[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginner Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

Forgive me if its against the rules, I did check the catalog.

I just started to get into guns because of HER and inheriting my grandfathers collection of assorted rifles/shotguns. After the Orlando shooting I went out and bought pic related(Not actually mine)

All of this is kind of overwhelming, I was wondering if you guys could direct me to some good resources for starting out or drop some wisdom in this thread about noobie stuff I shouldn't fall prey to. Every time I check /k/ there's something that alarms me.

Today its learning that I should be storing my ammo with desiccant packages if I'm not rotating stock a lot. (I have about 1200 Rounds of 5.56)

Questions to start thread
>How often should I be cleaning my gun? Does /k/ recommend any great kits for this
>How should I store my weapon? I currently have it in the case I bought it
>How can I figure out what types of guns I have? (Once I get home I'll post what I inherited from my grandfather)
>The gun store owner told me my gun can fire .223 or 5.56, whats the difference and what would you recommend?
>Top advice for new gun enthusiasts?

I was exposed to guns a lot through my grandfather in my youth but never was really 'into it' until getting his collection once he lost the will/energy to be hunting. I'm finding all the minutia very extensive/overwhelming. Thank you in advance for your responses.
>>
File: 33228.jpg (236KB, 800x665px) Image search: [Google]
33228.jpg
236KB, 800x665px
>>33599053
>How often should I be cleaning my gun? Does /k/ recommend any great kits for this

Wipe down the barrel and bolt face when you bring it home, and see image for lube (thanks, arfcom).

If you have a safe, put it in there. If you don't, consider buying one. If you don't want to or can't monetarily, just keep it in a regular gun bag or hard case and set it in the closet. I keep mine on my wall.

>How can I figure out what types of guns I have? (Once I get home I'll post what I inherited from my grandfather)
We're waiting.

>The gun store owner told me my gun can fire .223 or 5.56, whats the difference and what would you recommend?
No difference. 55gr FMJ is fine for plinking and anything you're gonna want to do. Hornady makes good match ammo that you won't benefit from yet.

Don't fucking pull the trigger until either you've looked into the chamber and verified it's empty, or you're on target. If you point your gun at me I will point my gun right back.

I've had bad luck with aluminum mags in my NYAR, but pmag10s have worked beautifully. You're going to have to be extra careful with your rifle, because I'm willing to bet that you can set the rifle to fire, but not back to safe with your firing hand thanks to that stock.
>>
>>33599289
Thank you for your responses. When you say wipe down he barrel and faceplate what do you mean? Also if I'm reading right I should learn how to disassemble and assemble the AR right? Should I clean and lube it after every time at the range?

I do know the basic rules of gun safety my grandfather drilled that into me to the point where my friends think I'm too autistic but they don't get it at all. I'd rather be OCD and alive than lax and dead
>>
>>33599356
yes, yes, and it's not mandatory but yeah.

A cleaning kit will have a cleaning rod with a slit in one end of it. You put cleaning material on the rag that comes with it, push it through the slit about half way, and then push/pull that through the barrel.

You see the star-shaped bit at the end of the bolt carrier in the image posted? That's the bolt face. Make sure you get into the corners.

Disassembling the AR is pulling the rear pin (by the safety) and hinging the rifle down. Pull the charging handle and the charging handle + bolt carrier will come out. The front pin also comes out.
>>
>How often should I be cleaning my gun? Does /k/ recommend any great kits for this.
I clean my guns after each range trip, I fire at least 200 rounds each time. Cleaning frequency is up to you but you should at least wipe off the carbon with a cloth after each trip. Kits are mostly a bunch of unnecessary crap imo. Get a one-piece brass/aluminum/carbon fiber rod that is long enough to go through all your barrels. Get nylon bore brushes for the rod that match the calibers you're cleaning. Get brass jags in appropriate calibers to ram cotton patches down the bore. You can buy cotton patches or cut up an old t-shirt. Use a microfiber cloth for general purpose wiping. Buy Sweets 7.62 solvent to clean copper fouling. Use brake cleaner for general purpose cleaning. Buy a lubricant and a protectant, or a CLP for dual purpose lube and protection.
>How should I store my weapon? I currently have it in the case I bought it.
Storing it in the case is fine, it should be lockable. Consider getting a fireproof safe when you own multiple guns. Stick some silica gel packets in the case to absorb moisture.
Just post pictures on /k/ when you get them.
.223 is the "civilian" version of 5.56. They have identical exterior dimensions but the 5.56 has a stronger interior so it can handle stronger pressures. A 5.56 rifle is built to handle 5.56 so it can handle the weaker .223, but a .223 rifle shouldn't fire 5.56.
Don't use steel tools on precision steel parts, you'll chip something. Always use a softer metal like brass or aluminum on parts that have to meet certain tolerances.
>>
>>33599053
>>The gun store owner told me my gun can fire .223 or 5.56, whats the difference and what would you recommend?
5.56 has higher pressures but you shouldn't worry about it if the gun is rated for both.
>>
.>>33599975
>>33600015

Thank you for the replies. Heres what I currently have. Can get close ups for anyone interested.
>>
File: GC.png (3MB, 1383x830px) Image search: [Google]
GC.png
3MB, 1383x830px
>>33600320
oops heres the pic
>>
File: 20170410_165412.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170410_165412.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>33600354
Bonus, guess it counts as a weapon
>>
>>33599975
This guy knows what he's talking about about .223 vs 5.56.
You can shoot 5.56 in a .223 and it'll probably be fine. The only place you'll really run into a chamber thin enough to run the risk of exploding would be in a lab setting.
>>
>>33600354
Damn OP, you have a great collection to start out with.Also, what state do you live in? I have a compliant AR as well but with a different grip.
>>
>>33600498
NY, really hate the way the grip looks. I'll be honest I impulse purchased the AR because it was a kind of a meme at the time but I don't regret the purchase, its fun to shoot the 3 times I've gone and I'm very accurate with it
>>
OP here, whats the best site to get up to date info on laws in NY regarding guns? I don't want to be caught with an illegal weapon. I want to stay up to date. They sold me the AR with 2 10 Round mags but what Im reading now says the limit is 7??
>>
>>33600376
that iron eagle tho
>>
File: 20170410_165419.jpg (2MB, 2403x4272px) Image search: [Google]
20170410_165419.jpg
2MB, 2403x4272px
>>33600639
heres the blade
>>
>>33600708
That looks collectable as fuck
>>
File: 003.png (653KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
003.png
653KB, 800x450px
>>33600534
>>33600589
I'm in NY too, my AR has a grip like pic related with a fixed stock. I think the grip you have looks kind of cool, it looks like a space gun. The 7 round limit was thrown out in court, 10 rounds are the limit. Just Google "new york gun laws" and check out the first link.
>>
>>33600708
fake/repro
>>
>>33600725
Maybe, supposedly its my great grandfather or great grand uncle's hitler youth knife, never really pried for answers. We don't talk about the Nazi stuff. Used to have a big flag from a german naval fire ship as well as a firemans helmet but my liberal hippy mom sold most of it on ebay when times were tight. The only thing left is this knife, an iron cross, and a luger my grandfather mentions to me sometimes but I've never seen it.

Dont even know if any of it is real, don't really care, I'd never sell it. Any tips to keep the blade looking as good as it does are welcome
>>
>>33600780
Whats the give-away? Not doubting you, theres some hazy family history surrounding the knife, my senile great grandmother just past and she was the last to have been alive in Germany during the War. It could very well be fake, most of the nazi stuff my grand dad had was given to him because he was the only german around people knew and they didn't want to be caught with it, they assumed he liked that stuff but honestly he was semi-ashamed and it all stayed in a cupboard gathering dust till my mom sold a bunch of it
>>
>>33600771
How do you like that grip and how much did you pay for it?
>>
File: my ar.jpg (904KB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
my ar.jpg
904KB, 2080x1560px
>>33600771
I've got this too.

>>33600845
The one I have I got a special trigger guard with so you can hook your middle finger around it and pull the gun tighter into your shoulder. It was about $15-20 for the grip and $20 for the trigger guard I think.
>>
>>33599053
>storing my ammo with desiccant packages
Balls. Not unless you live somewhere warm and humid.

Every time you shoot them extensively. A Hoppe's cleaning kit for that caliber has everything you want.

That's fine. You may eventually want a locking gun cabinet.

Uh.... look at them?

Non-issue with any modern factory weapon.

Go to Amazon and buy the NRA guides to gun safety, home defense, and whatever else strikes your fancy.
>>
>>33600845
>>33600905

I want that trigger guard but I have one on my AR already, hopefully it's not too much of a pain to replace. I just use my middle finger on the trigger, I really don't mind it apart from how it looks.
>>
New York reporting in. There are so many new Yorkers. Why don't we have a New York /k/ meet up?
>>
>>33601275
because they'd probably call the cops on us.
brooklyn sucks
>>
>>33599053
>today I learned I should be storing my ammo with desiccant packets
It's not necessary unless you're storing it in a non-climate-controlled building or you're shooting uncoated steel-cased ammo (Tula). Your HVAC system should be keeping your home under 70% humidity, which is below the point of brass corroding to the point of causing issues within your lifetime.
>How often should I be cleaning my gun?
Ideally every time you shoot it, but ultimately with most firearms it makes very little difference as long as you're storing it properly and not shooting corrosive surplus ammo.
>Does /k/ recommend any great kits for this
Hoppe's makes an okay "universal" cleaning kit that should be able to be found in Walmart and most chain sporting goods stores for $19.99, but honestly I recommend you piece one together for yourself. 1 piece cleaning rod (this is a quality-of-life thing, takedown rods are kind of a PITA to use a lot and are more fragile), Hoppe's #9 copper solvent, [any of about 100 different lubricating oils, do not use your copper solvent as an oil], a phosphor-bronze bristle brush and a metal patch jag for every caliber you own, a big-assed bag of 12ga patches, and a pair of cheap scissors to cut them to size for smaller calibers.
>How should I store my weapon?
Ideally in a safe. Barring that, out of its case but somewhere concealed so if you DO get robbed it's not just out in plain sight.
>I currently have it in the case I bought it
Take it out of the case. Cardboard or open-cell foam trap moisture and promote rust, and being in a closed case you're not getting the air circulation to dry it back out.
Make, model, caliber, and serial number should be stamped on it somewhere.
>>
>>33601275
1. Fun is illegal in your state
2. The few people who own guns live in the northern wilds, and you have a big state so travel would be onerous
3. Too likely to get one of the weirdos from the southern metro area
4. Everyone's embarrassed to be seen in public with their nySAFE abortions
>no longer live there but had been in Watertown for 4 years
>>
>>33601275
Western New York here, I'd love if there was a meetup but I'm sure some stupid law prevents it. Maybe it would be fun for us to come together and laugh at each other's cucked ARs.
>>
Can you ship 80% lowers to NY?
>>
>>33601509
You should include a nylon brush as well. Can't scrub a bore with copper solvent and a bronze brush and expect good results.
>>
>>33602499
Yeah you can.
>>
>>33602476
>western ny
What county? I'm in schuyler
>>
>>33601275
Transporting a gun in the state or across state lines is a tremendous risk for police harassment and confiscation, even if you've technically done nothing wrong. NY blocks off the north tip of New England from everything basically.
>>
>>33601509
This guys post is the best.

I have never cleaned my AR, but I don't shoot dogshit ammo.
>>
>>33600708
>
need better pics that are in focus, could be real. if its real its probably worth more than any one rifle you have, could be worth up to a couple grand. they are heavily faked/reproduced though

>>33600354
youll have to check the chambers or barrels or take to a gunsmith to have him cast and check the chamberings on most of those rifles if you arent sure of the caliber. they are all basically custom looking sporter guns with the exception of a couple factory pieces i spot right away, like the savage 99 on the bottom and browning/remington on the right, and the lever gun
>>
>>33599053
>advice for beginner
Okay.
You have your AR.
Now save and find something fun before you get bored.
Try an AK or old Mauser (JG sales has some Spanish ones for $175ish, but I'd say save a bit more and get a Yugoslavian one because they're actually easier to feed)

Get a pistol of some form, a full sized service one, and get good with it.
See how accurate and how fast you can be with it.
Buy a few mags and practice reloads.

Then try some old surplus pistols.
Yeah they're harder to feed but there really isn't anything quite like shooting a gun that's older than your great grandfather and built by someone who you'd never actually be able to hold a conversation with and used in wars between countries that don't even exist anymore.
>>
>>33603650
Not him but I'm in Erie.
>>
>>33599053
>I was wondering if you guys could direct me to some good resources for starting out or drop some wisdom in this thread about noobie stuff I shouldn't fall prey to. Every time I check /k/ there's something that alarms me.

lurk more

that's literally all you need to know
>>
>>33600376
You have little hands like trump.. are you a supporter of trump as well with those little hands>?<
>>
>How often should I be cleaning my gun?
Does /k/ recommend any great kits for this
I clean my sks whenever i feel like it. i dont shoot corrosive, so i don't have to worry about that salt chemical shit. if you have a modern semi auto "fighting rifle" and didn't use corrosive ammo in it, it should be fine for at least 1000 rounds.

in a safe if at all possible. if thats not an option, i recommend putting it in the gun bag / case with the bolt removed and put somewhere else / in the bag.
pot here, we'll help you as best we can.

pressure. there really is no "better or worse". i just is what it is. take heed, guns marked .223 cannot usually safety use 5.56, but guns marked 5.56 can use both.

don't fall for fudd lore and gimmicks.
>>
File: 1490058895442.gif (495KB, 618x648px) Image search: [Google]
1490058895442.gif
495KB, 618x648px
>>33599053
>10 round assault clip
>that fucking crutch stock
We need to firebomb California for 180 days endlessly day and night every single hour on the hour. These "people" does deserve to exist in our Nation and are a threat to everyone.
>>
>>33600845
I got a AR with that grip, you can find them on gunbroker as a "receiver spur" for like 20-30bux.

Its a bit strange as first but better then the crutch thing IMO in looks and comfort. You need to brace the gun against your arm for any trigger hand only handling unless you have hulk wrist strength.

I got some grippy rail protectors so its easier to brace the gun without the extra pistol grip and it works well for me.
>>
>>33606365
That's a jew york gun. it'd pass in CA, but we're not that bad yet.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.