[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First AR - reliability/durability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: hd_mid16mod2.jpg (35KB, 997x332px) Image search: [Google]
hd_mid16mod2.jpg
35KB, 997x332px
Hey /k/

I am looking to get my first AR and I want to get a rifle with good durability. I want to run a rifle with a red dot and I have gotten a lot of advice and recommendations. Here is what I narrowed it down to:

1. Non-free float rifle with FSB, fixed rear iron sights, and Aimpoint PRO. My top choice I am looking at is BCM mid 16 mod 2.

2. Free float barrel with Aimpoint micro red dot and folding iron sights for max weight savings. Definitely like the DDM4V7.

I am looking to use this gun for personal defense.

I want a rifle that will have max reliability and durability against murphy moments. I was partially concerned about Daniel Defense after seeing the rail shift from AK operators. I wasn't sure if this was DD attachment problem or a reliability issue in general for free floated rails (I am not sure of how BCM KMR rails hold up to abuse).

Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
S&W M&P 15

change out the glass block and handguard your self later.
>>
>>33559108
>BCM KMR rails hold up to abuse

BCM KMRs are notoriously weak. Multiple videos of people bending the shit out of them. Granted, the guns will likely still function as long as the gas tube isn't bent but still...the KMR is definitely not a rail to consider if you want a super durable setup.
>>
>>33559218
Thanks for the reply. Is it the KMR-A or magnesium KMR that is causing issues with strength?
>>
>>33559108
Non free-float will be the most rigid. KMR-A rails are fine but avoid the regular KMR rails.

The free-floated barrel and flip-up sights are good for a magnified optic. Regular FSP and fixed sights are good for reliability and red dots
>>
>>33559388

I think the magnesium one is weaker, but both are very light (great) and very thin (bad) so just depends on how much durability you're willing to sacrifice for weight-savings. Also keymod is sorta dying so all the more reason to either get the DD mlok or just the basic bitch A2 BCM.
>>
>>33559408
That's what I wanted to know thank you. Besides the BCM rifle I mentioned above, are there any other recommended rifles with a solid FSB?
>>
>>33559433
Yeah I never was much of a fan when I looked at the keymod system...it just doesn't look pleasing to me. I told myself though that if a keymod rail was strong enough I could get past the looks but durability is my main goal here. I was ready to pull the trigger on a DDM4V7 until I saw the rail shift issue...
>>
>>33559453
AC-15 is probably the best value on the market
>>
>>33559519
Great suggestion wow for $689 that is amazing. Do you know if Aero's barrels are CHF or not? Is it really worth the extra buck?
>>
>>33559453
BCM is going to be your best bet for a fixed FSP rifle. Just make sure you don't plan to use magnified optics with it (it's doable but you'll have a front sight post in your way when looking through the optic)
>>
>>33559662
That brings a good question now...
The aero is $700. The BCM mid 16 mod 2 is running around $1400. Is the BCM rifle really worth twice the price asking?
>>
Can anyone recommend any 20 round magazines? Building my first AR next week.
>>
>>33559791
No
>>
>>33560043

http://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-AR15-M16-M4-20-round-USGI-Aluminum-Magazine-p/sp62103.htm
>>
OP here

Thanks everyone for your answers. I think I narrowed it down to the Aero ac-15 and BCM rifle. I appreciate all the inputs.
>>
>>33560358
Thanks friend.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.