[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prep Thread General /PrTG/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 14

File: Crazy-Prepper.jpg (8KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
Crazy-Prepper.jpg
8KB, 290x174px
Home base edition.

So I have a couple of questions:
1. What does your current base/plan look like
2. If you could design your dream home/base camp what would it be/contain?

Standard shout-out
>Shtf
>Teotwawki
>Bob

Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/raw/FhKXrmYh
>>
File: 1486069611261.jpg (251KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486069611261.jpg
251KB, 768x1024px
>>33553791
Honestly at the moment I'm pretty fucked, >a half complete bob
>No guns because I'm a poor immigrant and everything goes on rent or food
>Fucking off to half the year this year.
Honestly if something happens I'm grabbing our stuff and heading north to family in North Alabama. More rural and a large community spirit.

As far as my dream one?
>Victorian home
>Three acres
>Crops, bees, wells
>Rainwater collection
>Reinforced windows and doors
But this won't be for a while yet.

Think something like pic but with more crops and an American Victorian home.
>>
>>33553791
Caltrops. Caltrops everywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVikd64HWc
>>
>>33553791
That looks cozy
>>
File: gold silver.jpg (33KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
gold silver.jpg
33KB, 356x200px
>>33553791
Why are there so many prepper guys who invest in gold/silver?

The material would be completely useless in any form of SHTF scenario and would be better spent investing in useful things you could trade (caned food, water filters, fuel, ammo, lighters, batteries).

Silver and gold should never be invested in, it's like investing in video games and hoping that everybody will have a ps3 to play the games and that the electricity grid doesn't get fucked so you can still power it.
>>
>>33554174
Oh god not this again, ok I'll give you the short version.

Short term gold and silver will be useful as people will still think it's nothing serious and accept it.

Medium length shtf, it'll likely be useless, people will look for skills or consumables, things that they can eat drink or shoot etc.

Long term, precious metals will likely make a comeback as it has done with every human civilization.

I personally am not planning on investing it it but hey each to their own.
>>
>>33554174
>useless
Gold has been completely useless for the majority of humanity's existence, we've only recently discovered that we actually can do shit with it. That didn't stop thousands of years of people worshipping and collecting it.
>>
>>33554174
Because they're morons with poor planning skills.
>>
>>33554310
Only during times of economic stability. When shtf clean water, food, and shelter will be worth far more than gold.
>>
>>33554158
wherever you drop those would be like a mine field for eternity unless you seriously kept track of them and their exact locations.

could you imagine wanting to start a field of produce or put cattle somewhere and have to find every single one of these?
>>
>>33554413
metal detector and a lot of time would do it
>>
File: 05-abandoned-castle-664x396.jpg (84KB, 664x396px) Image search: [Google]
05-abandoned-castle-664x396.jpg
84KB, 664x396px
>>33553791
1.University , parents have a suburban house so prolly not great
2.Dream house? Probably pic related except not fucked
>>
>>33554749
Though in all honestly how effective would caltrops be against infantry? I thought it was generally used to sow cavalry
>>
File: island bunker.jpg (42KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
island bunker.jpg
42KB, 564x423px
>>
>>33554864
It would slow down infantry too i suppose- provided they were there in number, Long grass, you wouldnt see them and they wouldnt be pleasant to step on, then everyone would be nervous and trying to prod the grass before them and then formation +speed ruined
>>
>>33554924
>>33554864
I see od/tan spray paint for modern use
>>
>>33554924
I mean unless you were making them super sharp I'd have thought that it would be about as inconvenient as standing on a pointed stick, the reason I thought caltrops worked with cavalry was the high impact force the hooves had coming down onto it + the weight of the horse and Rider.
>>
>>33555224
ever stepped on lego?
They were very sharp , the one that old chap made is, frankly, a pretty shit one, he was probably under time preassure for the camera.
Granted you would need long grass or rough terrain and significant numbers for infantry.

You are correct about the horses, the hooves are pretty tough, the high speed and impact makes the caltrop go through.
The question is, why caltrops and not stakes?
Caltrops were useful because cavalry couldnt see them, they would try and make a charge, then if the front ranks fall then many of the other line will collide with them, so you really didnt need too many .

>>33555096
a little smaller, and sharper of course too. Would be very unpleasant, especially at night. Would need a lot though
>>
>>33554060
Your infographic is fucked. Number 4 is missing
>>
File: 1486069680643.jpg (240KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486069680643.jpg
240KB, 768x1024px
>>33555494
Well first I didn't make it but did you actually read what number four said?

>"Not enough space to produce a reasonable quantity"

I.e. they didn't put it in there, they were simply saying that with this plan you wouldn't have the space for grain.

Unlike this plan where there is more space.
>>
>>33555447
I imagine having a spike moat covered in tar would be pretty threatening, think of the opening scene to the Eagle, one torch and your whole camp is surrounded by flaming spikes.
>>
>>33554328
i'll be happy to trade some clean water for peoples gold.
>>
>>33555447
imagine going to drink like some milk or something and there being a jack in there and you swallow it.
>>
>>33555860
it would be extremely painful

>>33555765
i suppose it would pose a threat of setting fire to your own castle , warping the stone and choking your defenders

spikes in of themselves in the moat?
idk how useful it would be, theyre not likely to impale themselves on the odd stake, although with modern materials you could make clusters of very thin and very sharp ones.

Would be easier to just have crocodiles or jellyfish or something tho
>>
File: 31221579.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
31221579.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>33556037
>>
I just moved and want to plant a variety of fruit trees around my property...Can I get a quick rundown? Like time of year, where to get seedlings, how long before they bear fruit, etc.
>>
>>33556084
It depends are you growing from a see? Getting sapling? Or actually buying young trees?
>>
File: mouth.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mouth.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>33556037
How would a jack fit in there? How wide do you open your mouth when you drink, you dirty whore.
>>
>>33556139
This for this
>>33555860
My apologies
>>33556037
>>
>>33556139
Did I miss something how did we go from caltrops to Jack's in milk?
>>
>>33556116
I don't know...probably saplings? Unless I can get young trees cheaply. I don't want to spend more than $10 per plant, so I will grow from seeds if I have to.
>>
>>33556319
Well you'll be looking at a fair bit of time until you'll be getting fruit from it, now I'm still new to gardening but I'd say a couple of years maybe.

I planted a pair of pine trees at the end of December they are now currently about two inches tall if that's any reference.
>>
Oh and for anyone curious the Prepper PDF currently stands at 113 pages and 26,569 words, a little larger than I initially anticipated.
>>
>>33557163
http://www.prepperwebsite.com/
links to this
http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2017/04/preppers-guide-diy-welding.html

>Car battery welder (no).
>Welding helmet hard to come by( Like 30 bucks for a fixed shade.)
>Realize he mean't shielding gas, not shielding 'glass'.
>Doesn't even discuss welding.
>Comments are closed.

I almost want to say the author is generally retarded.
>>
>>33553791
I'd say I'm pretty set. Live on a 100+ acre ranch in rural Texas, about 25 miles south of Ft Worth.
50+ head of cattle
4 horses
2 natural gas wells on our land
Our own water well and pump
About 30 guns in our stockpile and countless rounds off ammo.
>>
>>33557240
What on earth is that?
>>
>>33557255
Out of curious do your animals just feed off the land? Or do you have feed for them, would that be something you run out of if the grid went down?
>>
>>33557289
Generally speaking they just eat wild grass, any hay or feed that's given is just a bonus really.
>>
>>33557398
Fair enough, that's not to bad at all. What do you have in the way of crops or food storage?
>>
>>33557289
>hay in texas
dudes are literally spic tier about leaving it to get fucking wet/moldy. no clue why and I've literally never been to a place other than TX where feeding horses damp shit was acceptable.
>>
>>33557472
Don't have any crops going at the moment besides some tomatoes, but I have tons and tons of seeds.
Haven't really thought much about storage.
>>33557482
Idk who you're talking about but I damn sure don't feed any damp hay
>>
>>33555224
>> Average urbanite/purveyor of cultural enrichment wearing boots with decent soles...
>>
>>33557541
Good point, well made
>>33557528
I mean that may be something you look into, seeds are good but its a long term investment, you'd need some food until they grow.
>>
>>33557604
Any recommendations? Never really looked into food storage.
Or should I just stock up on a couple cases of mountain house freeze dried stuff?
>>
>>33557642
It depends, I personally advocate a minimum of two weeks food, now that can be beans and rice, mountain house, or those 3600 calorie bars. The choice really is up to you.

It largely depends on what you are prepping for, for example, hurricane or twister, two weeks would do you fine, if you are frugal you could make it last a month. Now if you re going whole hog then you may want to look into drying/dehydrating or canning or if you don't want that effort you can look at the big pallets of mountain house and the like that last for 6+ months.

As I said it's up to you, you can shop around, some people will advocate for certain ones that they like but calories are calories at the end of the day.
>>
>>33557528
good. all panhandle hay is nigger rigged and wet. I've never seen it covered, ever. definitely would not buy.
>>
File: IMG_1576.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1576.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33557749
Going with freeze dried seems like the best option. Prepping for Civil Unrest really, hurricanes are a non issue and twisters happens all the time.
>>33557820
The entire panhandle is nigger rigged
>>
>>33557902
Fair enough, you can probably find a decent freeze dryer online.

You have 100+ acres, even with civil unrest how close are you to anyone haha
>>
>>33554174
>invest

Metals are not an investment. They're a hedge. Just another resource to give you more options.

Loke every other resource, metal has to be used at the right time. You don't trade it for necessities. The anons who push that meme, pro or con, are a drooling pack of short sighted retards.

Metal is used to pump up your available cash during inflationary times, when you might need to pay extra to top off existing stockpiles of necessities. It is fucking useless in a barter economy.

All that being said, stay away from gold. It's too volatile. Put no more than $2K into silver, mostly 1 and 5 ounce bars or rounds. It's a part of your plan, not the basis of it.
>>
>>33555447
Grow barriers of roses or blackberries. Those are like nature's own concertina wire. Then salt the underlayer with sharpened stakes, ideally T-posts cut down to 2 foot lengths and driven in halfway.

The biggest advantage of caltrops is that they're fast to deploy.
>>
>>33556084
Depends on what USDA zone you're in. Your local nursery should have the varieties that do well in your area.
>>
>>33558951
I'd go with blackberry's over roses simply because of the added food.

The issue with caltrops I can see is if you think shits going down and sprinkle them everywhere they will be an absolute bitch if it turns out to be a false alarm. Even worse you forget where you've thrown them and accidentally spike yourself.
>>
>>33554174

>current year
>not buying brass "gold" bars for SHTF
>>
>>33553791
Right now I live in the middle section of a 3 story apt. The apt. complex was made to hurricane specs and I've repurposed my second bedroom into a storage room with a reloading bench. Also, I've strung up old Christmas lights in every room to a solar power relay and turned my patio into a garden for vegetables and spices.

My dream home is a 3 bed, 2 bath hurricane house on a half acre of land with a solar system on the roof and a shed with a small still to make alcohol.
>>
>>33559020
They're a tool. Keep keep them stiff Mylar bags, 50 per bag. For larger sizes, use Mylar lined burlap sacks. The Mylar is to prevent snagging and insure dispersal.

Stage bags at areas that you would want to be able to cover in a hurry, like access points through your blackberry barriers.

A horde of goblins shows up, sprinkle the contents of the bags in the access ways. Mount your defense. Goblins die or leave, go collect your caltrops with a big magnet onna stick. Count the number of bags you emptied, multiply by 50, that's how many you're recovering.

Get one of those wheeled magnet bars that roofers use to clean up jobsites. That'll cover 3 or 6 feet per pass.
>>
>>33560405
Fair enough, I mean personally to me I think it sounds a little long winded but if it works for you then hell yeah fuck those goblins up.
>>
>>33558805
I buy silver as a long term investment.

The chance that it will be worth less in 20-30 years is pretty slim. I also watch the price religiously.
>>
>>33561601
How much do you have? I imagine if you are buying as an investment you have more than a couple of lumps.
>>
>>33558951
Well if we are going to go all in we need 2 metre tall thorn hedges and blackberry bushes, casually strewn with barbed wire and perhaps a land-mine or two, then a few stakes and caltrops.

Dont want to kill a poor hedgehog or fox though
>>
>>33564106
>Guy tries dating your daughter
>Thinks he is smart and tries to sneak in
>Spots gap in the thorns
>NowsMyChance.jpg
>Sneaks through while getting picked by thorns but no big deal
>Gets some small cuts from razor wire, wtf?
>Suddenly feels a sharp pain in his foot.
>Looks down, caltrops smeared with shit
>Pull it out, man fuck this.
>Turns to leave
>Click
>Boom
>Never have to worry about someone dating your daughter again.
>>
>>33564192
What is the legality of that? I mean, it's private property, but boom boom device.
>>
>>33564328
My guess is that you'd likely end up modeling one of those pretty orange jumpsuits.
>>
>>33564449
That's what I figured, but what if you remove that? Then can they do anything to you? If you live in a non-communist state that is.
>>
I guess I'll post mine:

Current house has a second story, above the treeline, with 360° visibility. So that's nice.
Have a cattle pasture next door, if it really comes to it, buy a bull + 3 cows.
Already have an extensive garden, closest house that isn't close relation is 2+ mi away, everyone in the family owns at least 5 guns. Start our homestead and fortify after shtf.
>>
>>33564582
Honesty I don't see why the rest would be any different that having barbed wire around your property, so what if it's caltrops and razor wire tell them it's to keep out bears or some shit.
>>
>>33564615
I'll let my shitposting intensify, what are you planning on doing/using to fortify?
>>
>>33565296
There are a lot of mechanically inclined fellows that are within a stone's throw from me that would be living on said homestead. Plans will probably be drawn up as needed, or if we feel an immediate threat. It'll probably mostly be watchtowers hidden just inside a treeline (somewhere intelligent), or the like. We have enough solar panels to do anything we would need. (charge walkies, open a p2p Wan of sorts) just depends on how we want to go about everything. We own the radios to do communication over 2.4, 3.5, and 5.8 ghz bands, so we wouldn't have a problem communicating over 10mi.
>>
File: pepe 1990.jpg (2KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
pepe 1990.jpg
2KB, 100x100px
Any thoughts or experiences with Tesla's powerwall2 or their solar roof tiles?

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall
https://www.tesla.com/solar
>>
>>33565296
>>33565392
Sorry for the quickly written response. Shitposting from my phone at work right now.
>>
Wish I could do more than just slowly stock food and basic supplies. Highly doubt anything huge would happen around here that isn't humanity ending. The only real disaster potential is another earthquake on the Mississippi like back in the 1800's or perhaps an ice storm matching the one we got in 2012. In that case I'd probably be alright, if not crazy comfortable. It'd be Katrina level of disaster so I'm planning on stocking up for enough to last a few months till rescue.

I've got food, ammo, water filtration/purification, decent first aid supplies, camping equipment, kayak, and propane. All I really lack is a nice little generator. Plus my trailer is in a good spot away from things that could fall on it so I'd be better off than most of the traditional houses around here.

Also, while my immediate neighbors are great, there's a fucking hillbilly Waco compound just up the road from me, "don't tread on me" flag and all. If something so much as the cable going out happened I have a feeling those morons would be the first ones out looting and fucking up the place. Luckily they're like 10 miles up the road but still. I need to work out a plan to "defend" my neighborhood if necessary, but I honestly doubt I could accomplish much without ambushing someone coming in. Given the "Hills have eyes" level of things I've glimpsed inside while driving by, it wouldn't surprise me if they went full mad Max within a week.
>>
>>33565645
No biggie, sounds like a decent enough plan. If you have the space for it you can get precut boards or metal that fit your windows that if shit happens you can slap them on rather than having to fabricate something up yourself. Just a thought.
>>
File: toptoiletpaper2.jpg (13KB, 341x341px) Image search: [Google]
toptoiletpaper2.jpg
13KB, 341x341px
If you don't have twice as many rolls as you do rounds of ammunition, you aren't prepared for shit.
>>
>>33568039
Not going to prefab stuff, in case we want to use the stuff for other projects.
>>
>>33568039
I forgot to number the solar panels as well. We have probably 40 full-size panels at our disposal, and the know how on how to run them.
>>
File: can-stock-photo_csp2693132.jpg (45KB, 337x470px) Image search: [Google]
can-stock-photo_csp2693132.jpg
45KB, 337x470px
>>33559020
I would go roses over sticker bushes because roses don't spread. Like wildfire and wild roses are way thornier than a blackberry bush.
>>
>>33568407
Honestly I don't really buy into this, you can have rags to do that and it's not to difficult to clean, hell you can buy hand crank washing machines now. And how much TP can you really store for a 8 man team let's say, you'd have more TF than food and water to last for any long period of time.
>>
>What does your current base/plan look like
base: shitty apartment
plan: die

I need to unfuck my life before I can start prepping
>>
>>33568989
Why not both?

Hell prepping doesn't have to involve having two years of food and a garden growing enough to feel a small country. Simply going to the dollar store and getting some canned goods and bottled water are a good start.
>>
>>33564328
Booby traps are pretty much illegal everywhere in the US. That's why you go with blackberries and roses as barriers, laced with stakes and concertina wire. Passive = barrier. Dynamic/reactive = booby trap. Save the booby traps for when shit's gone really south, so you don't get arrested or sued.

Organic barriers are very low maintenance, and can be worked into a landscaping scheme so they're not real obvious. Do a moat and berm around your property, then put blackberries and roses in the moat and on the outer face of the berm.
>>
>>33570049
That's what I thought though I didn't want to say for certain and have someone sperg out on me.
>>
File: bike.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
My only plan now is a bug out bag and bug out bicycle. I figure I'll be kill.
>>
>>33570351
Where to?
>>
>>33570509
Either towards or away from danger depending on how quick I want to die.
>>
>>33570886
That gave me a chuckle
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.