[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Glock still king of the lean, light, double-stack pistols?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170323_221439.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170323_221439.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
/k/, with all these competitors coming out with pistols that have better triggers, ergonomics, sights, etc. why has nobody been able to make a gun leaner and lighter than a Block? Or at least match them?

I've had a few Glocks, some M&Ps, a VP9, PPQ, some XDs, a Steyr M9, Canik TP9SF, Ruger SR9, and FN FNS and ALL are thicker and heavier than a Glock. Trying to match specific size/capacity classes, the competitors always come in taller as well. Shit, many of these like the PPQ, Canik and Steyr are the thickness/weight of the large frame .45 and 10mm Glocks.

What the fuck is the deal? There's no way Gaston got the concept 100% size/weight efficient on the first try. Someone else should be able to at least match him by now.

Pic related, old pic I took comparing some plastic 9mms. Beretta PX4, HK VP9, P320 Compact, G19, and an XDS-9. Not really looking at the XDS here as it's a single-stack, or at the PX4's height as it's a 17rnd full-size. The angle's shit but you can see how tall and wide the P320 and HK are compared to the Glock.

tl;dr why are competitors beating Glock at everything else but can't make something as size-efficient?
>>
>>33603367
Palm swells enhance ergonomics. Not everyone wants their gun to have flat slabs on the side.

Are you comparing the different size backstraps for the M&P?

Have you looked at the PX4 Compact Carry?

The different grip sizes for the P320?

The big thing nowadays for size-efficient concealment are single stacks anyway.
>>
>>33603481
>Are you comparing the different size backstraps for the M&P?

Yes. The gun's still heavier (although only marginally wider) than a G19, despite having a shorter barrel/slide.

>Have you looked at the PX4 Compact Carry?
Yes. A whole lot wider and heavier than a Glock.

>The different grip sizes for the P320?
Again, heavier and thicker.

I think you misinterpreted my OP. I'm not asking for more ergonomic guns, I just want to know why every single other polymer pistol is heavier and thicker than a Glock.

If the reason is "palm swells", only the VP9 has them. That doesn't explain why the P320, M&P, Steyr, PPQ, etc. are all the size/weight they are. Plus, all the guns are thicker in the slide. Even the smallest palm swells doesn't help that.
>>
>>33603578
Yeah fuck I misread your OP. I read lean and thought this was a thickness thread. If your entire point was weight, then Glock seems to have reached a critical point.

Even on my M&P Shield they take pains to make the slide thicker than a Glock 43 and for the frame rails to be thicker and removable from the frame rather than Glock's thin metal integrated into the frame.

I suppose since S&W/Sig/HK/Beretta's polymer pistol production volume is lower they prioritize efficient repairability of their guns while Glock has enough volume and margin that their warranty service for guns that undergo frame rail failure involves total replacement with a new gun.
>>
>>33603616
I thought about that, but Glocks are pretty full-retard when it comes to durability. Despite all the people putting tens or even hundreds of thousands of rounds through their Glocks, how often do you hear of a slide or frame failing? The only instance I know of was a cracked slide someone had raped by one of those boutique Glock chop shops, like Agency or Zev or something. I've never heard of a factory Glock failing like that.
>>
>>33603367
>Glocks, some M&Ps, a VP9, PPQ, some XDs, a Steyr M9, Canik TP9SF, Ruger SR9, and FN FNS
The basic bitches of the pistol world
>>
>>33603697
Que? Those aren't the only handguns I've had if that's what your implying, they're just what's relevant here. I'm not comparing the size/weight of a Glock to a CZ 75, 1911, Hi-Power, etc.
>>
>>33603648
I've seen a frame fail, but the was due to a defect in the polymer, a freak occurrence that probably never happens it must have slipped through quality control, it was a 2nd gen 17 btw.

Mechanically I've never seen a failure that wasn't due to bad ammo/magazine/wrong grip.
>>
>>33603648
according to that one guy who posted on arfcom about how guns handle being at his high usage range as rentals(battlefield LA i think) Glocks fairly regularly experience slide failures post 100k rounds.
>>
>>33604007
Really? I hadn't seem that. Interesting. How's that compare to other handguns?

The only other pistol I remember being documented near that round count was an M&P9 Todd Green was testing. The slide cracked at 62,333 but was deemed still safe to shoot.
>>
>>33604072
IIRC supposedly a similar thing happened with some Glocks. the frame cracked in a way that they could still probably be fired if you had too, but for safety sake they were removed. as i recall they faired worse durability wise than most HK, sig, and other all steel guns(1911 for example) durability wise, but tended to suffer less minor failures in general. Youd be best off looking up the thread on google, he did one on handguns and rifles, both are kinda informative as to how some designs handle long term use and slight neglect.
>>
>>33604153
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>33604153
oh the minor failures thing isnt in reference to HK and sig, they had very few if any small failures with them. 1911s were much more a problem child in that sense, little things tended to go wrong with them much more frequently.
>>
>>33604153
>>33604176
Yeah I presumed you were just talking about the 1911s.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.