[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun Safes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

What gun safe do you have? How well does it work for you, and how easy was it to get into your house and install?
>>
>>33575378
Yes. Have a big box that says "come pry me open."
>>
I have a small safe that I use for handguns.

But usually I conceal most of my weapons around the house. Expensive ones are harder to find, the cheap beaters are usually within arm's reach.
>>
>>33575391
What's more likely:
>Tweakers wanting quick cash rummage through your house trying to find whatever they can pawn looking to get a quick buck find your guns hidden in the closet throw them in a bag and pawn them in another state
>Expert house robbers break in, see your safe, decide that must be where all the valuables are kept and take the time and effort to crack it, rip it off the wall and drag a 500lb safe out your door and into a truck, or futilely try to drill it or pry it open
I'd prefer my guns not get into the hands of criminals who find them lying under the bed.
>>
>>33575403
>easter egg hunt tactics
>>
>>33575378
I put mine in a cellar. I had to angle down for it to fit through the hole
had to do it all by myself with a furniture dolly, was not fun
I ended up moving it to my garage a month ago, had some friends help me this time but I didnt have the dolly anymore so we had a system of rolley carts that we used to move the safe across my house. more complicated but better on my back
>>
>>33575423
but thats the smart thing to do
a safe can be opened with an angle grinder in 10 minutes
the best way to protect your guns is to hide them in the floor boards or in your walls
>>
>>33575378

>put fake security company sign in front of your house
>you are automatically ignored by 90% of robbers
>>
>>33575623
this and a beware of dog sign

also
>security film on windows
>extra deadbolts on doors
>heavy exterior doors with no windows

99% of home break ins are crimes of opportunity. If a criminal can't break in easily they will move on to an easier target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=96x2tO9Xuxw
>>
>>33575648
If he didn't waste a kicking the door repeatedly after it didn't work the first 3 times, he could have got in in 30 seconds. Still probably better than nothing
>>
>>33575391
>implying my gun safe in not hidden in a recess in the wall behind a bookshelf
Step it up.
>>
Fake water heater with guns inside.
Staircase where each stair is basically a small storage box, with locking bar along the side that is released or locked by an inconspicuous lever at top and bottom.
Fake floorboards with storage underneath.
>>
File: GunSafe&AmmoCloset.jpg (891KB, 1920x1564px) Image search: [Google]
GunSafe&AmmoCloset.jpg
891KB, 1920x1564px
>>33575378
>What gun safe do you have?

Cheap shit one that was meant to be temporary.

>How well does it work for you,

I put guns in it. It works for that aim.

>and how easy was it to get into your house and install?

The reason I got a cheap one was because it's lighter to get up the stairs and because it's a rental house.
>>
>>33575622
Or just hide the whole safe...?
>>33575721
Like this. I do the same exact thing, but mine's behind a wall tapestry instead.
>>
>>33575648
Why did his AR15 turn into a steel pipe?

That's pretty cool though I really like a lot of stuff 3m makes. I wonder if that stuff comes with a tint option. I was going to throw tinting on some of the windows for privacy but that film seems like a much better option.
>>
File: IMG_8354.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8354.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I have a Browning Prestige "safe"

It is 10 gauge steel had a cam system on the locking bolts. Weighs in at 1300 lbs empty. Bolted to concrete slab.

It is still just a fireproof gun locker. Can be cut open with a good sawzall in a minimal amount of time.

A real "safe" weighs over 3,000 lbs and has 1inch (or more) thick metal walls.
>>
>>33575378
I just keep my guns under my futon. Safes are a waste of money
>>
>>33575859

>VZ
>SG

jealous of your SG, leaf.
>>
>>33580633
>implying that your hypothetical "real safe" can't be cut open with a good plasma cutter in a minimal amount of time and isn't, accordingly, also still just a fireproof gun locker
>>
>>33580789
Plazam.cutters are popluar with burglars. My buddy Kurt got arrest for burglarly he used a plasma cutter.
>>
Just bought a steelwater extreme duty safe, 800 lbs unloaded, good enough for my 99% white neightborhood
>>
>>33580814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFr71MAFeD0
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
>>
>>33580866
I wish I lived in a 99% white neighborhood.
It sounds nice.
>>
File: IMG_8047.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8047.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33580789
Read my post again... I never implied I had a safe. I clearly stated I have a "gun locker". It is a nice one but it is only a little better than a cheap one as far as security goes. Mainly got it for fire. Not worries about tweekers breaking into it.
>>
>>33580980
do you not know what the word "hypothetical" means
>>
>>33581101
Post a link to a plasma cutter that can cut through 1 inch thick steel and isn't at least 3phase 220. You fucking know it all goon
>>
I have a shitty stack on safe I bought when I was renting.

Now I'm not, so I was thinking of getting a bigger, better, and a fire rated safe. Since I work at a store that selling browning products, I can buy their safes at 50% off MSRP (through this http://pk.browning.com/). I haven't really looked into whether they are actually good or not though.
>>
File: newfamily.jpg (471KB, 928x767px) Image search: [Google]
newfamily.jpg
471KB, 928x767px
>>33575378
>>
>>33581147
At least I know what words mean, unlike some people.
Besides, your qualification is meaningless, since anyone with a scrap of electrical engineering know-how can put together a 12V DC to 3 phase 220V adapter and run such a plasma cutter off their car.
>>
>>33581268
Will it run for more than 10 seconds.
>>
I turned a door into a false bookshelf for one of my closets. There's a hole in the back that you can put a key in to open it. Otherwise it just looks like a normal bookshelf. Not foolproof but not many robbers would take time to check that thoroughly.
>>
>>33580633
>>33580789
>>33580814
>>33580876
>>33581268
If someone is going to break in, kill my dog, find my safe then use the cutting wheel/saw or plasma cutter they happened to bring with them to crack my safe just to steal my slavshit and USP then they can have it
>>
>>33575721
how thicc are your walls?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-08-20-58-42.png (872KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-08-20-58-42.png
872KB, 1440x2560px
Pic related... Exact safe I have. Primarily for fire protection. I know its shirt-tier but it does what it needs to. Also california "requires" owners to have a safe if you have long guns...
>>
Can i " up armor" a safe.

Thinking about buying an rsc rated safe, then building a filled cmu wall around it, wirh rebar and high psi concrete.
>>
>>33575622
>not keeping your safe out of sight in an out-of-the-way room
Tyrone is probably more interested in quickly lifting your tv/electronics/jewelry or raping your white women than working at a safe with tools for an extended period of time
>>
>>33581297
Probably depends on the car.
>>
>>33575378
I just use the closet in the kids room.
>>
>>33581443
Can't hurt.
Your hillbilly bank vault certainly won't make the safe any LESS secure, so why not?
>>
>>33581443
Not a terrible idea. Would protect the weak sides, and if you inset the safe 12 inches or so would make prying a pain.
>>
File: 20150314_152426.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150314_152426.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33581443

Sure, at that point you might as well build yourself an armory though.
>>
>>33575622
how many thieves carry around an angle grinder?

and why the fuck would you have a safe and not a security system installed?

when i first got adt i set off the alarm on accident and forgot the code. they called my phone but my phone was dead.

like 5min later theres two squad cars outside my house and 4 cops ready to fuck some shit up.

get a security system dudes, cops are bored, a home intruder shoot out sounds like fun, they fucking fly towards that call.
>>
>>33583899
I ran out of safe storage space a few guns ago and have been considering this in reality.
>>
>>33575686
>>33578056

imagine double pained windows, with this shit on all sides.

now couple that with a security system, and that would be an incredible pain in the ass.
>>33575622
youve obviously never used an angle grinder, or seen how a safe is built. theres about 8-10 one inch thick steel bars to cut threw, not to mention the safe wall because you wont fit the angle grinder wheel between the gaps in the door.

oh and while your doing this, you are showing the inside in sparks and red hot flakes of steel.

not to mention, who randomly has an angle grinder?

if they came that prepared, they knew the safe was there, because either you told them, or told someone they know.
>>
>>33583980

It's a good problem to have. Most problematic thing is finding a sufficiently stout door. I managed to scavenged up an old jail cell door, welded 14 gauge hot-rolled sheet metal to the outside of it, packed the space between the bars with insulation and then welded another sheet onto the back side.
>>
>>33575391
I'm required by law to have one installed and inspected by the police before I got my first firearm
>>
Just a small 300 x 300 x 1500 one bolted down to comply with legislation
>>
>>33580727
>jealous of your SG, leaf.

Waffle, not leaf.
>>
File: gun safe gun locker.jpg (237KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
gun safe gun locker.jpg
237KB, 600x600px
>>33575378

I’ve mentioned this in past gun safe threads; instead of buying one huge ass gun safe, get a smaller one and buy another smaller safe as your collections grows.

One huge ass gun safe is a huge ass pain in the ass to move and I guarantee that if you’re under 40 years old, you won’t be in the same house for the rest of your life and that means hiring riggers to drag that huge ass gun safe from one house to another.

Also, one safe means all your guns are crammed into… well, one safe, and that means taking out half your collection to get to whichever gun you want (and it’s ALWAYS the gun in the back) and that means scratching and dinging up your guns pulling them out and putting them back (and piling them up somewhere as you fish for the one gun you want).

Multiple smaller safes also gives you more options as to where to place those safes, as huge ass safes can’t be located in upper floor rooms and you have the option to divide up your collection in different ways; expensive tacticool rifles in a higher cost safe, with milsurps in a cheaper toolbox-tier gun locker and so on.

And finally, huge ass safes are hugely expensive, you’ll get more cumulative gun storage space for less money with multiple smaller safes.
>>
>>33583899
post the rest
>>
>>33575391
That's why you buy a cheap safe and keep bullshit in it, and hide your guns in a wall like a normal person.
>>
>>33575859
>renting a house when it's cheaper to buy.
>>
>>33586502

No use putting yourself that much in debt, especially if you don't know if you're going to stick around there for long.
Also, our housing bubble has yet to burst here, but it eventually will. It's a rather big gamble to take if you're not going to stick around.
>>
>>33586538
I bought my house 3 years ago and it's doubled in value. Not really any risk.
>>
>>33586551
>I bought my house 3 years ago and it's doubled in value. Not really any risk.

Oh yes, because your own personal experience totally applies to everyone around the globe.
Thanks for your input, mr sample of one.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.