/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosmoline removal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
I'm using the black bag laying in the sun method for removing the cosmoline from my gun. Is there anything I can do (other than locking away in my car) to increase the heat levels to remove more cosmoline in less time? I thought about putting the bag under/in a large container to act as a greenhouse.
>>
File: 1459955899077.gif (1MB, 320x284px) Image search: [Google]
1459955899077.gif
1MB, 320x284px
Oven.
>>
>>33578899
Breathe on it.
>>
>>33578899
Put a towel in the bottom of a bucket and then put your gun muzzle down on the towel.

Then take a hair dryer on high and starting from the chamber hold it about and inch from the gun until the cosmoline melts out.

Have another towel on hand to wipe the excess away.

You will never get all the cosmoline out of the stock unless you refinish it.
>>
>>33578899
soak in bathtub
>>
Halogen work lamps. As many of you know, they get fucking hot. If you have one of thise two head ones, point them at each other and move the stock inbetween. Youll see the cosmo seep out quite a bit. The downside being, its best if your there holding it
>>
>>33578899
you pour a little bit of carb cleaner on it and light if on fire for a few second. that breaks it down and it wipes right off.
>>
I got a makarov that was covered in cosmoline, i just put it in hot soapy water and it scrubbed right off
>>
>>33580166
I'm not going to light my stock on fire.
>>
File: 81QwKBBg7wL._SL1500_.jpg (263KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81QwKBBg7wL._SL1500_.jpg
263KB, 1500x1500px
Easy mode
>>
>>33580487
It will be fine. Trust me.
>>
>>33578899
Stick it in the oven at low heat. Seriously, if it'll fit, that's the best way to do it.
>>
File: dothisidiots.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dothisidiots.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>33578899
I have no idea why anyone would go through the bake it in the sun method for anything but the wood but enjoy your gross black bag and partly melted cosmoline.

Do it the guaranteed way so you know its done right.

Dissemble your firearm completely. Get any container of your choosing that will hold all the pieces and fill it with acetone just until it covers the metal. The barrel and action can be placed in a capped tube if you really desire them to soak but flipping them around in even a small container while rinsing with your solvent will work fine. (paint thinner, MEK, gasoline will all work fine as well. toxicity levels up to you)

After letting them sit for a bit pick up each piece and scrub it with a toothbrush, nylon brush, or similar until all the cosmoline is off and it will fall off quick trust me.

I like to spray each piece down quickly with either some brake clean or action cleaner and place it on a clean cloth. Next stage is really just make sure theres no solvent or cosmoline left and to use your favorite CLP of choice to protect the metal.

For the wood stock you can use a hairdryer or a heat gun or even leaving it in direct sunlight. All you're trying to do here is get out the excessive cosmoline thats in the wood and wipe it away when it comes out. Once no more is coming to the surface you're done here. You can't be 100% with the wood unless you strip it completely and refinish so this will do fine.

Reassemble your firearm making sure everything is greased properly and enjoy.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.