[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this chart accurate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: homocide rate.png (234KB, 652x523px) Image search: [Google]
homocide rate.png
234KB, 652x523px
Does this chart prove that guns are not a significant element in homicide rate, or is this just a poorly made meme?
>>
>>33581758
No way homicides were so low in the wild west.
They just weren't counted, especially if you weren't white
>>
>>33581802

It was more of really low pollution and also Indian raids or white raids on Indians don't count as homicides
>>
The last part is pretty valid, I question statistics from before 1900.

Homicide dropped by 50% in between 1990 and 2010.

I personally credit abortion, unleaded gasoline, the price of crack collapsing, and mass incarceration.

Certainly, it demonstrates that more guns does not equal more crime.

It's worth pointing out that in the same period of time, Australia banned all the guns, and their homicide rate has gone up.
>>
>>33581802
>No way homicides were so low in the wild west.

The "wild west" was a circus show. The reality is things were very boring and any adjustment for discrepancies wouldn't significantly affect the stats. Also there were only 38 states back in the early 1880's
>>
>>33581802
Partially that, partially because the violence was over-exaggerated.
>>
>>33581758
Is this death rate or homicide attempts (including unsuccessful)? because there are strong factors reducing death rate in modern society:
1. General progress of emergency medicine
2. Cell phones proliferation that immensely improves ER reaction time.
>>
>>33581802
>wild west
people were more concerned with freezing, starving, getting sick, or losing their livestock than shooting each other over a poker game like you see in the movies
>>
>>33581758
Poorly made meme, mostly because most homicide records prior to the ~1930s are just educated guesses since in was in the 1930s that Federal Law Enforcement really became a thing and accurate country wide statistics could be kept. Prior to 1930 only municipalities/counties kept their own records and for a variety of reason municipal records from 1860-1930 are fairly unreliable.

The late 1960s and early 1970s were a pretty turbulent time given everything was just fucked up. Blaming the rise in crime to anything other than the widespread civil unrest of the era would be wrong.

It also over looks the fact that most of the 1970s to the 1980s were in pretty bad flat economic conditions. It also leaves out the wave on gun control actions taken in the late 1980s and 1990s post-Reagan assassination attempt.

>>33581890
>unleaded gasoline
I'm sure you are trying to make some dumbass quip but there is pretty good evidence to support the idea that lower levels of lead in peoples bodies has helped in recent years to lower violent crime.

>>33582024
Also good points.
>>
>>33582766
No, I was pointing that out.

>lead concentrations in tissues are strongly correlated with criminal behavior
>leaded gasoline is banned
>one generation later, homicide rates start falling like a communist in 70s Latin America

I also suspect that LBJ's Great Society played a role.

The most effective anti-crime efforts in general are only felt one generation after they start, because it's easier to stop a child from growing up into a killer than it is to stop a killer from killing.
>>
>>33581802
believing (((Hollywood))) propaganda
>>
>>33581758
if you listen to the president, people are killing each other left and right at a rate never before seen
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.