[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good fixed blade to carry for work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: kabar_mk1_usn.jpg (647KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
kabar_mk1_usn.jpg
647KB, 1000x664px
Okay,

I work in contracting and find myself using my folding knife often opening bags, cutting strapping, etc. But something a but bigger would be useful. I work in some shit areas too so wouldn't mind having a larger knife on me either.

But what I am looking for is a good fixed blade all purpose utility knife. Nothing so big as a Ka-bar, I was thinking something similar to an old Navy MkI knife? What do you guys think, any good suggestions?
>>
>>33604853
A box cutter.
>>
>>33604862

> wouldn't mind having a larger knife on me
>Dur, box cutter
>>
>>33605003
They make large box cutters. Are you also implying that box cutters can not be used in a defensive situation? You don't want a tool, you want a fashion statement then retard.
>>
File: IMG_5238.jpg (145KB, 1037x691px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5238.jpg
145KB, 1037x691px
>>33604853
Full size KABAR is 7", which is illegal to carry in Texas. I scout carry a KABAR Short, which is comfy maneuverable and legal size.
>>
>>33604853
Buy a mora robust, it's a nice knife.
>>
Colonial knife company makes a Mk.1 with a polymer grip rather than the stacked leather, it weighs next to nothing and is probably cheaper than the Ka-bar.
>>
>>33605088

I am not trying to hijack a fuckin' airplane Muhammed. There are times to use a box cutter, there are times to use a knife. Box cutters are not exactly ergonomic to carry all the time, especially large ones like my Fatmax.

Stop projecting your faggotry onto me.
>>
>>33605319
Jesus you're retarded.
>>
>>33605328

Good rebuttal. I'm emailing Ka-Bar right now to tell them to stop knife production since there is no need now that we have box cutters.
>>
>>33605118

That looks like about the right size I'm going for. Thanks for the suggestion.

The mini Ka-bar and even the Mk1 seem a bit bigger than I really need.
>>
>>33605091
Doesn't something like this print very badly? Or is it not supposed to be concealed?
>>
>>33604853
I do the same thing and I use a little 2 inch folding kukri i got in a 2 pack for $11 at O'Reillys. It's pretty good imo perfect shape for hooking around to cut shit or skimming down the seam of a box to cut tape.
>>
>>33605091
>Tfw literally no knife regulations
Based Arkansas
>>
>>33608008
I forgot I was in the "America's never been in a real war" thread before I went to sleep
>>
>>33605364
Hey, hey, calm down autismo. No where did I say a fighting knife was not useful. I offered you a box cutter to which you sperged out.
>I can't be seen in public with a box cutter!
>it'll make people think I'm not an autist walking around with it instead of "operator knife xyz"
>I NEED people to think I'm cool by carrying around a military knife
So, yeah, it's your money, buy what ever you want.
>>
It depends.

First, will you use it to cut paper boxes or might need to open wooden nailed boxes using the knife as leverage or something of the like?
Second, are you outside in the rain or in a very humid place?

If you are using for cutting stuff a simple box cutter would do, you might want stainless steel over carbon steel. A 440c stainless steel knife is still hardy enough to not break easily and still cheaper than the carbon steel alternatives. It won't rust easily and require too little maintenance.

If you might use it for harder jobs, go carbon steel. A 1070 carbon steel knife is both hard and flexible and any decent one will not break before you do. Carbon steel needs maintenance and oil. If you get rain in it, clean it and oil it ASAP. To me this is kind of a hassle to do when I am working in the fields, so I rather leave it home and bring one in stainless steel instead. Risk to break under stress is bigger, but to cut rope it does not matter. Just don't try using it as a machete or axe and you are fine.

Size/weight depends on your preferences, but remember to avoid buying too big so it is more of a machete than a knife. A 6in-7in knife is good. Full tang is obligatory, no reason to not buy full tang unless you want to cheap out.
>>
>>33608079
Not OP, but you're sounding an awful lot like
>you can either use boxcutters as an edc or you can be a spergy sperglord

As for OPs question, might i suggest the schrade F14?
Pros:
>full tang, tank of a knife
>good blade geometry
>cheap
Cons:
>horrible handle scales
>not the sharpest due to its thickness

I have an F14 i bought for self defense. Im planning on putting on custom wood handle scales and i sharpened it up some

Maybe you could carry box cutters AND a defense knife?
>>
For a good fixed blade knife for a reasonable price get a Glock M78
>>
I really like the blade shape of the Mark 1 but have yet to find one with a grip that I like. Not to hot on the typical old school style.
>>
>>33604853
How large? If you just need a small fixed blade knife, check out the Izula or other similar neck knives.
>>
>>33604853
What are you cutting? If you're cutting wires and shit, partial serrations can be helpful.

I like SOG stuff. The seal Pup is a good knife.
>>
>>33608870
To be honest if I saw a contract man cutting wires using a knife I would not recommend him to anybody else.
>>
File: Profile-Fixed-Drop-Point_fulljpg.jpg (111KB, 1920x930px) Image search: [Google]
Profile-Fixed-Drop-Point_fulljpg.jpg
111KB, 1920x930px
My current work knife is

http://www.gerbergear.com/Activity/HUNT/Knives/Profile-Knife_22-41795

It does knife things. Dont need to carry much bigger.
>>
>>33609062
Eh. Sometimes you're away from the proper tools. If you need to cut a piece of 14 gauge wire every once in a while it's much more efficient to just use what you have in the immediate surroundings. But yeah if wire cutting is a regular occurrence, get proper cutters.
>>
>>33609121
I used one of these for a while. It worked quite well.
>>33604853
I found that bigger knives are actually less useful for opening bags/removing pallet wrap/cutting carpet/cutting straps than a little folding razor knife. I spent lots of time cleaning and sharpening my knife when I was using my Leatherman for tasks like that. YMMV

>OP ends up with pic related
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.