[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clearing The House

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 12

File: home-defense-pistol.jpg (622KB, 1200x728px) Image search: [Google]
home-defense-pistol.jpg
622KB, 1200x728px
Is it better to just stay in your room with your gun and call 911 if you think someone is breaking in or should you clear the house?

What if someone violently charges you (unarmed) while in your house and you have to shoot them? Could the court say you should have just stayed in your room and not cleared your house? I assume this is basically what castle law was made for right?
>>
>>33602406
Yes
shoot them
depends on where
yea kinda, and the idea that maybe legally requiring people to demonstrate their lethal intent to you in a way that cant be misinterpreted by a zealous prosecutor was a bad idea.
things are a lot simpler after the fact if you just say they shouted something about killing you before charging.
>>
>>33602406
Depends on the state. Castle law=shoot. You'll still get fucked in civil court if they live.

>if

This reminds me of what I used to do with my roommate. Whenever one of us would get home, the other would hide with a weapon (unloaded for fucks sake) and they would practice clearing the house.

Probably a stupid idea if you don't trust them not to be a dumbshit, but was pretty fun. I miss my battle buddy.
>>
What if you tell an intruder to freeze and keep them under watch until the cops arrive

Do they get mad for you doing a citizen's arrest
>>
>>33602466

cops probably get mad whenever they have to deal with someone who also has a gun.
>>
In most states with a castle law or something similar you have "no duty to retreat". So you can clear your house and not get in trouble because you were not required to stay hidden in your room.
The reasonable man law states if a reasonable man would believe their life was in danger you can shoot.
So if somebody charges you, even if you don't see a weapon, a reasonable man would believe he intends them harm and could have a weapon concealed on them. So you can shoot.
Personally I have other people in the house, so I would need to clear to be sure they're all OK
>>
>>33602443
>Whenever one of us would get home, the other would hide with a weapon (unloaded for fucks sake) and they would practice clearing the house
Chief Inspector, is dat joo...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUD7FRStbY
>>
>>33602466

I'm also wondering

What if they try to run away? youobviously can't shoot them, can you pepper spray them or beat them with your gun butt so they don't get away? What if they pull a weapon when you try to do this? Can you still shoot them

Ive seen people tackle and submission hold shoplifters and stuff
>>
>>33602531
>What if they try to run away?

if they didn't steal anything who cares? they're more than likely not going to come back. and its not like you get a reward for catching criminals
>>
>>33602531

>What if they try to run away? youobviously can't shoot them

Well, I don't know. What if they placed a weapon in your house and are attempting to return to it? What if they have a weapon in their vehicle, or stashed outside somewhere? If you have an intruder in your house and they make a sudden movement, I mean, you have to do what you have to do to protect yourself and your family.
>>
>>33602612

what does a robber have to gain from running away after being caught just to run right back in after the cops were called?
>>
>>33602571
What if they come back better prepared now that they know you have a gun
>>
>>33602670

Not really your business. All you know is that you were scared for your life, you thought he was going to kill you, and you did what you felt you had to do to protect yourself.
>>
>>33602443
>You'll still get fucked in civil court if they live.
illlinois absolves home defender from liability as part of this state's castle doctrine
>>
Shoot first, ask questions later. I love living in a stand your ground state.
>>
>>33602695
>>33602697

what bizzaro world do you live in where robbers WILLINGLY try to rob someone they know has a gun? especially someone that has CAUGHT THEM ONCE ALREADY.
>>
>>33602406

I can't. I have kids, so I'm leaving the room to retrieve them. Wife would lock herself in the room with her AR and be on the phone witb cops. I'll go and barricade myself in the kids room with my rifle. We wait it out
>>
>>33602765

If they were smart, they wouldn't be criminals, anon.

Besides, as I noted, the motives and logic of intruders within your household aren't your business. All you know is that there's someone in your house and virtually any physical action he might take is a possible threat to your life.
>>
>>33602765

Crack heads. Or the same people will be kicking down the door, while person on the other side tells them they got a gun and will shot them, they still keep kicking away.
>>
>>33602812
>>33602823

at this point you guys are just making up excuses to execute a robber who is no longer a threat. i don't give a fuck if you kill a guy breaking into your house but if he's given up its downright wrong to kill them.
>>
>>33602612
You can try to put them under a citizen's arrest. but even cops aren't allowed to just shoot fleeing non violent crims these days. frankly the idea that they'll come back is pretty silly, the vast majority of criminals are very risk adverse. even if they did try again it would almost certainly be when they were sure you weren't home in an attempt to steal your guns.
>>
>>33602794
good plan
let cops know you forted up with your guns though.
>>
>>33602861

>i don't give a fuck if you kill a guy breaking into your house but if he's given up its downright wrong to kill them.

Meh.

>>33602863

>but even cops aren't allowed to just shoot fleeing non violent crims these days.

Not in public places in broad daylight. Within your domicile in the middle of the night, when you just woke up and your family's one room over, that's another matter.

Besides, he was neither non-violent nor fleeing, he made a sudden movement that, at 3 AM in the pitch black, you interpreted as an attempt to access a deadly weapon to be used against you. You were scared for your life, you thought he was going to kill you, and you did what you had to do to protect yourself and your family.
>>
>>33602861

Not my fault he broke in. Maybe he should of made better life choices, instead of doing some B&E.
>>
>>33602406
It's really more from the standpoint that clearing a house by yourself is hard, even when it's your own house.

But hey, if you feel like it, go ahead.
>>
>>33602970
Yea, that's not really the kind of situation i think we're addressing here. also, even a story like that's gonna possibly end up with you in court with the wrong prosecutor if the shootee is unarmed and was shot multiple times in the back
>>
>>33602968

I try. My wife at first never cared about that shit. After we had kids, she got more into prepping for that sort of crap.
>>
>>33602406
>Is it better to just stay in your room with your gun and call 911 if you think someone is breaking in or should you clear the house?

You should already have studied your own house layout and planned a place for an initial defensive stand, and fallback positions. Don't try to clear the house unless you're really well trained to do it (and even stupider to go outside the house looking for them). Shooting bad guys that pop their heads up in view of your position is fine, of course, at least in most states (study your own state laws).

>What if someone violently charges you (unarmed) while in your house and you have to shoot them?

Varies by state. But if they've already broken into the house and physically charge you, then most states say it's fine to shoot to stop. Study your own state laws.
>>
>>33603026

>Yea, that's not really the kind of situation i think we're addressing here.

Of course it is. You can't discern the motives of someone who has willingly entered your home, who has already broken the law by trespassing on your property, B&E by entering your home, wanting God knows what, maybe he just wants cash or TVs but maybe he's a rapist, maybe he's a serial killer. He's probably coked out of his mind or on angel salts or bath dust or some shit, someone like that is unhinged and prone to sudden outbursts of violent acts. Especially when he gets surprised by the homeowner, pointing a gun in his face, he's liable to try anything, he can't go back to jail. Can you really expect some crackhead criminal to act rationally in that moment of desperation? Of course not, this guy is a loose cannon, a danger to yourself and your family, and he's just an arm's length away from you, could be on top of you in a fraction of a second. You can't put yourself and your family at risk trying to determine what this maniac is trying to do when he jumps around or takes off somewhere.
>>
File: 1473999249091.jpg (85KB, 1253x731px) Image search: [Google]
1473999249091.jpg
85KB, 1253x731px
>>33602466
The answer to that question is that you dont hold them at gun point. Why would you want a potentially dangerous individual hanging out in your house until the police arrive? The better solution is to immediately order them to leave. The less interaction you have with the perpetrator the less likely you are to do something that could get you nailed by the prosecution and the less time the intruder has to formulate a plan of attack against you.
>>
File: das it mane .png (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
das it mane .png
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>33603645
So better idea is to let the potentially dangerous individually to just go and possibly return or do it to someone else? I live in Florida, i'd shoot them.
>>
>>33603703
Im trying to providing advice that would look best in court
>>
>>33602406
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/31/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-3-victims-broke-into-property-earlier-that-day.html

he was found guilty of NOTHING, and he shot all three with an AR.

also it depends on the state.
>>
>>33602516
god youre old....
>>
Honestly I would stay in my room for a number of reasons

1.I don't really have anything valuable outside of there. If I had family or kids it would be a different story.

2.I'm no Navy Seal. I have no formal training in room clearing, so avoiding it in an HD scenario is better. It's best to keep it simple when you have the adrenaline pumping and all that shit. I'd be much more accurate from a fixed position

3.The door jam makes a great line between "shoot" and "don't shoot." If someone in my house advances into my room after being told to leave then I'd have no reason to hesitate in shooting them, and legally I'd have very little going against me for doing so.

4.When the cops come I want them to know exactly where I am so they are less likely to accidentally shoot me.
>>
>>33603811
>letting it get to court
>>
File: 1487206099230.jpg (55KB, 625x262px) Image search: [Google]
1487206099230.jpg
55KB, 625x262px
>>33602861

>have family
>guy breaks into my house
>sees my qt wife and daughter
>wants to rape them
>sees all my nice belongings
>sees I'm a weapons owner
>I hold him at gun point and get him arrested and press charges
>he comes out of prison literally just a few months later
>angry and vindictive plans a way to catch me off guard and rape my family and kill them and steal my belongings

Hey but at least Im not some crazy murderous redneck kkk neo Nazi Hitler lover, right Mr.SJW?

He breaks into my house I'm getting rid if that problem to society right then and there. I'll just say he reached for his waistband.
>>
File: IMG_4721.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4721.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I live above my garage so first they would have to break in downstairs and my balcony is above that door. Then they would have to walk up my stairs, 14 foot garage ceiling. They be winded and out of breath. Then they will have to break in the door to get inside the living area at which time I will go into the bedroom and shoot through the wall into the stairway
>>
>>33602406
Hear a noise. Check if cat is next to me. Grab 9mm at bedside. Clear rooms. If someone is there they are dead. Then 911 is called.

They collect evidence, take my 9mm. I clean up blood.

Then go to gun safe, pull out new 9mm. Start again.
>>
>>33602758
Thats not stand your ground, its castle doctrine. Jesus christ.

How do people not understand the fucking difference.
>>
File: 1489577494248.png (146KB, 223x223px) Image search: [Google]
1489577494248.png
146KB, 223x223px
>>33602406
>hide in room
>call cops
>cops have no obligation to protect you, only to enforce the law and this was a supreme court decision
>cops don't do anything to help you except surround the area and prevent the intruder from fleeing because they don't want to get shot
>congratulations you are now a potential hostage
>>
>>33602406
>What if someone violently charges you (unarmed) while in your house and you have to shoot them?

Depends on the state and I would read your local laws. For example, Arizona says that if someone breaks into your home you are fully within your right to shoot them regardless of their "potential threat" to you. Hawaii however, says you have an obligation to flee.
>>
File: 1290045149755.jpg (44KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
1290045149755.jpg
44KB, 640x481px
>>33603811
>not dumping the body in the everglades to be eaten by crocs
>>
File: 1337568241573.gif (33KB, 630x526px) Image search: [Google]
1337568241573.gif
33KB, 630x526px
>>33602443
>Depends on the state. Castle law=shoot. You'll still get fucked in civil court if they live.

No state in the union is going to prosecute you for shooting someone who broke into your house, unless there is something fishy about the shooting (the guy was shot in the back, shot after he ran away, etc.)
>>
>>33605584
pfft, farmland is better. You bury them in Corn field. 20 years later a machine rips them apart working the soil. If they do notice a bone (unlikely) they will had ruined all chance of figuring out what the hell happened.
>>
>>33605277
>>cops have no obligation to protect you, only to enforce the law and this was a supreme court decision

I feel like people missed the point of this ruling. It was to prevent fuckheads from suing their local PD after getting their shit took while walking down Rape Boulevard at 3am because the PD didn't prevent it from happening.
>>
>>33605651
I mean I'm aware of that and I don't necessarily think it's a wrongful ruling. But the practical reality of it is that you shouldn't assume the police will rescue you.
>>
>>33602406
Are you afraid and happy enough to live, or are you tired of fear and not afraid to die?

>>33605651
My PD responded close to 15+ minutes after the call when there is no traffic on the streets at night in the suburbs. It does not matter when the police are immune to civil cases.
>>
>>33602531
Texas allows you to shoot in certain circumstances.

>old man
>hears next door neighbor getting burglarized
>911 tells him not to get gun and help
>old man says "these (mumbles) keep getting away
>two people run out of the house
>old man shoots them
Cleared of charges or no charges.

I'm pretty sure the provision is that it has to be at night and or they conducted a felony
>>
File: IMG_9421.jpg (297KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9421.jpg
297KB, 816x612px
>>33602406
If it's just me or me and my wife I'm staying put in my bedroom. Dial 911. Let the cops come. No material possession is worth the possibility of dying via trying to clear the house / killing Tyrone and fucking up the carpets.

If there's kids / guests in the house then yeah you have a duty to push through and deal with the threat.

>so Mr anon why did you shoot poor Tyrone, who was a good boy, in the back as he ran away from you?! Did you want to kill a poor African American boy?

>well he was running towards my 3 year old daughters bedroom

Is much better than

>well he broke in and was going to steal my xbox
>>
>>33605672
I didnt know thatcher was in the entry team, no wonder the terrorists lost.
>>
>>33602406
Finish them off and get rid of the body.
Home invaders are usually street shit,so nobody would notice them missing.
>>
>>33603881
It's not Phil's fault you're uncultured swine
>>
>>33606124
law enforcement is not immune from civil suits. who was Rodney King. an officer can be sued professionally, personally, along with the department and city/town/county.

the fact that so many people here don't know their SYG/CD laws is astounding. In NC, you can shoot someone in your home if you have a reasonable belief that an unlawful and forcible entry has occurred to your home, or is in progress of occurring. once all illegal action had ceased and the attacker disengages (running away), you can't shoot. if it's a clean shoot then you're relieved of all criminal charges and given civil immunity.

secondly, clearing your house is retarded unless you absolutely HAVE to such as family being on the other side of the house. LE doesn't clear houses by themselves unless they absolutely have to, and regular training is given on that. the fantasies of clearing out your house room by room are stupid. you're then at a disadvantage because you're intruding into their territory. You don't know anything except the layout of the house. If they come to you, then they're now on your terms and you have the drop on them, along with fighting from a fortified area.
>>
>>33602968
That part of letting the cops know is key. If possible dont have anything in hand once they are on scene and perp is down, fled, or in custody as they will be amped up and a bit jumpy
>>
>>33604811
Solid overall and uses strengths while minimizing weaknesses. Only time I would clear would be if kids are not in bed. At that point anything over 3ft is open season
>>
>>33602794
>people in unknown locations all over the house.
>woman with a rifle
No.
>>
>>33604811
>assuming a home intruder is reasonable and might leave when told to.
>giving away your position.

If hes armed he might be clearing rooms himself. Your plan probably involves telling him your armed too. Congratulations, you just started a duel instead of ambushing from the dark.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.