[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would 7.62z39 soft points be sufficient for home defense, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: Simonov-Russian-SKS45.jpg (55KB, 700x133px) Image search: [Google]
Simonov-Russian-SKS45.jpg
55KB, 700x133px
Would 7.62z39 soft points be sufficient for home defense, or am I better of getting a shotgun?
>>
Unless you have concrete walls, 7.62 is going to exit your house.
>>
Literally any gun designed in the last 130 years is "sufficient" for home defense. Now, as to whether it's the best choice or not, that's a different question.
>>
>>33548605
A 7.62x39 sp round with go through 1/4 steel plating. I shot my .22 plinking target with a few chink soft point rounds from 75 yards away, had three nice round holes in it. So unless you don't care about over penetrating at point blank, find something else to shoot with.
>>
>>33548775
Pic related
>>
>>33548664
>>33548775
Figures. I'll just get a shotgun then.
>>
Rifle if body armor is a factor in your AO

Shotgun otherwise, especially innawoods with coyotes or wild dogs.
>>
>>33548605
Go with a shotgun

They're cheaper and- typically- don't over penetrate.

In my opinion, a good old shell of buckshot is ideal for home defense.
>>
File: pepechaos.jpg (198KB, 796x595px) Image search: [Google]
pepechaos.jpg
198KB, 796x595px
>>33548605
12ga, by far. If you buy a new 870, be aware the action may jam unless you're fucking slamming the foregrip back and forward. Get a magazine picatinny mount and screw a flashlight on that piece. Go with 00 buck and slugs for HD. Proceed to obliterate unarmored intruders.
>>
>>33548605
Oh fucking grow up. You don't live in Somalia. What is it with you wankers and home defence? You give gun owners in other countries a bad name.
>>
File: 3454865431.png (474KB, 974x573px) Image search: [Google]
3454865431.png
474KB, 974x573px
>>33550599
lol
>>
>>33548605
Not only is 7.62x39 not great for home defense, it looks a hell of a lot worse in court than 20ga does, and 20ga will do the job.

When considering home defense remember, fighting off the invaders and defending your life is only half the battle in America.
>>
>>33550599

>>>>>>>33550618
(Structural integrity destroyed)
>>
>>33551125
This, 20 is best for home defence, plenty of power and a 7 year old girl can handle the recoil.
>>
>>33548605
Yes. No.
>>
>>33551125
>Not only is 7.62x39 not great for home defense

this sort of appeasement BS is why the US's 2ndA is this eroded. the 2ndA guarantees the freedom to own a 20mm autocannon and it's use on those who unlawfully enter your property.
>>
>>33551125
>it looks a hell of a lot worse in court
I can't think of any justified home defense shooting where the type of legally owned gun used in defense was called into question and became the linchpin of the case.
>>
>>33551191
its gonna happen with this most recent self defense case.
>>
>>33551242
Except they're not going to prosecute him since the police deemed it a legitimate "self defense situation". OK's castle doctrine also grants immunity from civil prosecution in such cases as well. None of the kids were black so you won't have Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson showing up to incite riots and demand "justice" for the criminals either. Literally nothing will happen to the kid.
>>
>>33548605
>soft points be sufficient for home defense, or am I better of getting a shotgun?
Yes, and probably yes.
>>
>>33550618
>intruders armed with a pocket knife and brass knuckles
>>
>>33551736
You point being ? They were three, even if you're a kung fu master you're fucked if unarmed
>>
>>33551779
Point being this isn't somalia
>>
>>33550599
because crime is a thing, evil people exist, there are people who wish to do evil things to you and your loved ones and I would like to protect them...or atleast try.
>>
>>33551822
People get shot or killed pretty regularly in home invasions though. This happened recently near my hometown....

http://www.myssnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35650:three-killed-in-separate-titus-county-robbery-attempts&catid=94:state-news&Itemid=351

Then there was this weird incident that occured a month earlier...

http://www.kltv.com/story/34467028/sheriff-1-shot-in-neck-after-man-followed-lost-driver-opened-fire-on-vehicle
>>
>>33551191
It is absolutely a thing now a days, especially with customization mods where people are adding shit to their guns like "Born to Kill" with a bunch of edgy skulls or "Molon Labe" Shit like that doesn't look good.

And they will ask you why you had your WASR with the 75 rd Drum and the $400 sight just sitting next to your bed, and if your reason is "Just in case I need to kill some people dead" well you're probably not going to do so good.

Such is life in a 1st world country with an established (albeit shitty as fuck) criminal justice system.

>>33551169
Good luck with that one, Elmer.
>>
>>33548605
My sks with S&B soft points makes very big holes in deer.
Half the time they don't come out the other side and I find a nice lead mushroom in a pool of gore.
Plus if the guy is on you before you can get your shots off or your gun loaded you have a short spear.
But the rounds will go through many walls before stopping.
>>
>>33551736
>I would rather that niggers do whatever niggers do with brass knuckles to my kid than have my kid shoot them
>>
>>33548605
Shotgun wins at shotgun range. Houses are shotgun range
>>
There is no equivalent to 75gr OTM or TAP in 7.62x39, thus I cannot recommend using that caliber for HD at all. You are going to be at extreme risk of sending rounds through the next two houses versus the handful of "two sheets of drywall" loads available for 5.56, doubly so if you're using regular ball. I would highly recommend using one of your pistols instead.
>>
>>33552494
Shotguns are the worst HD weapon conveivable. Shot functions as a slug at that range and God fucking help you and anyone near you if you miss because something is going to get fucking destroyed. Pray it's not one of the things you were fighting to defend.
>>
>>33552534
Are you implying that this is worse than shooting randomly through your walls at all of the houses in your neighborhood?
>>
OP here, forgot to mention I live in a rural area.

My neighbors aren't close enough for me to worry too much about overpenetration (unless I was using x54R, but my Nugget is not a home defense weapon).

I would just prefer not to obliterate my walls and destroy something that might be holding the house together, or whatever.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.