[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Water cooled miniguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: HH-3-minigun-vietnam-19681710.jpg (10KB, 220x175px) Image search: [Google]
HH-3-minigun-vietnam-19681710.jpg
10KB, 220x175px
My friend wondered why we don't use watercooled miniguns after a movie scene where a guy cuts cars in half with sustained fire trying to walk shots into the good guys. He told me some guy in the military told him a story about how he overheated one in training and the barrel got fucked up. He insisted that it'd be an "evolution" in gun design to cool miniguns with a vehicle's cooling system for sustained fire and that controlled bursts are just the military being told to baby equipment.

I don't really know much about how the military actually fights, but it seems like it'd be a really unnecessary change for something that isn't a big problem in the first place. What are the logistical/practical concerns preventing it?
>>
>>33548288
>cool miniguns with a vehicle's cooling system for sustained fire
Dead in the water. They're not going to destroy engines just to keep a gun cool when the gun doesn't need cooling beyond air cooling to do its job.
>>
>>33548288
>Some guy in the military told him

Sounds legit. I've fired rifles until the barrel has glowed red hot. Like a sith Lords lightsaber. It takes a fucking lot to warp a barrel. Not saying it's not possible, but I've never seen it happen.
>>
>>33548288

Probably wouldn't even need that man. A closed system unattached from the vehicles cooling system would be sufficient. The only problem I see is how do you get a water jacket around a set of rotating barrels without leaks or just another seal to maintain.
>>
File: doughboys.jpg (121KB, 592x559px) Image search: [Google]
doughboys.jpg
121KB, 592x559px
The military needs to baby machine guns because people are depending on them to preform. Suppose you try to flop your cock out and go Rambo and blow apart something or decommission your weapon. Now you and your fellow soldiers in your machine gun crew have thumbs in your asses while you aren't providing cover fire for everyone else. Gets people killed.
>>
>>33548288
Protip the second reason they have all dem spinning barrels instead of one fixed barrel is for the air cooling and reduced speed of heating(each barrel used 1 shot per rotation instead of for every shot).
>>
>>33548288
Pretty sure miniguns can manage if the aircraft is moving. If you shoot from a jeep or a slow moving vehicle you'd have to burst.
>>
ammo isn't going to last long enough to make a water cooled sleeve for the barrels practical and the bolts are already much cooler. You could build any kind of set up you want: radiator, cooling tower, piped refridgerent with a purge vent, but you're going to with you had the equivalent weight in ammo or spent it on a stabilizing system.
>>
>>33548288
The whole point of multiple barrels allow extremely rapid fire without overheating.

Watercooling a mini-gun is attempting to solve a problem thats already been solved.
>>
>>33548708
This.
Now we can use the brain power we saved to design a bullpup minigun.
>>
>>33548708
>>33548752

Wrong again, idiots.
>>
>he thinks miniguns need to be water cooled
Ringalingaling, retard alert class!
By the time you have a minigun running for so long that heat damage becomes a possibility, whatever you've bolted that minigun too has been in one place for FAR too long. At that point you should have just fired ordinance at the target.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.