[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Side Plates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: pb121639.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg (394KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
pb121639.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
394KB, 900x675px
What's /k/s take on side plates for a plate carrier?

Worth the extra weight? A meme?
>>
>>33556321
>get arm shot off because you are so slow because you're packing around underarm retard squares
>at least it didn't go into my side
>>
>>33556337
This. Fuck side plates, armored and extended epaulets are where it's at.

Seriously though, im kind of curious myself.
>>
Only reason I got them is because a cousin of mine who was a marine was killed from the side over in Iraq
>>
>>33556321
i have a pair, but don't use them in my carrier if that's any indication.
>>
>>33556321
won't apply to like 90% of us but my buddy told me that his unit stopped issuing them after a guy's humvee got hit by an IED and the side plates shot through the carrier and basically dismembered both of his arms.
>>
>>33556321
Depends. Are you in a high risk environment where getting shot is a real possibility? Yeah they're worth it.

Is this for your SHTF bug out kit? Probably not.
>>
>>33556505
>10% of /k/ommandos are liable to be blown up
I mean, if you count tannerite mishaps, I guess.
>>
We could opt in or out, but I chose to wear them. Two guys that opted out and just wore the plate wound up dead. First guy got plugged by something big through his midsection, right to left, so I'm not sure a plate would have saved him. Talking 12.7 big. Second guy got hit by an AK up close, one shot, through his left side when he walked by a little hole in a wall. That would have saved him.
>>
I didn't wear mine, but I know a guy who got hit in the side plate and it knocked him off a building. saved his life.
>>
>>33556337
That's why I don't wear rear plates either. I don't plan on running lol
>>
>>33557423
That's exactly what the rangers said in Somalia before getting BTFO
>>
>>33556321
I have a close friend of mine who was shot in the side twice early on in Iraq first time without plates second time with. Said that the second time was a less painful lesson he had learned earlier on.

Before anyone gets all "hurr lurn 2 duck!" both times were in the Korengal, and anyone whos studied the region knows theres a totally fucked social and political dynamic going on there, especially back in 2008.
>>
>>33557573
>>33557423
Black hawk down?
>>
>>33556321
A friend of mine served in Iraqi freedom. One day took a 7.62 round to the side. Plates stop it. So I dunno, yeah they're heavy, but saved my friend. You decide.
>>
>>33557407
Hey wait, 3ID/3ABCT OIF6?
>>
>>33557792
25ID 2-35inf OEF11-12
>>
File: USMC-01024.jpg (362KB, 798x1200px) Image search: [Google]
USMC-01024.jpg
362KB, 798x1200px
I actually want some of these memes here.

>I already got my hands on an A.P.E.S. upgrade kit, i'm invincible
>>
File: sadpepe.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sadpepe.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>33557423
>teleports behind you
>nothing personal kid

>yfw you shouldve wore a rear plate
>>
>>33557423
said the guy who's never seen urban combat.
>>
>>33561438
If you're quicker on the draw and have good aim you don't even need plates. Just don't be a pussy
>>
>>33557423
>There was a case where soldiers didn't carry rear plates and they had a lot of casualties because bullets would hit them in the back than bounce off the frontal armor & cause more damage.
>>
>>33556706
I heard about the guy that lost his leg shooting tannerite

Retard used it to blow up a lawn mower.... he was standing too close to it.
>>
>>33556321
If you're planning on heavy fighting then I'd say yeah.
ESPECIALLY in high frag environments.
I don't know so much about hard ones, but I do keep a couple soft IIIA ones on hand just in case.
>>
>>33557900
twennnnnnyfif

trop ick lite ning
>>
Fragmentation scares the shit out of me but it's basically impossible to get body armor here in emu land. There any sort of alternative or am I basically fucked?
>>
>>33557636
dickhead, Korengal Valley is in Afghanistan
shit was cash there, just look up that one documentary
>>
>>33562765
epoxy and tarps. seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jiIQOgwtI
>>
>>33557636
Korengal is in Afghanistan... not Iraq
>>
>>33562765
Just use an old plough or something
>>
>>33556321
I think side plates are pretty useful when you're in car and you're gonna be taking shots from the sides. At the same time I don't think it's necessary but it's still useful.
>>
>>33556505
I'm sure it was the blast alone that sheered his arms off. People in the Army tend to make stupid conclusions sometimes.
>>
>>33561461
thinking your some gunslinging-rambo
-ass-motherfucker gets you killed, bucko
>>
This seems like a good thread to ask

I started my /k/ career humbly doing IDPA to responsibly carry but I've accidentally signed up for the rhodesian camo project in 2013 and now I accidentally own a UBAC, but no armor of any kind.

Wat get? What are the prices? What are my options? How much do they weigh? Is there a pastebin? An armor general? All I know is what I've seen in Doorkickers loadouts. (raider vests all day erryday)
>>
>>33556321
Any situation where side plates would be worthwhile is the same where you would need lvl 4 plates for your face, neck, shoulders, arms, elbows and knees, feet, ankles, thighs, groin, each ass cheek, each ball, your shoulder blades, several overlapping plates for your spine, and various other spots as well.

If you're not doing all of them there's no point in doing a few besides your vitals. If you're letting people flank you plates aren't going to help you.
>>
>>33562765
For what reason are you concerned with fragmentation? Do you plan on wearing armor in case of durka attack or something? I don't think it's worth worrying about in Australia.
>>
>>33556321
I think that in a general purpose kit for autists LARPing as operators its okay to keep soft level III stuff in there at all times because your fantasy insurrection is always going to involve shrapnel IRL. Rifle plates may be worth it in a real situation depending on exactly what you're doing.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.