if it performs to spec you recon?
>>
>>33608435
>You won't be able to make informed decisions without a TLD anyway if you're worried about stochastic effects because you won't know what your total effective dose is.

The devise I am discussing is also a dosemeter

"• The Dose mode. Current dose, μSv/h. The button MIN – the sound ON/OFF.
• Σ Dose mode. When you push the button Mode, on the digital display indicates (on 1 second E:) an accumulated dose which has been got on μSv. The button MIN – the sound ON/OFF."
>>
>>33608458
>The Ludlum model three manual says can't even be left with the batteries stored in it for more than 30 days.
That's a prudent precaution with ANY electronic device; take out the batteries if it's just sitting. Otherwise, the batteries can corrode and ruin the device. Same rule goes for stereos, remote controls, flashlights, etc.

As for the utility of that particular model, again, if the Sv numbers are accurate, then it should be good enough for just driving around
>>
>>33608479
CDV-715 is kind of a brick, but may be fine for that. It's always nice if you can get something radioactive (like a piece of uranium glass, or uranium ore) to verify your meter is still working, but the -715 is nowhere near sensitive enough to pick up an old Fiestaware plate. Any cheapo should be fine for that level. Basically, keep running/driving until the needle stops twitching.

>>33608593
Those levels are fine, then. I was reading their mR units, which were not converted to properly.

And yeah, that chart is awful, tovarich.
>>
>>33608650
>>The Ludlum model three manual says can't even be left with the batteries stored in it for more than 30 days.
>That's a prudent precaution with ANY electronic device; take out the batteries if it's just sitting. Otherwise, the batteries can corrode and ruin the device. Same rule goes for stereos, remote controls, flashlights, etc.
>As for the utility of that particular model, again, if the Sv numbers are accurate, then it should be good enough for just driving around

Thanks anon. There is a risk of nuclear accident near me and I want to know when I am heading toward a hotspot, in one so I can leave and when I am in a coolspot and what my dose is. It is not bells and whistles but there has to be a limit how much you spend on these things. The fact that it is physcially small and I can keep it juioced for three months either in a vechicle or out and if necessary wear it amkes it seem practical. And of course try and get to where the alarm is not going off at 0,3 μSv/h because I am somewhere lower.

I have three of them new boxed and I next need to ensure they are calibrated. I have a pal in a physical department who should have a sample to try it on.

So one in the car, one on me and one in the home is the plan. If my total dose is getting high it is time to get out of the country or sit in a concrete box for six months,.
>>
>>33608697
>CDV-715

I looked at one of them but it was quite big and the seller said it needed recalibration, that but me off so I went for new tested.

The reason I got the car socket one is that I was told pre war all the VIPs who near chernobyl have the older model of them (the gr10a) fitted in their cars. I don;t know if you can still get stuff exported from ukraine now though or what the deal is if you ordered from the US.

Here their site

http://evrolab.com.ua/dozen.html
>>
>>33608816
All radiation detectors require regular calibration in order to give valid results. Some drift worse than others between calibrations, of course. In general, the cheaper the unit, the worse the drift with time.
>>
>>33608697
>And yeah, that chart is awful, tovarich.

LOL

I'm not russian where I am is metric and uses SI units or everything although I know inches, feet etc. A lot of the US equipment makers only ship to the lower 48 the old US civ def unit belonged to a US old boy who moved to my country. He was in the US civ defense as a volunteer
>>
>>33609005
Is there any household object than can be used as a quick check?

Eg do those ceiling fire alarms give a fairly well known reading?
>>
>>33608697
>And yeah, that chart is awful,

Which parts would you say are wrong on that chart?
>>
>>33607329
Mine is in the shop.
>>
>>33609005
>
thought
I suppose geiger counters giving the same readings mean they are still calibrated.......unless they are max or nothing
>>
Looking for best Cost vs quality on Amazon or other online sites. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 1491933901282-1053428400.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
1491933901282-1053428400.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>33609370
Not in general. Maybe if you have a water softener or a well with a cartridge filter in the house. Otherwise, go to an antique store and buy the biggest piece of green glass they have sitting under a black light; should be good for about 100 counts per minute. I keep a uranium glass coaster around for that reason, but usefulness depends on the instrument. Here, I'm not getting any increase over background with a pressurized ion chamber, because the body of the instrument stops any radiation from reaching the detector inside (it's all alpha and beta). If you're using a GM detector with a thin window though, such as this, >>33607574, this >>33607559, or this >>33607549, you should get a reading (although the hot dog probe in the first one, the shiny one, isn't nearly as sensitive as the others). If there's no "open window" or thin window, such as >>33608309, you may be SOL. Or you'll just have to Google "cs-137 check source" and pay for a gamma source.

>>33609414 Calibration with regards to survey instruments carries a legal meaning. It may still be accurate and precise, but not be "calibrated," because the sticker on it out there by a registered/licensed service provider is more than 12 +/- 1 month old (or whatever the manufacturer requires).

>>33609380
Everything it gives is dependent on rates, but it doesn't specify how long the area is occupied at that rate. There are industrial radioactive sources out there that are so hot that if you run up to it, pick it up, and throw it, you've just taken so much radiation to your hand that your fingers will die and have to be amputated. However, if that source is sitting in the middle of the highway, with cars driving through the radiation field, no individual driver will exceed their public dose limit (2 mR). That's because they're passing through it so quickly (I ran the numbers on that hypothetical once...). It's all dependent on how much time is spent while exposed to that dose rate.
>>
>>33610450
Thanks anon
>>
Bitches, please.
>>
File: DP-5B.jpg (110KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DP-5B.jpg
110KB, 640x480px
>>33607329
I have a bunch of Soviet Geiger counters. My favorite out of them is the DP-5 series, these are the type of unit that was used extensively during the cleanup operations at Chernobyl. They're tough as fuck and have a pretty wide range of readings (6 settings, allowing you to measure radiation in amounts from 0-5 mR/h and from 0-200 R/h). They also have a bunch of nifty features like faux leather carrying cases, glow-in-the-dark control switches/dials and an illumination function that uses two of the world's most anemic lightbulbs to illuminate the main dial. Also, the DP-5B's appearance will give any Ruskie bakelite fanatic a boner.

I don't really trust them for serious purposes since none of them have been calibrated in years, but they are neat to own and mess around with.
>>
File: 1485968342474.jpg (650KB, 2022x1264px) Image search: [Google]
1485968342474.jpg
650KB, 2022x1264px
i use the AN udr17 for alpha and beta particles, and the AN pdr 77 for beta, gama and xray depending on the attachment at work so theres that at least
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.