[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck happened to the US gun industry? 50 to 60 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: R51-Profile-LeftFlat.jpg (88KB, 1200x880px) Image search: [Google]
R51-Profile-LeftFlat.jpg
88KB, 1200x880px
What the fuck happened to the US gun industry? 50 to 60 years ago, the US was pumping out top-tier firearms. Now, several of the classic gun manufacturers have become shit, like Remington did, and most new companies are only interested in making AR-15 clones. The only good "old" companies left are Ruger and S&W.

The US still makes great premium and botique ammo, but plinking ammo and making new rounds for things like milsurp has been mostly taken over by foreign companies.

Pic related.
>>
>>33593230
I think Henry is pretty worthy, too. Kinda fudd-ish for /k/, but they make good stuff.
>>
Gun industry became overreliant on Military contracts, which got made worse in the last 50 years due to broad gun bans constricting the market and the military having all but ditched domestic weapons production for the Waffles.
This has led to previously reputable countries falling into either complete disarray (Colt, Marlin, Remington, everyone Freedom Group), outsourcing their products with a subsequent drop in quality control (Taurus and the other Brazilian wonders), or narrowing their production capabilities to tiny profitable niche bubbles in constant danger of bursting, which stifles innovation (every Gucci AR company, every fudd-friendly budget durr rifle company, etc)
>>
>>33593230
The reason every company out there makes AR clones is that that's what people want to buy. Ever notice how literally every thread here where someone asks for buying advice turns into an echo chamber of "Buy an AR"?

>"I'm looking for a .22 plinker..."
>Buy an AR!
>"I'm on a budget and need something for home defense"
>Buy an AR!
>"I need a nice deer hunting rifle..."
>Buy an AR!
>"I'm a 21 year old girl and want a CCW for my purse"
>Buy an AR!
>"I'm new to milsurp collecting, and..."
>Buy an AR!
>"I really like bolt action rifles, so I'm looking for..."
>Buy an AR!
>"Shotgun thread!"
>Buy an AR!
>"Patch thread!"
>Buy an AR!

And you wonder why gun companies churn them out by the millions?
>>
File: 1477429050977.jpg (10KB, 425x200px) Image search: [Google]
1477429050977.jpg
10KB, 425x200px
*cough*
>>
>>33593356
Welcome to modern /k/

This place is dead. Leave with what good memories you already carry.
>>
>>33593230
what is actually wrong with these? I don't mean this in a facetious way, I've got experience with them firsthand and I don't understand how they have so many issues. when testing it (not my pistol, a friend's) it cycled brass case ammo perfectly but with steel case ammo (tested tula and Winchester steel case) it has nosedive malfunctions every single mag. how?
>>
>>33593356
To follow up THAT wondrous piece of prose...
A lot of threads devolve into shitting on the AR because of the same reasons you mentioned before your greentext.
>>
>>33593230

Respected name brands in the firearms field were purchased by larger companies. These parent companies have one goal, which, really, is the same as the goal of the smaller company before: make a profit.

While the smaller company likely understood their craft and product, or maybe the owners truly wanted to build a quality product, the new parents want sheer profits. To this end, costs go down and sales are driven forward riding, for a while, on the name and reputation of what the company used to be.

I don't work in firearms, but the large company I work for was purchased/merged last year and the new parents don't seem to have a fucking clue what's going on in our side of the operation, other than we keep telling them how their changes are going to fail prior to being forced to implement them and watching them fail.
>>
The new R51 is fine, though.
>>
File: luger.jpg (2MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
luger.jpg
2MB, 2048x1365px
>>33593230
we won ww2 and our country was basically untouched by the war, so our economy boomed
cars, guns, houses ect. we dominated everyone for decades

now other countries have caught up, and a bunch of laws have cucked gun rights in our country. Not that Europe is any better by the make things more specifically for the military market
also krauts know how to make damn good weapons
>>
>>33593230
Recovery of other nations post ww2 and the rise of the third world into semi-respectable manufacturing centers.

AKA the free market and globalism
>>
Corporate mindset takeover, same as every other industry.
>we could make our products with love, care, and extreme attention to detail
>or we could pump out as much as we possibly can for a wider profit margin lol
>>
>>33593928
/thread
>>
>>33593252
I can second this, i've killed like 10,00000 (12) fucking deer with my Big Boy .357
>>
>>33593928
The way capitalism is suppose to work is like this:
>Company makes something, it's good; people buy it.
>Other company makes better product people buy it instead.

How it really works:
>Really great company owner gets bought out by corporation.
>Quality goes to shit
>Company owner opens new business.
>Corporation buys it out.
>Corporation defaults after buying too much shit.
>Corporation gets bought out by new stockholders.
>Buys company owner's company(again)
>Cycle repeats itself.

And then you have companies like Microsoft that just buy everything because fuck it, they have infinite money.
>>
>>33593449
F
But also, I need to know which company so I do not buy said products.
>>
>>33593230
>gun manufacturers have become shit, like Remington did
The ignorance here is hilarious.

Let me know how exactly Remington, who make the best AR-10s on the market, are shit.

>inb4 you claim their QC is shit, it's not, you just buy their cheapest rifles because you are poor
>>
>>33594009
capitalism is a flawed mechanism and should be destroyed. a state controlled market is the only option at this point.
>>
>>33593230

>why is manufacturing in the most highly taxed and regulated country in the world on the decline?

Gee, I fucking wonder.
>>
>>33594009
>The way capitalism is suppose to work is like this:
>Bunch of bullshit
Uhh how about no? Capitalism is "I want to make/sell X. If people want X, I will profit." Capital flowing freely between individuals in a way that is mutually beneficial to all parties involved.
>>
>>33594065
[citation needed]
>>
>>33594103

https://taxfoundation.org/corporate-income-tax-rates-around-world-2016/

Puerto Rico doesn't count since it's a US territory,
and the UAE isn't 1st world. And it's corrupt, so they don't actually collect at that tax rate.
>>
>>33593230
One of the real big ones is how expensive the labor of a real craftsman has become, and how decimated the labor pool of people suited to become craftsmen has become.

Basically blame the college promoting aspects of the American education pipeline and the fact that craftsmanship is resistant to the automation that has reduced the price of everything else until the price of craftsmanship hasn't kept up in the race to the bottom that all other consumer goods are participating in.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.